Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night the home phone rang (it rarely does, usually telemarketers). It was a company called EBSCO Teleservices, calling about my subscription to Motorcyclist. I let it lapse knowing we were moving last month.

I have re-subscribed for $0.66 per copy. Good grief, the telemarketing company is getting paid on the subscription, as is the Post Office. At that price, it appears to me that Motorcyclist is buying the right to put their mag in my house. Amazing...it's like the phone companies trying to figure out what to do about Skype and other VOIP products.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Subscription costs are mainly for postage and handling. It's the ads that pay the way. The reason they charge subscriptions is that the subscribers might actually read the mag and look at the ads. If they gave them away free then many people would order them and not read them.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
'fraid you got robbed Ken, that's $7.92 a year for that butt wipe. They'd have to pay me at least $10.00 a year to take it. You shoulda' held out for a little more.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I had a sub for 7 years, 'til 'bout two years-ago. One of my friends is a journo for 'em (and he's NOT Biotch Boehm). But, I never have time to even pick one up when I'm at home. The last 3-1/2 years of my subscription are sitting in a box, as yet unread. Mebbe SOME day I'll get around to it.........

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
The only mag I subscribe to is RRW, something like 50.00 for 3yrs. Only thing these days is the mag is so late on reporting the racing highlites Iv already watched.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
The only mag I subscribe to is RRW, something like 50.00 for 3yrs. Only thing these days is the mag is so late on reporting the racing highlites Iv already watched.
One of the reasons I quit my sub to that one, too. And because I didn't have time to read it. Same with National Dragster, Penthouse and Ladies Home Journal............

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That Jack Lewis fella writes pretty decently.
He does.

And to those who say M/C or the rest of the mainstream mags suck, I say this: MO does a great job with the reviews and some event coverage, but there is not the other kind of content that I find in the mainstream mags Lewis is a good example, Keith Code is another. There is some depth there that is missing here, at least for the time being.

The Horse? I sold my HD!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"And to those who say M/C or the rest of the mainstream mags suck,..."

Count me in! They are as fake as the Global Warming crowd. They say what the OEM's want them to say. Nothing more Nothing less.

"The Horse? I sold my HD!"

Well, now you can subscribe to The HorseSHYT! And that Jack Lewis has that phony counter-culture thing going. He's the shyt for somebody that can't tell the real thing from a fake. He's about as hip as a four-slice toaster. I guess that's the best they can do on with a mainstream rag. Too bad the real thing would never make it past the door over there. It would scare the crap out of them.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
But you still get Martha Stewart Living, right?
I don't even leave the house without the latest issue tucked in my back pocket.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"And to those who say M/C or the rest of the mainstream mags suck,..."

Count me in! They are as fake as the Global Warming crowd. They say what the OEM's want them to say. Nothing more Nothing less.

And that Jack Lewis has that phony counter-culture thing going. He's the shyt for somebody that can't tell the real thing from a fake. He's about as hip as a four-slice toaster. I guess that's the best they can do on with a mainstream rag. Too bad the real thing would never make it past the door over there. It would scare the crap out of them.
So you say the magazines suck, but then your comments make it clear that you read them regularly! And you're calling them fake? You kill me George, I'm dyin ova hea.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"So you say the magazines suck, but then your comments make it clear that you read them regularly! "

I go to the newsstand, pick it up, laugh, and put it back. Takes all of 3 minutes. You pay for it. Not sure what is 'fake' about anything, but as a true Global Warming believer, I'm not sure you could tell the difference. I BUY 'The Horse', and for alot more than 66 cents 'cause you gets what you pays for.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
"So you say the magazines suck, but then your comments make it clear that you read them regularly! "

I go to the newsstand, pick it up, laugh, and put it back. Takes all of 3 minutes. You pay for it. Not sure what is 'fake' about anything, but as a true Global Warming believer, I'm not sure you could tell the difference. I BUY 'The Horse', and for alot more than 66 cents 'cause you gets what you pays for.
I'll bet you only read Playboy for the articles, doncha...

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Meh. I don't care if Lewis is fake, hip, or whatever. He holds my interest, and I enjoy reading his work.

Everybody has different tastes. That's what makes living great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.