Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I always wonder how they can link not wearing a helmet to not paying hospital bills. the two have NOTHING to do with each other. How many injuries in autos have occurred where the occupants can't pay the bills? Why do they never compare those two, the motorcycle losses and autos? Because the car owners lose big time. Then it's time to start mandatory health insurance minimums for car drivers, and that would include the idiots that make the laws. Lawmakers only make laws that affect other people, not themselves, so a manadatory insurance bill would include them, and we couldn't have that. They only study and release statistics that are favorable to their opinion. 90% of the truth is not the truth.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

I posted on another thread the estimated health care costs of obese people at 177 billion ,I believe. How about full face helmets for people diagnosed as obese, and the shield only opens 3 times a day for 3 minutes. This would prevent 24 hour feeding frenzies, which result in higher health costs for all of us, that I am sick of paying for. Maybe I'm onto something here.........

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Yes, freedom does include the "freedom to be an idiot". Otherwise, we are all subjected to whose definition of "idiot" we include. My parents thought (and still do think) anyone that rides a motorcycle is an "idiot", helmet or not. Should we include their definition of "idiot", or yours? Since they are in the majority, and we in the minority, I guess motorcycles should be banned(as they feel they are "stupid"), as only "idiots" ride them, according to the masses. With your wonderfully insightful analogy of how all that gear somehow saved your skin, I wonder if the guy that made you a hood ornament was wearing any gear? He was probably complaining about the "idiot" on the motorcycle that got in his way, and wondering why you just don't drive a car like the "smart" people do.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Wow, he needed all tha safety gear on that car to knock you on your ass? I bet I could take a 66 VW bug with no seat belts, accomplish the same task ,and come out unscathed. Maybe you would like to test my theory? Basic common sense is dependant on point of view, and I did argue sensibly, and have a valid reason for ,not riding a motorcycle at all. Since you need to have a reason as to why someone wouldn't wear safety gear, just apply the same logic as to why they would ride the bike at all, and you have your reason. I don't need "infinite wisdom" to explain that anyone willing to risk themselves on a motorcycle at all, is in no logical position to call anyone not wearing gear an "idiot".

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Safety features or not, the #1 cause of driver deaths is head injuries, so smart people would wear one. Racers wear them and I do also. Anyone that doesn't wear a helmet while driving is obviously an "idiot". Common sense would tell you that. give me one good reason not to wear one whiloe driving when it could certainly save your life one day.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Yes, there are valid reasons not to wear gear. I don't want to sometimes, I like the feeling without it, and I enjoy not wearing it. All valid reasons to me. If they aren't valid to you, continue to wear every possible piece of safety gear every single time you even get near a motorcycle. If you don't, you would be a hypocrite. I would bet everything I have you don't, so please stop with the flawed logic that you are somehow "smarter" than someone else. I somehow managed to live 35 years riding motorcycles without government interference. I can go for 35 more easy.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
If we can just get the full face helmet bill passed for fat people, drivers, and old people, think of the savings! Hell, we could boost defense spending .000001% with all that extra cash!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Countering the risks is wonderful. I bet I could save 10 times the lives by limiting horsepower to 50hp and top speed to 95. Putting leg shields on all bikes would save leg injuries, blow up vests for chest injuries, and possibly air bags on the bike for front end collisions. It IS simplistic to say it's safer not to be riding at all. It's also 100% true. I like simple. The degree of risk riding a motorcycle with 100% protective gear vs. driving a car compared to a biker with gear vs. without gear is not even close. Just the decision to ride the bike is MUCH greater risk to EVERY PART of your body and not just your head. My point is, if you were REALLY worried for your safety, you wouldn't ride.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Sarnali 99% isn't good enough!!LOL First, I have never argued against wearing gear. I wear it much of the time when I ride. Sometimes I don't wear it. So when I have my full face with full gear I'm a "genius", then my open face with partial body gear I'm "smart", and then I go into full "idiot" mode sans helmet. I just feel choice is the better way. Since you are a 99%er( or 1%er by default?) I guess you might be a choice guy yourself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.