Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think we need to band together and do a "Rodney King" like riot in South Dakota if he doesn't get maximum jail time. I could have more compassion for someone where their dangerous driving or "mistake" was an isolated event but Jankow repeatedly drove like this. He used his political weight to get away with what would have caused a “normal” citizen to lose their license. He really deserves the max for such deliberate disregard.

I already have a baseball bat, bricks, and saddle bags (to carry the bricks in) ready for the trip to SD if he gets off w/o jail time.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Right, because destroying the property of random SD citizens will really achieve the desired effect.

Why not go after the schmuck directly, instead of inflicting more suffering on people who are totally unrelated to the case?

-Kawazuki

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
He used to be governor. Maybe he appointed this judge. Maybe they are golfing buddies. Wouldn't be unusual in a State with a small population.

We'll see.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's sad that a man died, but which one of us hasn't ran a stop sign in our lives? I for one speed everyday, and would bet most of us here do. The thing that gets me is the attitude of Mr. Jankow. I am 37, so I'm not some young kid without a clue. Mr. Jankow will go to his grave remembering that day, most of us will forget it within a year.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
VAN SUSTEREN: Are you suggesting that the Republican Party is now the big spenders?

MCCAIN: Yes. I am suggesting that the party that -- in the 1994 campaign, on the "Contract With America," one of the first items was a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. I say all that has disappeared, and I deeply regret it.

Senator McCain slams Bush gives him poor grades for economy, budget

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: sentence 30 days plus comm. svc.

Actually less than 100 days in jail -

"Bill Janklow, who dominated South Dakota politics for three decades as governor and then congressman, was sentenced to 100 days in jail Thursday for an auto accident that killed a motorcyclist and ended Janklow's career in disgrace.

After 30 days behind bars, Janklow will be allowed to leave jail during the day for up to 10 hours to perform community service. After he completes his jail term, he will be on probation for three years, during which he will not be allowed to drive."

---from Mlps Startribune

·
Registered
61 Posts
ONLY 100 DAYS!!!

Janklow sentenced to 100 days in jail

Average second-degree manslaughter sentence is six months

FLANDREAU, South Dakota (AP) -- Bill Janklow, who dominated South Dakota politics for three decades as governor and then congressman, was sentenced to 100 days in jail Thursday for an auto accident that killed a motorcyclist and ended Janklow's career in disgrace.

After 30 days behind bars, Janklow will be allowed to leave jail during the day for up to 10 hours to perform community service. After he completes his jail term, he will be on probation for three years, during which he will not be allowed to drive.

The 64-year-old Republican was found guilty December 8 of second-degree manslaughter, speeding and running a stop sign for a collision that killed 55-year-old motorcyclist Randy Scott at a rural intersection on August 16.

Janklow announced his resignation from the House hours after the verdict.

South Dakota does not require minimum sentences, so Judge Rodney Steele was free to impose anything from no jail time and no fines to a total of more than 11 years behind bars and $11,400 in fines.

During the trial in Janklow's hometown, the jury saw him in tears as he described his grief over the crash. The defense argued that Janklow, a diabetic, had not eaten for 18 hours and was suffering a diabetic reaction that left him confused and disoriented.

A prosecutor called the scenario "goofy" and said Janklow concocted it as an excuse for going 71 mph in a 55 mph zone in his Cadillac.

Janklow was state attorney general in the 1970s before serving a total of 16 years as governor and then winning South Dakota's lone House seat in 2002.

An Associated Press review of South Dakota court records shows most people convicted of second-degree manslaughter get at least some time behind bars. Forty people have been found guilty of second-degree manslaughter since 1989, according to computerized court-system data. A review shows that 32 of those people were sent to prison or jail.

The average jail term was six months,

·
Registered
108 Posts
He got less than 2.5% of the maximum jail time.

He got less than 2.5% of the maximum allowable jail time. That's absurd. I hope the victim's family reams him as hard monetarily as he's hopefully going to be literally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What a disgrace, obviously justice means nothing if you are a VIP. First of all, I think we should boycott Sturgis. Secondly we should flood the South Dakota Governor's office with letters of protest. How dare he kill a motorcyclist and only get 100 days. Obviously there was a pay off or they are friends.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Man, everybody always so quick to condemn. If you read the story, you'd see where 8 of 40 people convicted of same crime in ND did no jail time at all. This crime is a stupid, careless, negligent accident; not the same as shooting somebody with a gun on purpose, is it? The man's losing his career, he will lose a lot more in civil court, and 30 days in jail is no fun. Neither is living in a small town where you're well known and not being able to drive for 3 years. I got no sympathy for Janklow either but how about a little perspective? O never mind.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes... how about a little perspective.

He has lost his career. He will lose a lot of money and you're right, 30 days in jail is no picnic. But how about a little perspective. Randy Scott is dead for no other reason than being on the road with this habitual criminal.

His case is unique from many of the others because of the abuse of power he has exhibited for the life of his career. Accidents happen but driving as he always did resulted in not an accident but rather the inevitable result of abusing the law of the land. Manslaughter.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I understand why you feel like that, but this guy went 71 on a 55 mph zone while running thru a stop sign. IMO this is murder, an accident would be something like stopping at a stop sign, failing to see that there is a motorcycle in the intersection and accidentally hit him.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, I'm not trying to flame you or anything.

Be safe guys!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re:100 Days

This guy has been dodging the laws that he both made and was sworn to uphold for years, according to previous reports about his driving record. That is why his light sentence is a particular insult. He has also shown absolutely NO remorse for his repeated stupidity.

1) Skip Sturgis... witholding your consumer dollars is an effective means of nonviolent demonstration. The rally must be the single largest tourist event in the state.

2) Hope that his cell mate is a Hells Angel... though he'll probably get a VIP suite in the warden's house.

3) Support the victim's family. Is there any sort of fund in place for this? If every motorcycle rider sent $1...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.