Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, rules are rules and none of the other factories want to play right now. Even here in the U.S., the factories have cut back their involvement pretty dramatically. Superbike as it exists now probably needs to be abandoned in favor of a more "street oriented" class, much like 600 Supersport. That would reduce the cost of factory involvment and maybe lure them back. One can only hope....

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Yeah it's Terrible

83,000 fans screaming their heads off for a series that you say sucks. Another record setting crowd to watch a "pathetic" race. How horrible! Here, we have that wonderfully entertaining AMA series that gets 200 people a race, if you include the racer's families, corner workers and anyone that drives by the main entrance. I'm sure your hero Mladin would rather ride here, with 50 of his most rabid fans cheering him on, than 83,000, right? I can see the SBK series is really hurting over there! Right again as always!

·
Registered
175 Posts
EMAIL SPEEDTV

I'm posting this again here because it's obvious no one really cares about WSB...

Speed TV plans on showing both WSB races AND the world supersport race during tomorrows prime-time time slots (7, 8, and 9 o'clock or so, respectively). The historic MotoGP raced that is all the rave a couple articles down, is stuck at 2:00 in the afternoon. How effing stupid is that.

At the very least, the world supersport race should be switched with MotoGP. Ideally, they'd split the WSB races with the MotoGP race in an effort to increase the number of people that just happen to watch the WSB races b/c all anyone really cares about is MotoGP anyway.

Email them, please, I can't do it alone.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Big Deal Ducati wins another Ducati Cup race

I totally agree that restrictor plates are a stupid idea, but note that the Lavilla's restrictor plated Suzuki is doing at least as well in WSB as are the non-restricted Suzukis in BSB (Reynolds and Kagayama).

BTW, even with the 32.5 mm restrictors for WSB, the Rizla Suzuki team were able to nearly match the peak hp of their UNRESTRICTED BSB version See Crash.net Article

An earlier report I had read indicated that the Rizla Suzuki team had found that the restricted version gave up about 2 hp at the peak, but had stronger midrange. Given the fact that they they developed their version for only this single race, I bet that the Alstaire Corona entry, which has had much more development time, is probably producing as much power as the unrestricted version.

Several weeks ago, John Reynolds was quoted in Crash.net as saying that he could not tell the difference between the restricted and unrestricted bikes.

All of which reinforces the view that the restrictors are bullsh!t -- they don't really serve any function of "slowing" the bikes but did serve to chase off Honda and Yamaha from competing, and have undermined interest in the series -- talk about a "lose-lose" proposition!

Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Yeah it's Terrible

And your point is? Of course MotoGP should outdraw WSB. Just like the Yankees usually will outdraw a triple A league game. Plus, Spain and Italy always pull in huge numbers at motorcycle races.

A more meaningful comparison would be with prior years -- last year you had factory teams from Ducati, Honda, Aprilia, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Benelli, and a real battle between Bayliss and Edwards for the title. This year, the top stars are all gone (Colin, Troy and Nori to MotoGP and Ben Bostrom to AMA) and Hodgson has won virtually everything in sight and they still pulled in record numbers of fans. Yeah, the racing must really suck!

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Excellent idea

Hi KPaul

What kinda cable or satellite service do you subscribe to in order to get MotoGP live? SpeedTV only shows it tape delayed. Only way I know of to get it live here in the US is the on-line feed from Dorna (MotoGP.com).

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Ducati Cup, as opposed to AMA Suzuki Cup

>>WSB is so pathetic<<

Lets see, the fastest lap was set by Lavilla, who also took second in one race and crashed out of the other while challenging for the lead. Plus, you have a couple of Suzuki wild card riders who manage to lead as well. And you have Kawasakis, Yamahas and Protons also contesting the event. Pathetic!

By contrast, in AMA SuperBike events, you have a field of more than 30 Suzukis, broken up by what, 3 Hondas, 2 Ducatis and a lone Kawasaki? In comparison, WSB has the kind of diversity that would make a Rainbow Coalition wet dream.

Yeah, it is really effin' pathetic!

(BTW, have you actually watched any of the WSB races this year?)

Bob

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Big Deal Ducati wins another Ducati Cup race

There you go again.... confusing the issue with facts!!

You're no fun at all.

Bob, stop now. Before you fall any further into the blackhole of KPaul's Circular Universe of Logic. Don't get sucked in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Re: Excellent idea

Just sign up at the Dorna/Tiscali website and pay E39.95 for a season subscription. You need more than a 55K modem though. You can watch MotoGP, 250 GP and 125 GP, QP1, QP2 and the Race live (ten minute delayed, actually). Even with DSL, the live picture is quite grainy.

It's one of the worst run websites I've seen, but it's still worth the money. Absolutely dripping with multimedia content.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Ducati Cup, as opposed to AMA Suzuki Cup

I agree, Bob. I don't understand all these folks lamenting the lack of diversity in WSB. The math doesn't come close to supporting their argument.

60% of the WSB grid at Silverstone were Ducatis.

80% of the AMA Superbike grid at Road America were Suzukis.

31% of the MotoGP grid at Catalunya were Hondas, BTW.

The "ducati cup" whiners need to get some perspective.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Please, Please Folks!

Let's not confuse KPaul with the facts. Let him live in his little inline four world, where Ducati is a dirty word and he can feel better about himself for buying a bike that is basically useless on the street.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apples and Oranges pals and one word for you idiots

One word: Privateer.

You take out the privateers in AMA and then do the math you idiots. AMA has how many factory teams?

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Racing for dummies.

You fackin idiot. AMA and MotoGp has more diversity from serious factory teams. The reason for WSB drawing well is that folks remember the old days between Honda and Ducati (where Honda won by the way) and the general popularity of motorcycling in Europe.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Racing for dummies.

AMA "serious factory teams" would only include Honda and Suzuki. A one-bike Kawasaki effort that gets no factory support and that makes do with an 8-year old design is not a serious factory team in my book. It IS a very professional effort supported financially by Kawasaki USA but it hardly compares to the kinda support that Honda and Suzuki get in AMA or that Ducati, Suzuki and Proton get in WSB. The AMA Ducati teams are certainly NOT serious factory teams. Ducati Austin are the guys who ran a Harley Superbike effort with such notable success -- not knocking them but they are not in the league of the Erion or even Bruce Transportation Honda teams -- plus they just fired their rider (Gobert) who has tons of talent but has basically p!ssed most of it away in recent years.

The WSB has full factory teams from Ducati, Suzuki and Proton, as well as very serious non-factory (or semi-factory) teams.

Do you suppose that the 83,000 fans who came to Silverstone came thinking that Colin would still be there? I bet a bunch came to watch the wild card Rizla Suzukis of Reynolds and Kagayama, and the MonsterMob Ducatis challenge the factory Ducatis. Not to mention to watch the HM Plant Ducatis (non-factory, but still very serious) and the factory Suzukis all fight it out up front. Sounds like they got their money's worth.

Cheers

Bob

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Apples and Oranges pals and one word for you idiots

>>AMA has how many factory teams?<<

In a word, two (OK 3 if you count EBoz' Kawasaki as a factory team -- I don't)

WSB: 3 (Ducati, Suzuki and Proton).

AMA has at most 6 factory bikes (BBoz, Kurtis, Miguel, Mat, Aaron and, arguably, EBoz)

WSB has at least 6 (Hodgson and Xaus - Ducati, Lavilla and Vittorio - Suzuki, Corser and Haydon - Petronas) plus the 2 Kawasaki Bertucci entries are probably as "Factory" as is EBoz' bike, and at Silverstone there was a Team HRC wildcard (on, I believe, Colin's old bike). Plus, there is a very professional 2-bike Yamaha team out of Italy that is, I believe, at least partially funded by Yamaha Italy. How many Yamahas are contesting AMA SuperBike?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.