Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
This is how the fascisti work. They start out by picking on some unpopular group they figure they can steamroll. Then once the oppression is in place they incrementally expand the precedent until it encompasses everyone.

As an example, some cities are poised to ban smoking even in you own backyard (oops that is already law in Rolling Hills) or in your own home if you have children. It all started with "just airplanes, that's all, we promise."

How about the drug laws? If you are carrying "too much cash" the police simply steal it and keep it. Without ever charging you with a crime.

Santa Monica is requiring that all new homes have full handicap access. I guess it is now illegal for you to refuse access to a handicapped person in your own home.

The bikers who line up on the side of these fascisti turn my stomach. Are they foolish enough to believe that they themselves are exempt? Do they actually believe that the "well-intended" will ever stop regulating and regulating and regulating? I always wear a helmet, but the cyclists who want to force all of us to are quislings.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not so sure it won't fly

I don't live in Arkansas so I don't know the local politics, but as one of the posts above, Texas has had a similar provision for years -- I guess that rep Bledsoe got the idea for the counterproposal from them.

I also don't know that this is a conservative proposal. I personally tend towards the center-liberal portion of the political spectrum so would like to blame this sort of think on conservatives, but this kind of thing seems to occur throughout the range of far-conservative through far liberal.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Helmets in Cars

Most auto racing organizations do not require any type of helmet restraint, and such restraints are rarely used (more so since the death of Dale Earnhardt though). Formula I, CART, IRT etc do require them and I think NASCAR may now, but until recently, this was rare.

Go to an SCCA club race or any similar race and you may see a few HANS devices or other restraints, but the majority will not use anything of the sort.

There certainly is a risk of neck injury from a helmet, but I doubt that it would be more so than for cycle racers who get tumbled about a lot more than car racers usually do.

There are good arguements for having different standard for cars than for cycles, though. Cars DO have other safety features (thankfully) not present on bikes -- seat-belts, air bags, a steel cage around the occupants etc. Requiring helmet use for cycles is somewhat analagous to requiring seatbelt use in cars. The arguments for and against both are similar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hear hear. I agree with everything you said. Though I've never heard of someone being killed by a seatbelt or helmet I guess it is remotely possible.

What ever happened to personal responsibilty? If you chose not to wear a helmet and get injured it's your fault and your problem. Drink or smoke weed and get behind the wheel and run the same (or greater) risk. Why is it that so many Americans think they are entitled to a painless risk free existence and want to government to make it so?

Just for the record I don't smoke anything, always wear and helmet and protective gear and always wear my seatbelt. I just don't think it's the government's role to tell me what to do. Peace.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Re: When will legislators just stop legislating?

Out of date? You know the old saying, a lie only works untill it's disproven, but the truth will always be eternal. Like you and Dorthy, serzawa, I also had an epiphany when my personal Toto pulled back the curtain and exposed the great Oz for the charlatan that he was. VWW

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are myriad reasons why smoking on airplanes is dangerous and dumb.

Because the air in pressurized aircraft is heavily recycled, anyone greatly sensitive to smoke is in BIG trouble. These people (and everyone else) are unable to 'escape' to cleaner air. Never mind the annoyance it poses to non-smokers.

The ****pit (and pilots) shares that same air. The effects on one or both pilots who are highly sensitive creates extreme and unnecessary flight risks.

Smoke is VERY bad for flight instruments, which cost a fortune.

It would set off smoke detectors which are now is use.

It is also a fire hazard.

I'm a commercial pilot, and it astounds me that smoking was EVER allowed on aircraft. (It's a throwback to the 20s when commercial air travel first started. >Planes weren't pressurized< and the majority of people smoked).

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that lighters and matches are illegal carryon items per FAA regs.

In other environments I don't have a problem with smoking, especially when separate spaces/good ventilation is provided.

***People should be free to make choices that effect their own safety, provided they aren't endangering others in the process.***

I do enjoy a good cigar or pipe occasionally :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I enjoy "spirited" riding. I enjoy trackdays with my buds and we really enjoy "spirited" riding on scenic backroads and mountain passes, where there is little to no traffic. I have had my knee down at the race track and on a mountain road skirting along a guardrail. I have several times seen 170 mph on my speedo at the end of a front straight and on a deserted back road (and have been passed at that speed). I have brought up my front wheel at 50 mph and set it back down at (an indicated) 120 mph on a lonely country road (on the track I try to keep my front wheel on the ground accelerating as quickly as I can manage). My friends and I are not racers, nor are we the fastest and most skilled riders at the track. I wear full leathers, armor and a helmet. Does this mean I am safer than the guy cruising on his harley at or below the speed limit in a t-shirt, jeans and sunglasses??? I really don't think so. So I guess that makes me and my friends stupid too. And based on the riders that I know, the majority of people you see riding with full leathers and a helmet are right there with stupid me.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
Agreed , but they didn't stop at airplanes did they?

One could argue that even getting up in the morning could endanger another's safety. Where do we stop? Video cameras in everyone's house? I guarantee you the safety nazis won't stop until we have just that. It might take another 30 years, but unless a line is drawn it will occur.

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts
I'll bet I don't approve of most of the regulations. And I'm not going to get into anything as stupid as arguing the wisdom of traffic lights.

We're not talking about direct dangers here. We're talking about activities that someone thinks might cost him a buck and therefore believes he has the right to stick his nose in everyone else's business. So save the straw men for someone else.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The words "motorcycle" and "safety" should never be used in the same sentence.

Once you make the decision to throw a leg over and head out on two wheels, everything else is just an insignificant matter of degree.

Sooner or later the nannies will figure this out and take the ultimate step to eliminate ALL motorcycle risks. It's up to us to fight them every step of the way, irrespective of our personal preferences in bikes, riding style, or riding gear.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Re: Mandatory Health Insurance for Helmetless Riders

Right on, its so tough to stay on though. That big juicey fork tender steak I had tonight was almost unbearable. Oh how I long for nonfat bark or carrot and celery sticks... ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Where's Highway*****?

So where's that pissy little pencil pusher HWYman? Surely he's not gonna quit on us, or did his mom ground him from the computer? Probably just too busy jerking off to the official HD online catalog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are a commercail pilot... but you don't know what the FAA regs are on lighters and matches?

It's also funny that you don't understand how the air supply system works on a commercail jet... half the air in the jet at any given time is newly introduced fresh air, pressurized by the engines and filtered before it is delivered to the cabin. In addition, the recirculated air is filtered at such a level that all smoke particles are removed (take a look at the Boeing web site, http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cabinair/environmentfacts.html).

So can we get back to talking about bikes and bike issues. BTW, what airline do you fly for... I want to make sure I'm never on a plane you where you are pilot in command. I can just hear it now "where's that switch thingy to raise the landing wheel jobbers".

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Thats not true, if a person drinks and get behind the wheel they become everyones problem, drunk drivers kill and injure innocent people everyday, if all they did was cream their own stupid asses I'd look at it as social darwinism at work, I agree adults should be free to make their own lifestyle and saftey equipment choices, but when it comes to drinking and riding or driving, then sorry, but no you don't have the right to threaten everyone else with your choices.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.