Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a lot of posts out there on the various forums regarding removing the secondary throttle butterflies. So, without coloring the responses with my own interpretations on the topic, can somebody fill me in on why you would do that? And why you wouldn't?

Thanks.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
The main reason for removing them is that the average flub-dub with a cresent wrench feels he is better at designing intake systems than the factory engineering staff..........

The biggest reason for not removing them is because he's not...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I believe the secondaries keep the power down at the lower RPM's. Makes for a safer ride for most people. I know the guys that took out the secondaries on their zx-14's got a boatload more torque down low. My Advice: Just leave the damned thing alone and ride it!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
It's all kind of a Vmax thing, right? A little servo (or electronics from the ECU for FI bikes) blows the butterflies opened around 6k and WHAM! you're making power.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Advice: Just leave the damned thing alone and ride it!
Pretty much my intention, aside from fun stuff like windshields etc. I'm just always interested in learning more.

Couldn't agree more with the thought that there are a lot of guys out there who think they can out-engineer the guys who do it for a living...with millions of dollars in test equipment and dozens of test engines etc. to fool around with.

There was a pretty funny post at the VStrom forum about how yanking off the intake snorkel would give you more power. Another guy was trying to explain intake pulse tuning etc. Then the first guy came back and said he'd put it back on because it actually ran better that way. Ay cheewawa!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Pretty much my intention, aside from fun stuff like windshields etc. I'm just always interested in learning more.

Couldn't agree more with the thought that there are a lot of guys out there who think they can out-engineer the guys who do it for a living...with millions of dollars in test equipment and dozens of test engines etc. to fool around with.

There was a pretty funny post at the VStrom forum about how yanking off the intake snorkel would give you more power. Another guy was trying to explain intake pulse tuning etc. Then the first guy came back and said he'd put it back on because it actually ran better that way. Ay cheewawa!
Bikes these days are so good out of the box, all that is required is to ride the damned thing! If you feel the need to tinker, and get full of grease in the process, c'mon up and I'll let you work on the Knuck for a while. I figure that should cure ya! :-D

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bikes these days are so good out of the box, all that is required is to ride the damned thing! If you feel the need to tinker, and get full of grease in the process, c'mon up and I'll let you work on the Knuck for a while. I figure that should cure ya! :-D
15 years of the Shovelhead Low Rider took care of all that for me. The fun part was, you could actually do stuff to improve the bike, like add electronic ignition, S&S carb, etc. I'd rather get an old British sports car if I feel the need to putter in the garage. I like to actually RIDE my bike!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Get one of those...

15 years of the Shovelhead Low Rider took care of all that for me. The fun part was, you could actually do stuff to improve the bike, like add electronic ignition, S&S carb, etc. I'd rather get an old British sports car if I feel the need to putter in the garage. I like to actually RIDE my bike!
... old English sports cars and puttering in the garage is ALL you'll do!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It used to be you could get a substantial increase in power because the factory engineering of Triumphs, BSAs and HDs was so pi$$ poor. A few hundred bucks might get you 10-15% more power. Today a few thousand bucks might get you 3% more power. Hardly worth it. That's if that 3% gain on top doesn't cost you a 5% loss in the low and midrange.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I forgot you WERE a Shovel guy! I felt, and still feel your pain! :-D

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
The only secondary butterflys I know about were the ones in my stomach at the start line at the 'Dunes way back when. Now I get 'em when I think of cleaning out my garage....

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I restrict my tinkering to my '89 Range Rover, that's got to be the funnest thing I've ever driven. Everytime I'm in it I get the urge to climb up the side of Mt. Rainier or something

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From Stromtrooper today:

"Yesterday I installed my Leo Vince exhaust, k&n filter, and PCIII...and now my bike runs like crap! Ok, well it runs good everywhere after 4,500 rpms. I have an '07 and before this, there was just a little bit of roughness in the 3000-4000 range, but now it's absurb."

I can't wait to not install an aftermarket exhaust on my DL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.