Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to point out that I have ulterior motives for taking 2nd place...the winner has to buy lunch! Oh, and we aren't even on the same team, but we are both MOtards so I guess that makes up for it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd say my brother-in-law gives better color coverage for high school football games in Oregon than what we get for AMA Superbike races.

If I could change just one thing about the AMA Superbike series, it'd vote for the two races on a single day format like World SBK. Better announcers, though, would still be a welcome change.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
I am a big Sadowski fan. The guy is an excellent color guy. Everytime I watch an AMA race I learn something from him. Maybe you more experienced folks are beyond the learning stage and need more entertainment . Greg White is excellent as well. So I guess I wonder if adding Gobert is such a good idea i.e. too many cooks in the kitchen. :). I agree with others that AMA should have races all on the same day like WSB. This would consolidate their TV time int one block on weekends.

·
Registered
144 Posts
What surprises me is the lack of technical information concerning the bikes themselves and why one engine configuration maybe dominant at a certain point. Mostly we get and the honda's are dominating for example. Well anyone can see that ...tell me why ???

I'd like to know what is going on inside those machines as well as the racers head. Tell me those two things in a evolving fashion from race to race. There is not enough attention to the bikes configuration as related to the standings. Whats the major difference between the dominant bike at the moment and the less dominant bikes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There are entire books that cover why a 4 cylinder will always make more power than a twin, at a given displacement. It basically, however, has to do with its ability to rev.

A twin has a bigger bore and stroke, assume all the motors have piston speeds of around 4000feet per minute. that is alot. twins have a longer stroke, so they carry less revs at that 4000fpm ceiling. HP is something like torque*rpm/5225 i cant remember exactly and dont feel like looking it up. so anyways, that means a higher revving inline 4 will be able to use its higher rpms at a given displacement to make more HP. This is also the reason for the difference in displacement.

However, Twins have an advantage in other areas. Their firing order puts 2 pulses right next together, so there are little pauses in its power. this allows the tire to recover and get good drive. Inline 4's tend to have even firing spacing, either 180 or 360 degrees. this means a cylinder is always firing, and this is supposedly why the twins have better "drive" off of corners. When they talk about "torque" being the advantage, i think what they mean is that the 4 cylinders make the same power higher up, so the tire will want to sllide sooner. Its not that they need more torque, its just that they need it lower, so there is more time between firing of the pistons, again, for grip.

Thats the theory of it, anyways. The real bread and butter comes down to money, i think, although Ducati has someone debunked that, as they are giving Honda a run. It could just be because Ducati is much more of a racing oriented company, and that makes up for any financial shortcomings.

And also, those Kawasakis are friggin tanks!!! those frames really are dented to *****, and they are still running them!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Ashley, I noticed that you and Mary Kim placed first and second on the podium, but no one was in third place. Did you two win because no one else was in the race? BTW you'd look better in a less atractive hat. VWW

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ashley,

Congrats on the cycling results. I think we need a cycling/motorcycle racing biathlon event in california sometime in January. Get Troy Bayliss and Mladin to lead it since they're both supposed to be big cyclists.

As far as commentators go, I think that the pace of motorcycle racing is less conducive to the relaxed commentary you get on OLN during the Giro or TdF. I would blame Speedvision but honestly their Formula 1 coverage is in depth and so is the coverage of Nascar technical stuff....not that Nascar has any technology. Isn't that ironic?

In depth technical coverage like the stuff Kevin Cameron produces in Cycle World would make a great lead-in to the race and Sadowski, while no Bob Roll, is OK with me.

Enough of that. Launch bicycle.com already! I ping the site periodically to see if it's up.

Dennis

(a mediocre Cat 5)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well I think Gobert going into commentary at this point would be a tremendous waste of talent. I want this guy to achieve (despite himself, apparently) at least one full-factory, competitive MotoGP ride to show what he's made of. I think his riding talents are right up there with Rossi's but he still needs to get his sheite together. He should sit down with Troy Bayliss some day and learn what true motivation and work ethic are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, aside from the congrats for the win, I think Eurosport should be sent by tapes over the Atlantic.

I've never seen Sedowsky on TV but I can tell you that on Eurosport each GP coverage has Tobi Moodi and Julian Ryder as commentators, amazingly interesting, funny and informative, whilst the MotoGP class features also Randy Mamola as pit lane reporter and commentator. It's amazing how much more information an experienced racer can pick up from the same TV pictures we all see at home.

They even carry one hour broadcast prior to the races, which usually includes the Dutch commentator explaining various technical issues related to GP bikes, along with actual GP bikes that participate in the race to show the details.

Just to let you know what's going on in Europe (or Israel, for that matter).

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Ashley, gratz on a win. It's tough to finish well in bike racing, much less win. I did a bit of it a few years back and have the utmost respect for those that do well. Anthony would be a great addition, but I'm not sure he's ready to hang em up just yet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i dont know how this got here.....i was posting under the wsbk tech article

????????

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congratulations on the win, and the 2nd place. I just got back from a morning bicycle ride, washed & waxed my motorcycle, and clicked onto MO while taking a break. It's great that I get something about biking here too. As for TV, I don't have cable, so I have to hang out at motorcycle shops to watch races with no sound. Watching the races with no commentator except the in-store crowd is great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.