Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Gravity is not on your side. When I hear "Protective gear is way to expensive", price a skin graft...

One night in the hospital and my aerostich, helmet, boots, gloves and spine protector are paid for with money left over. Granted even the best gear cannot save your life in certain situations but at least my hide is covered and my odds are a little better.

While I havent road tested my 'stich I did have a little run in while wearing my First Gear Kilimanjaro (which feels like a windbreaker compaired to my stich). Beauty of it was I had just parked my bike and was walking across the street when a minivan decided to make me a hood ornimant. After the brakes were applied I went for a nice little slide across several lanes of the intersection. I got up Pi$$ed off but pretty much unharmed with only my helmet taking few scratches (being that it was in my hand at the time). As luck would have it my head wasnt involved. The half inch of space foam armor and synthetic skin impressed the hell out of me though.

To each their own, but how smart are you to choose NOT to wear gear? If anyone has a VALID reason not to wear it, I'd love to hear it. You would think this would be a non issue. Then again Freedom includes the freedom to be an Idiot...

Ride Safe

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

Great idea but somehow the cronic bingers would figure out how to beer b0ng twinkies in those few minutes a day.

For what its worth Ive been on the Atkins program for 2.5 weeks and have lost 17lbs and feel like a million bucks. Best $7.99 I have ever spent. If anyone is interested I'll post updates as the weeks go by. Couple more weeks and I'll be adding to the 40% of nonoverweight Americans. 3.5 more weeks and I go in for my second Cholesterol screening, then I'll know if Atkins is full of it or a Genius. Either way I just lightened my bike by 17lbs...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Why yes the guy that hit me had the latest in safety gear. Seatbelt, airbags, crumple zones, collapsable stearing column, padded dash, abs and last but not least several thousand pounds of safety cage.

My post was not for laws but just basic common sense. Yes many could argue that riding a bike is stupidity, being all the hazards that are about. I still would love to hear a valid reason for not wearing gear. To which it looks as if even you in your infinite wisdom cannot provide.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You like the feeling without it, there ya go. I assume the wind rushing through your hair and possibly the added rush of taking a greater risk far outweighs a feeling of security gear may provide for you. Fine by me. I just had a hard time understanding what people get out of it, now you explained it.

Personally my gear enhances my ride by adding to my comfort level, physically and emotionally. The wind isnt deafing, my eyes arent watering, my hair isnt tangled in knots and I dont have to scrape bugs off my face or out of the hairs on my arms like I do when I am out on a long mountain bike ride in the evening. I also do not get sun or wind burnt. Then there is the added peace of mind that comes with the protection. I have 4 helmets to protect my melon. A full face street, full face dirt, mountain bike and one for the snow. They all have came in handy one time or another. I never play without them, law or no law. Add in my aerostich making me cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and its win win for me. Hence my confusion about going without it on purpose. But if that is your thing, I wish you and your family luck.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

Right on, its so tough to stay on though. That big juicey fork tender steak I had tonight was almost unbearable. Oh how I long for nonfat bark or carrot and celery sticks... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.