Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I just know first hand of the inefficiency and lack of speed MO works with. I'll always subscribe, but that doesn't mean I won't demand. Remember your dough pays their wages.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree. The boards here are the best. There are some incredibly intelligent and knowledgeable posters that alone make the price of admission worthwhile.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Unfortunately, there aren't really a whole bunch of motorcycle news related items very often. Summer is usually one of the down periods. Things really won't start heating up until September when the new bike release news starts coming through and the embargos are lifted. Other than that, however, MO could be spending more time doing bike reviews. There are no shortage of bikes out there to include in MO's quirky shootouts, but even then, it is incumbent upon MO to release these articles in a quicker manner than they do. There is an enourmous amount of turnaround time between getting the bikes, riding them, actually writing the article and then publishing them. MO really could use better organization and leadership on this level. Given MO's limited resources, however, they do an admirable job, and I know for a fact the Fonzie is overworked. To their credit, bringing Gabe on was a good move as his quality of writing hasn't been seen at MO since the JB era. Pete Brissette has also done an admirable job, and when Professor Hackworth lends a word, the analytical part of MO's stories really do shine. Nonetheless, there does need to be much better organization, and a more aggressive approach to putting out articles. Of course, I do not advocate MCNEWS's style of tabloid journalism, and I know Sean would never stoop to that level, as he does adhere to some sense of journalistic integrity, but I do think MO would benefit from hiring a managing partner who is capable of keeping the editor's feet to the fire.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I actually used to do that when I interned at MO, and believe me when I say, the majority of the submissions aren't particularly newsworthy. I would scour press releases, go through all of the submissions, check various other websites, but discussion worthy topics in the niche of motorcycling were often few and far between.

As for the model releases you'll be hearing a ton about those in the next two months when the embargos are lifted and the bike shows begin. Performance mods, tours, real world reports are areas where MO does lack. Also, I think and I did suggest that keeping a long-term test fleet would be a good idea, but according to the editorial staff, it wouldn't provide a real perspective of what it means to live with the bikes as all scheduled maintenance would be provided for by the OEMs.

This is, however, where you the reader come in. MO is an interactive community, and has always been very accepting of well written reader reviews. For instance, and if memory serves me correctly, the user Pdad wrote some real world articles about a Buell, and it was published as a news item on MO. It was a damn fine piece of writing and quite informative. Unlike other moto-mags, MO is a site where the reader can really make and impression, and I would encourage you and any other readers out there to continue with your submissions. Though I am no longer with MO, I still see the incredible potential MO has, and believe that there is every opportunity to become the premiere resource for motorcyclists.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts