Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, didn't think it was going to be that bad. I hope he gets back to 100% soon. Is Daytona cursed as of late? I know you guys probably hate NASCAR, but look at their track record there. Pretty gruesome. And before you bash, remember Dale loved doing exactly what the AMA guys do, just inside a 4wheeled cage. Get better Scott

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just got off the phone with a Ducati representative who just visited Scott in the hospital. She's sending over another release with the latest info. Still, she said that Scott's pretty drugged up right now and not realy feeling any pain. Nor is he embarassed by the fuzzy booties he's wearing at the moment, thanks to the med center.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the address. I'll be sending a card tomorrow. I'm sure glad he's not with H-D anymore. It really hurt his career. Get well, Scott, 'cause we hope to see you out there racing sometime this year. Go Ducati!!!!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Scott Russell crash, what I saw on tape

I wanted to say that I saw the replay of this crash last night on the ESPN show MotoWorld. Contrary to what I had posted before (in this forum, or the feedback for other story about injuries at Daytona), Scott was not actively pushing his bike off the grid. What I saw was he starts rolling forward, then quickly puts his left hand up and looks over his right shoulder. Whether intentional or not he starts drifting across to the grass. You miss a little of the action as the camera pans forward as the riders start flying by him. Then it pans back, and see him coasting, looking over his right shoulder as he heads off to the right, trying to get off the grid.

I think some of the prior posts that said he may have thought evrery body was past him already, may have been right. Still not sure that he should have been steering the bike off the grid. Maybe that was unintentional (we all know that looking in a direction can make you turn that way without realizing it).

The crash was very scary looking, as the first rider hits Scott they barely bump, and both bikes tip over/slide down. (You can see the motion of the first bike trying to swerve around Scott.) It is the next bike coming through that nails Scott (front wheel right into his leg). When I saw that replay, I was surprised he did not suffer any severe internal injuries.

I really wish Scott a speedy recovery. For an old pro like him, this had be a very scary moment.

And I apologize if anybody was offended by my previous comments saying that the crash was Scott's fault.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Update as of 11PM 3/13

scott russell just got out of surgery and is back in intensive care . there was so much pressure on the left leg they had to leave open incisions for a couple of days. thanks for all the emails. we are sending them to scott printed out in a booklet (he ain't much on the computer, ya know)! If you want to send scott a card or anything, please send it to the address on the left of the webform, below the picture /.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ESPN2 got the rights for the race so it will not be on Speedvision BUT Speedvision has played clips of the race including the crash. This weeks Bikeweek on Speedvision had plenty of Daytona coverage. It was on Tuesday put will surely be replayed.

There are pictures of the Daytona posted up at esportbike.com if you are interested.

kman

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.