Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my bike out of storage. Bike started up and sounded great. I replaced the brake light and still everything okay. 2 days later I started it up and it sounded like an old mower. Turn signals now flicker. Could this be a battery or spark plug problem???

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Turtle in the Mud Valve.

Charge the battery (or replace it if it won't fully-charge, then charge the new one), clean and tighten each of the battery connections, paying particular attention to where the negative cable attaches to the frame.

If it still does the crappy-running thing, you've got spooge in your carbs. 90% chance they'll need removed to clean the pilot jets, but you can try an in-tank cleaning product called "Seafoam" first. Most Yamaha shops carry it, and I've seen it in a Wal-Mart or two.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
+1 on the carb bowl mung.

You don't mention the make/model of bike, but, assuming it's carb'd, the same answer applies.

You'll probably have to clean the carb(s) mechanically. SeaFoam, while great stuff, usually can't unclog jets.

When I worked at a boat shop, every spring saw a mess of folks bringing in their boats and/or motors, 'cause they'd (usually) start, but die when you put them in gear. Munged up carbs. Some of the "fuel" we'd drain outta the carbs and tanks would almost make you gag.

And I'm not even going to bring up water in the fuel. Oh, wait...

Next time you put the bike away for a nap, treat the fuel system (not just the tank) with a fuel stabilizer like StaBil. It's also available at Walmart. I use it in all my gas-powered machines.

Get 'r done, and get riding!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Sachi, I'm assuming he meant when the bike is sitting there farting and gagging that the lights flicker.

That's because the engine isn't turning fast enough to generate sufficient voltage/current.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Sachi, I'm assuming he meant when the bike is sitting there farting and gagging that the lights flicker.

That's because the engine isn't turning fast enough to generate sufficient voltage/current.
Same-same. But, I suggested the battery connections first, figured I'd start him out on the easiest.

He can always hope. And where there's Hope, there's change under the cushions. ('cuz she wears these loose slacks that keep spillin' it out of her pockets)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

My belief is that when you have adequate battery charge, it won't matter if the bike is farting and gagging. The lights won't flicker. So . . . that is why I question the carb suggestion. But I am always ready to reconsider on this stuff.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
My belief is that when you have adequate battery charge, it won't matter if the bike is farting and gagging. The lights won't flicker. So . . . that is why I question the carb suggestion. But I am always ready to reconsider on this stuff.
Alternators and regulators/rectifiers don't usually charge at low rpm, if the bikes popping and gagging at below normal idle speed the lights will pulse as the regulator kicks in and out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sachi - It takes a certain amount of electrical power to make the engine run. At very low rpms, the charging system alone doesn't necessarily have the juice to do it, so the battery gets used. The load on the system causes the voltage to drop and the lights dim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.