·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Frickin' Sweet!!

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I came across this site a while ago because he had a RD400 cafe racer on Ebay. I didn't buy it and now someone else is fogging their neighborhood.

He seems to specialize in Honda 4 cylinders. Nothing like the simplicity of two wheels and an air-cooled motor.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Somebody explain to me what's with cafe racer's? I just don't get it. Are the bikes made to be ridden or just ridden/posed down some boulevard and parked outside a cafe all day....

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
A Café racer, originally pronounced "caff" (as in Kaff) racer, is a type of motorcycle as well as a type of motorcyclist. Both meanings have their roots in the 1960s British counterculture group the Rockers or the Ton Up Club, although they were also common in Italy, amongst Italian motorcycle manufacturers and other European countries.

Rockers were a young and rebellious Rock and Roll counterculture that wanted a fast, personalised and distinctive bike to travel between transport cafés along the newly built arterial motorways in and around British towns and cities. The goal of many was to be able to reach 100 miles per hour (called simply "the ton") along such a route where the rider would leave from a cafe, race to a predetermined point and back to the cafe before a single song could play on the jukebox, this was called record-racing. They are remembered as being especially fond of Rockabilly music and their image is now embedded in today's rockabilly culture. (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
A reading from the Book of Velocity

In the Beginning, young men of iron on both sides of the Ocean didst strip their motorcycles of useless weight and worldly encumbrances, leaving only the Essence of the machine, which was Good, and in doing so gave their mounts the grace of Handling; they didst then perform the Holy Rites of Porting, and Polishing, and all other manner of Massaging unto the engine, and in doing so gave their mounts the grace of Speed; and they didst cavort upon the straight roads of America as Bobbers and the winding lanes of Britain as Cafe Racers, brothers in spirit. But thence came the Great Schism, when the two like tribes diverged, and the Bobbers did take the Road to Cruiserdom, and the Cafe Racers did ride to Sportbikedom, and they did pollute the lands along their paths with their abominable spawn of Choppers and Stuntaz and like manner of unholy douchebaggery. Amen.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Why, oh why, did you have to do that?

I just spent some more of my life reading 4-year-old lies by that fool. I feel a little sick now.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I've had this bike bookmarked for quite a while. I think the Cafe Racer "scene" was the absolute coolest moto culture ever. I love the idea of a modern interpretation of a cafe racer. So much so that every year I look at my Bandit and think, "Hmm, strip off the fairing, put on some rearsets and clip-ons, put on a headlight bikini fairing, chrome the tank... maybe a custom 'Ton-Up Bandit' decal on the tank..."

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Cool, now I know where the tube-top reference comes from.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AND the Boomstick/Broomstick.............

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rather ironic that he has grown so little as a human-being in all that time.

I'm stubborn. Resistant to change; a real pig-headed *******. But even *I* have managed to change somewhat over the last four years of my worthless, tiny existence.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Or you could buy a SV 650 and dress it up.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Thanks jonnyluck.. Very nice bikes.. Love the Black Venon, Golden Arrow, and Black Bandit.. Inline 4s rulle wonder if these machines could beat a VRod on Pinks..(e.g. old Suzuki UJM beat a VRod)

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
I laughed hysterically re-reading that.

Just do a search for Bench Press and you will find more lunatic rantings that you care to read.

I've been challenged to feats of strength, 40 yd dash, MSF scores, and fist fights by ol' Socko.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Well if it isn't good to see motorcycles on MO. Not some functionless cruiser, not some plastic-wrapped hyperbike, not some street-wannabe dirtbike, but plain and (notso)simple motorcycles. Boy do I miss them. I sure am sad that the Norton wasn't able to be revived. Great style with modern components.

·
Registered
11,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of Irony.............

1 - 20 of 128 Posts