Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's really too bad. The guy was struggling with "other" personal problems before he took the life of a cyclist. He should be locked up forever, or give him the opertunity to try it himself. Put him on two wheels and see if he likes having his rear tire hit by the bumper of another vehicle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Felons and rights.

You know, the Constitution says that if you're convicted of a felony (thus demonstrating a certain lack of moral fortitude, to say nothing of rational decision-making ability) you lose your right to vote. We've since enacted other laws restricting the rights of a felon to own a firearm. So it seems reasonable that when a man commits a felony and violates the social contract, abrogating his rights, that we move further to restrict his right to operate a vehicle on the public roadway.

Do the crime, do the time. Lose your vote, your gun, your car.

But is the more obvious moral of this story that if you ride a Harley-Davidson, you will be able to neither outrun nor outmaneuver a Dodge minivan?!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I think our lesson here is to NOT acknowledge an aggressive drive at all.

I'll admit I have a really poor record on this myself. Last year I grabbed a cell phone out of an SUV drivers hand and threw it over a guardrail. This after the SOB changed lanes into me putting me into the same guardrail.

In spite of the temporary gratification, this was a really dumb thing to do. This guy could have easily ran me down just like the dude in this story.

After this I made myself a promise to pull over and let them go. I've done this a couple of times since and as a riding strategy this works well. I just don't get the satisfaction of yelling or flipping the bird etc....

·
Registered
406 Posts
bmwdude,

I would like to second your motion. Do not acknowledge any road rage when you are on a motorcycle and get away from them as fast as you can. This is good advice in a car as well but at least in a car you have some chance of coming away unscathed if someone loses it and decides to play bumper cars with you.

Like they say, 'Living well is the best revenge' and who can say your not living well when you stick around to ride another day?

·
Registered
780 Posts
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"more obvious moral of this story that if you ride a Harley-Davidson, you will be able to neither outrun nor outmaneuver a Dodge minivan"

WTF are you about sunshine?

Does that mean if you walk across the street (and obviously not capable of out running a car) you should think yourself liable to get killed because of it?

Do me a favor; take your moral and stick it up your ass!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Good strategy. Confronting someone in a car is always a bad idea. And if you feel you have to swear, yell or filp off the offending driver of a cage, you probably shouldn't be riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: Felons and rights.

Let's quantify this a little farther. A rider was killed, a rider who happened to be on a Harley.

There is a time for our brand loyalty slap festivals. That time is not now. Not while we're standing over the grave of a fellow rider.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Aerodynamic, but Not Academic

Nothing in the US Constitution deprives a convicted felon of any right, including voting, citizenship or even holding elected office. The US Constitution is a remarkable document because it preserves and expands the rights of the individual rather than restricting. That's why people love it.

I think anybody that intentionally or with gross recklessness uses a car as a weapon should never, ever be allowed to drive a car again, but what about somebody who is rehabilitated after serving their sentence (for a non-vehicle related felony) and wants to be a functioning member of society? How are they supposed to be productive in the land of the automobile without wheels?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Well, they already did take away his "right" to drive but he drove anyway. What if we let all the non-violent drug offenders out of prison—i think i read that is about 63% of the prison population—and put guys like this in there? Non-violent drug offenders make great farm workers if you allow them their own little plot, which cuts down on illegal farm workers... O y am i not in a position of Great Power...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

Dunno about that. My HD can outrun most anything on 4 wheels.

But of course it's not a "real" Harley. And about losing your guns, that's only if they catch you.

Vote shmote.

There was once something in our country that referenced a "payment of debt to society". But now with the populace screaming for new intrusive laws to protect themselves from 1% of society, a lot more will be a caught up in the crimminal justice system over petty bs. A revolving door policy?

And like here in Kalifornia it'll be Prisons Inc. Hey, gotta get that sugar beet harvest in somehow. An .05 cent an hour pay number isn't that bad when you've got three squares, a bunk and a color tv.

C-27663 sends his regards...

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Unless they're stuck in gridlocked traffic, then you can do anything you want. Kick dents in quarterpanels, scratch paint with your handguards. Snap off antennas.

Watch those Volvo side view mirrors though, tough little buggers. Really hard to remove with your boot.

·
Registered
9 Posts

"we move further to restrict his right to operate a vehicle on the public roadway"

I think we missed the point that his license was already suspended. You can take away his license, his plates, and his car and these arseholes will still find a way onto the road.

We need to lock up habitual traffic offenders, preferably before they kill someone.

And please, folks, can we skip the juvenile brand bashing for once?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.