Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Yes, freedom does include the "freedom to be an idiot". Otherwise, we are all subjected to whose definition of "idiot" we include. My parents thought (and still do think) anyone that rides a motorcycle is an "idiot", helmet or not. Should we include their definition of "idiot", or yours? Since they are in the majority, and we in the minority, I guess motorcycles should be banned(as they feel they are "stupid"), as only "idiots" ride them, according to the masses. With your wonderfully insightful analogy of how all that gear somehow saved your skin, I wonder if the guy that made you a hood ornament was wearing any gear? He was probably complaining about the "idiot" on the motorcycle that got in his way, and wondering why you just don't drive a car like the "smart" people do.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

>>Either way I just lightened my bike by 17lbs... <<

Just think about how much $$ you would have had to spend on your bike to get a comparable performance improvement!

Good luck with the cholesteral screening.

Bob

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Why yes the guy that hit me had the latest in safety gear. Seatbelt, airbags, crumple zones, collapsable stearing column, padded dash, abs and last but not least several thousand pounds of safety cage.

My post was not for laws but just basic common sense. Yes many could argue that riding a bike is stupidity, being all the hazards that are about. I still would love to hear a valid reason for not wearing gear. To which it looks as if even you in your infinite wisdom cannot provide.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Wow, he needed all tha safety gear on that car to knock you on your ass? I bet I could take a 66 VW bug with no seat belts, accomplish the same task ,and come out unscathed. Maybe you would like to test my theory? Basic common sense is dependant on point of view, and I did argue sensibly, and have a valid reason for ,not riding a motorcycle at all. Since you need to have a reason as to why someone wouldn't wear safety gear, just apply the same logic as to why they would ride the bike at all, and you have your reason. I don't need "infinite wisdom" to explain that anyone willing to risk themselves on a motorcycle at all, is in no logical position to call anyone not wearing gear an "idiot".

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Safety features or not, the #1 cause of driver deaths is head injuries, so smart people would wear one. Racers wear them and I do also. Anyone that doesn't wear a helmet while driving is obviously an "idiot". Common sense would tell you that. give me one good reason not to wear one whiloe driving when it could certainly save your life one day.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
STATE SENATE TO ADDRESS COST OF GANG-RELATED SHOOTINGS

Lansing (AP)

State Senator Ima Cretin (D-Ann Arbor) today introduced a bill intended to minimize the financial burden on Detroit-area medical facilities and welfare agencies that results from passers-by and bystanders being killed or wounded in gang-related shootings. Senator Cretin was unable to cite hard numbers, but stated that the cost "was certainly in the millions of dollars per year."

Senator Cretin’s proposal stipulates that any person venturing out of doors in areas designated by local police as "gang turf" must at all times be outfitted with an approved Kevlar vest, similar to those worn by law enforcement personnel. "I recognize that they may not be fashionable, and may be somewhat hot and uncomfortable, especially in summer," stated Senator Cretin, "but society simply cannot bear the full cost of the resulting injuries and deaths. Perhaps the inconvenience of having to wear such protective clothing may discourage some from engaging in such risky behavior. If even one innocent life can be spared by this law, the inconvenience will have been worthwhile."

Senator B.G. Dipschitz (R- Gros Point) has promised to introduce an amendment to this bill. "I understand the concerns of my respected colleague, Ms Cretin, but as a near-libertarian, I simply cannot endorse the State of Michigan mandating the wearing of such protective gear," he stated in a press conference this afternoon. He further elaborated that his version of the bill would eliminate the mandatory wearing of such protective vests by those over age 21, provided that they can show proof of having at least $10,000 in medical insurance coverage. Further, his amendment would provide that in the case where a vest-less gunshot victim is declared dead, or is determined by medical personnel to have non-survivable injuries, said victim will be deemed to have consented for his/her body or organs to be available for transplant or medical research.

The bill, along with any amendments, is expected come before the full Senate sometime later this month.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Degrees of Risk

I think that is LongRide's point. Certainly, riding a motorcycle is riskier than driving in a car. Riding without a helmet is riskier than riding with one. Riding on the street while dragging your knee pucks is riskier than cruising down the interstate at or near the speed limit. Wheelies and stoppies are riskier than keeping your wheels on the ground. Trying to outrun the cops is riskier than pulling over and taking your lumps.

At some time or other, I have chosen to take each of these riskier choices (although the last time I so much as rode around the block without a helmet was about 20 years ago).

I chose to drag my knees and go as fast as I can on my Ducati (usually on a racetrack), while LongRide sometimes choses to cruise on his Harley sans helmet. Both of us know that there are risk involved in our choices. Who am I to say that his risk is stupid, while mine is not?

I wear a helmet when I ski. I am a very good skier, but also am aggressive and like to push my own limits. That means that I know I will crash, and crash hard, a certain percentage of the time. My teenaged daughter who skis nearly as aggressively, but who seldom crashes, refuses to wear a helmet because she says it interfers with her enjoyment of the experience. I don't find that to be the case, but I also do not force he to wear one. I expect her to learn to make her own assessment of what risks in life she is willing to take, and she does not learn that by having someone else make the decisions for her.

I don't personally find a downside to wearing a helmet (and full leathers or Aerostich) when I ride. I chose to avoid that risk, but willingly take on others. LongRide makes a different choice of what risks HE is willing to take.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Name calling aside, If you recognize the fact that riding a motorcycle involves certain risks, and that equipment is available that is specificaly designed to counter those risks as much as possible while still allowing you to enjoy the sport, isn't it kind of foolish not to take advantage of the available technology? Its simplistic to say that you'd be safer not riding at all, if you feel that way then you can give it up, it's your choice, but if you chose to participate in a sport then it's only common sense to try and attend to the inhearant risks involved.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Degrees of Risk

Most excellent post! Outstanding logic and reasoning. I, too, agree with being able to have "choice" in all matters of my personal safety decisions.

But.....Longride's comparing helmet use in cars vs bikes in not logical nor good reasoning IMHO. Two different animals.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Where do you get your information that head injuries are the #1 cause of driver deaths? I still think helmet use in cars would worsen back/spinal injuries, and cause more serious injury/death. This is just based on experience, however, not a factual study. Just my .02.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Yes, there are valid reasons not to wear gear. I don't want to sometimes, I like the feeling without it, and I enjoy not wearing it. All valid reasons to me. If they aren't valid to you, continue to wear every possible piece of safety gear every single time you even get near a motorcycle. If you don't, you would be a hypocrite. I would bet everything I have you don't, so please stop with the flawed logic that you are somehow "smarter" than someone else. I somehow managed to live 35 years riding motorcycles without government interference. I can go for 35 more easy.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.