Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah! first post :>!

since I am a sportsbike guy, not much in the way of comments (but I like reading about all bikes) except one thing:

repeat aftet me: Damping, not dampening ;>>>

·
Registered
159 Posts
All these tests of "Almost Cruisers" have to be leading up to something.

How about a V92TC with the stage II kit. Doesn't the "most powerful luxury touring motorcycle on the market" intrigue you at all?

C'mon MO, test the new Victory already!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Interesting comment about the Spirit's kewl paint...Honda seems to be giving more attention to it's cruisers' paint jobs, which is not a bad thing at all. there's a rider at my work with a current Shadow sabre 1100 that's got this kick-ass charcoal-ghost-flame-over-titanium metallic paint that you'd swear came out of some custom paint shop, but it's STOCK...

I gotta admit, though, that 883R looks the berries, even though we all know it's a stone ;-)

nice little comparo of the two bikes BTW. Never mind the sportbike snobs complaining about the cruiser tests recently.."you guys want some cheese with that whine?" heh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As much as I hate to admit it, even when you figure in the "Harley tax" (pipes and jets), the Sportster wins hands down. I don't buy bikes to resell but H-Ds hold their value very well - even Sportsters. But the price they're charging for a set of mushy dual disk brakes seems a little excessive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Having owned and built a few Sporties, and having ridden and rejected the Shadow, I'd like to see the Yammy V-Star 650 thrown into the mix. The Silverado (Heritage Softail lookalike) costs about $6400 real price at the dealer, and it's the sweetest handling cruiser I've ever ridden. With only 40 hp, it won't set performance records, but it's plenty adequate for a cruiser. Also, anyone who's ever ridden Harleys knows that the Sporty is the WRONG bike for short people or beginners. A Softail is much more forgiving, has lower center of gravity, has a lower seat height and is MUCH easier for a short person to ride. The Yammy V-Star 650 is evn easier because it's 300 pounds lighter. And lowering involves nothing more than a drill bit to move the forward shock mount! It has only two shortcomings: the valves are manually adjusted and the the clutch releases to suddenly.

john, rider for 46 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the comment " if it were my money " you fail to tell the consumer how much over list they will have to pay to own the 883 Harley . Sure at suggested list the Harley may be a steal .

But tell me where you can buy one for list . I have yet to see any Harley sell for list price .

You really have to put the Harley in another price catogorie to make a " bang for the buck comparison " .

·
Registered
175 Posts
"I have yet to see any Harley sell for list price."

Really? Not a single one? How many have you seen sold? Do you stand around the dealer and watch people buy them? Are you a Harley salesperson? Do your friends buy Harley's for more than list and tell you about it?

I won't say that certain dealers in certain areas don't charge a premium if they can get away with it, some can. The fact of the matter is, as I understand it, that the Motor Company frowns on its dealers charging more than MSRP. I would imagine that is why, here in Milwaukee, most dealers charge MSRP or less. They'd be busted real quick for price gouging because they sell bikes to the same people who design, market, and build (the engines anyway) them.

If you know of a dealer consistently marking up bikes, call H-D HQ and let them know. I'd be curious what type of response you'd get.

·
Registered
159 Posts
LOL, you're right on there. I live in the Pittsburgh area and you can't touch one of these for less than 8G. Some sell for around 10G and don't even think about the 1200s for less than that. I've seen many of the dealerships selling used 12s for at least 10G.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Here is a portion of the New Bike listing from a prominent Pittsburgh dealer. Hardly MSRP.

2003 FLHT Standard Black $21,250.09

2003 FLHTCUI Ultra Gunmetal $26,564.65

2003 FXSTB Night Train Gunmetal $21,276.00

2003 FXSTSI Springer Black $23,488.57

2003 FXSTI Standard Black $19,865.55

2003 XLH1200 Standard Gunmetal $12,414.26

·
Registered
337 Posts
A friend gave me his broken, 5000 mile, 1995 Virago 535. This is very similar, enginewise, to the baby Star.

It is a total POS. I've got the engine apart and am amazed at the amount of wear and overall poor design and materials. I tore down my severely abused 1990 Honda Hawk (which has 20k miles, >1000 of that ona race track) and found far less wear.

The Yam might look good and ride nicely, but the Virago in my garage sez stay away from old design Yamahas.

·
Registered
144 Posts
apples and oranges

I'm not sure that the Shadow 750 and an HD 883 sportster are really comparable; after all, one is a small boulevard cruiser, the other is a standard from a 45 year old sport heritage, although they are both probably stepping stones to the larger cruisers made by their parent companies.

I would be stunned if the Harley didn't handle better than the Shadow; it was designed to accomplish a different task. Perhaps a better comparison would be the 883 with an SV650, or compare a sportster 1200 with a VTR or a TL...

·
Registered
26 Posts
As I understand it, there are no laws that regulate pricing from the dealership. If a dealer wants to try and sell a bike way over MSRP, the most HD HQ can do is just that..."frown." If demand in an area is high enough, local dealers will charge more. I don't agree with it, and I salute those who avoid buying at such bloated rates.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My brand new '99 Sportster blew both rockerbox gaskets - twice - with in 6,000 miles. I hope the '02/'03 units are fixed.

How did you like the vibration on the Sportster at 70 MPH? Riding the Sportster on the freeway would rattle the tail light to death. Eight bulbs in under 500 miles. My dealer said I rode it to hard...

It sure got the looks from the chicks...

Philip

'02 B12S

'00 ZR-7

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar power curves according to the dyno chart, so let's see some Shadows allowed to run in the 883 dirt track events, (just a few modifications required). You hearing this AMA, the races at Sedalia were quite the snoozer for $24.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Subcription = free pass to whine

I wonder if people will ever stop griping about the subscription price.

For the price of a 12-pack you get a daily dose of scoots at work. Hell...maybe cycleworld has fancier pictures but I can't squish it inbetween excel spreadsheets and I always read the whole damn thing the first night and leave myself nothing else until next week.

The moneys spent...it wasn't that much...JohnyB is fun....I get to look at bikes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Hondas used to run the flat track circuit. Used to kick the proverbial Harley ass to.

It's a pretty standard pattern for any Harley related racing. The only way to make TheMoCo competetive is to remove all other makes from the mix.

ie. AHDRA, etc.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.