1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife wants a Burghman. When I get her one, I'll give it a try. If I like it, I'll ride it and not care what anyone else thinks, I don't feel it would be a threat to my masculinity, and neither does my wife. John Burns gave a good review of the Burghman in Cycle World a few years ago. If Burns thinks something's crap, he'll let you know by writing something like "Don't be a schmo. Buy something else."

·
Registered
26 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, who do you ride for? Yourself or someone else?

I ride for me. If you don't like what I ride then....too bad! (I tried to think of something cool, but it escaped me).

My response to the Harley guys a few months ago during the strike was the retail value of a used Harley was much better then anything else. So What !! I don't care what someone else will pay later. What do I (me, not someone untold years in the future) think it's worth today? ME!

Of course, in the future, I will place great value on it as it's on the auction block, but today! That's the question.

I suppose the difference is perspective. Who determines your value system? Someone behind the scenes at kelley blue book or YOU! Choose or be damned! Personally, I don't give a s__t about someone I've never met who will value my ride either up or down. I set the values in my life, not some unknown dweeb I'll never meet and, frankly, don't care about one way or another.

RosevilleRod

·
Registered
22 Posts
MO readers deserve better than this poorly researched article.

Cushman and Salsbury supplied scooters to the (WW2) war effort and along with the the Mustang (built in SoCal) were favorite mounts in the '50's and early '60's.

Growing up in SoCal in the '50's, scooters were a common sight, and by the very early '60's Vespas were common as well as the more upscale Lamberretta.

Harley also offered a excellent scooter called the Topper which featured a automatic transmission in the early to mid '60's

People rode them for the same reason as they do today: affordable, low center of gravity, low maintenance and compatible with most weather conditions.

There is little in the way of camaraderie between scooters or motorcycles then or now.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
As someone who knows little about scooters yet alone motorcycles (that was a GPTB preemptive strike), I loved this article. I don't have the benefit of years of experience riding or working on motorcycles or scooters. I came late to the sport or rather I think it's an obsession for me. So I am like the kid at the Burger Barn gobble up anything article or writing about things with only two wheels. Rory thanks for writing this, I loved it. I wave at scooters too, sometimes I don't know they are riding a scooter until they have passed me i.e. they are the big Silver wing type. I once saw a gaggle of Silver Wings like you see Gold Wings that was a cool site..

·
Registered
14 Posts
What a bunch of crap!

I ride a scooter because (a) it is lighter than a full sized motorcycle (my Honda Helix weighs less than 350 pounds wet.)

(b) it gets close to 70 miles per gallon (and is my vehicle of choice for most errands.)

(c) it is quiet and easy to handle

(d) medical issues keep me from swinging a leg over a motorcycle

(e) with its 64 inch wheelbase the Helix handles crosswinds and turbulence well

(f) although only 244cc it accelerates well ahead of most automotive traffic up to 50 or 60 mph

(g) with its built-in "saddlebags" the Helix often carries 4 or 5 bags of groceries.

That's why I ride a scooter; so what's the problem?

I enjoy riding in the open air, on a highly maneuverable vehicle, occupying a small amount of space and consuming an equally small share of the world's resources. There is also the pleasure of going (only occasionally, I admit) where sedans and pickups won't fit.

Best of all, I sure as hell don't need your approval for what I choose to ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dream bikes at this very moment are:

Vespa GTS 250 i.e.

Ducati GT1000

Anyone who thinks scooters are for sissies or girls only, or who thinks scooters aren't "real motorcycles" is an ass.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Suchet has succeeded in insulting the intelligence of both scooter riders and motorcyclists with his one-paragraph, half-baked attempt at exploring the psyche of both. So Rory, by riding a Concours, are you telling us that your genitalia are overweight, unrefined, and outmoded as compared with the current competition? Is a woman who rides a motorcycle manly? Is the rider of a Burgman 650 more manly than the rider of a FZ6? Your article leaves so many unanswered questions.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
They honestly look like... well... fun!

Me and the lady are both interested in riding (i rode a little as a kid shes always been a passenger) and I really think it would be nice for some shorter touring trips, not really sure about long distance and i want something fun!

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: HOLY CRAP!

I am hoping to turn over a new leaf but fear I pissed Buz, longride, seruzawa, Kreb Cycle heck the entire GPTB to where they hate my guts and our plodding my demise. Not that I don't deserve it.. Let just say I am pathetic individual and MO is a support system for me i.e. my job requires I be 100% political correct at all times other wise the company and myself sued. Longride and the others are good people.. I am sorry I was such a prick.. Ok I am out of booze good night Fenton.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I'm worried about my Femininity......

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.