Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Good Read...

You gotta give it up to somebody comitted like that. I commute every day on my rig, but I do like 120 miles a week, not each way...

Good read.

~Rob

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Re: Good Read...

I do about 75 miles a day, it's not bad if I ride because I can use the Carpool HOV lanes. Driving is a lot less fun and takes a good bit longer. Since we can't lane spilt here I ride down the center of the lanes and just move back and forth to whichever lane is moving faster. I call it "lane Filtering"

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Don't get your filter clogged...

...by an old Buick or Surburban.

My commute nowadays is from the bedroom to the den.

But I still ride motorcycles when I sleep. Last night I was on my old JPR 360 (again). Now that's a reocurring dream I can live with.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent well written article.. Yep sarnali you are my hero in this area. I did get into the commute i.e. I got more aggressive in my riding style ala extreme sport until the third bytch in a SUV cut me off while taking on a cell phone. Now I commute 50.2 miles one way (100.4 roundtrip for those math challenged Buz I wasn't talking about you) averaging about 1 hour and 10 mins one way. I got out of my way to avoid the conjested freeways of the inner Puget Sound system even though it means I drive 10 more miles each way. It means I save 30 minutes one way on good day. On bad days it could take 2.5 hours to use the most direct route. If I rode it would probably take me 45 mins max in the HOV lane.. Sometimes I want to buy a stitch suit and go for it... I was pumped at work when I used to ride..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: Good Read...

You're the man.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Have you been channeling Buz again.. That was really funny.. Only those MOrons who bother to read the entire story would get it..

·
Registered
25 Posts
That's a great piece of writing. I don't understand why more people don't commute on a bike, for all the reasons he stated.

Having said that, there has been a noticeable increase here over the last three years in both traffic congestion, and also in the number of bikes commuting (we lane split, it is not specifically legal here, but people don't get in trouble without being reckless while doing it).

With any luck, the number of bikes commuting will reach a sort of "critical mass" that will make people inherently aware of bikes on the road rather than being surprised by their presence. We can dream at least...

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

I'm looking forward to hearing what cool toy you'll be bombing on when you get everything working that's gonna work. Any time frame? Next summer?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I rode to work for 2.5 years, rain or shine. The traffic's not bad here in Richmond, but I did get a ticket for "filtering" on one off day.

Don't ride to work anymore. The wife got a job at the same location and we carpool.

Never, ever allow that to happen.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

soon, i'm thinking a kart with hand controls. Or maybe a mini-sub. Ridgid airship?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
[No message]

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts

Sound advice, I try not to get too carried away with it. Nothing Hare brained just taking advantage of flows..........

Breaks my heart to think of you laid up man, hang in there, maybe they can come up with a Borg spine for you...

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, great. Finally a proposal to encourage efficient cycle commuting! We need nation wide legislation to promote fuel efficiency - lane splitting!

I spent last summer working in SoCal, and the commuting on my KTM Duke was a hoot. Then, last fall, my company moved the project back to Iowa. Gotta say, that my ten minute commute wasn't nearly as fun as the SoCal commute since splitting isn't legal here. Major bummer that we can't split in this silly state, and not nearly as safe as blasting from the light, and then being all alone.

So how about it? Let's get some Federal law change for lane splitting, and real motivation for super fuel efficient, motorcycle riding for the masses.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.