Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Re: SPANISH GP RESULTS

It looks like Rossi better watch out for Barros next season! It seems like when they are on equal bikes, it's anybody's guess.

Did you guys know Barros was that good?!?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Barros

I have been following Barros for a long time, and I never had a clue that he was THAT good! I think he has something like 5 GP wins in his career. Seems like he was made for the new 4-stroke formula! Seems like on the 2-strokes, he was always in the second tier of riders.

Did you see his testing times on the M1 at Vaencia yesterday? Equalled his qualifying time from last weekend, so it looks like he won't have too much trouble getting that Yamaha up in the hunt for next season.

·
Registered
585 Posts
2003 Teams

Interesting teams for next year:

Kwak:

pitt

mccoy

eboz @ some select races

Suzuki:

Roberts

Hopkins

Proton:

mcwilliams

aoki

Aprilia:

Edwards

Haga

Yamaha:

tech 3 barros/jaque

fortuna checa/melandri

Honda:

Everyone else including Nicky Hayden...

Looks like an Italy vs America with two Spaniard, Some down under boys, and a Brazilian thrown in for extra spice.

I hope I got it right.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: 2003 Teams

Haga is still signed with Aprilia. Whether he will race WSBK or GP is still up in the air, but after Haga tested the bike, his first time out he did better than Laconi so they are thinking of putting him on the GP bike. The new Michelins, rumor says, they ride kind of like a cross between the Dunlops and older Michelins, so Haga may be able to race them.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Looks like MotoGP has the best riders

WSB is on course to become a second tier circuit. For last few years one could argue that WSB had a few of the best and MotoGP had the rest of the best. Not Now

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Re: Looks like MotoGP has the best riders

WSB is in for a tough season -- looks like there will be no factory or semi-factory participation in 2003, although all expect to be back in full force in 2004. (This just confirmed in a press release from the motorcycle manufacturers' association).

It is clear that, especially internationally, GP has more status, and now that the 4-stroke racers have more relevance to what the manufacturers sell, it will be hard for WSB to compete.

Strategically, I think they dropped the ball by waiting too long to announce the rule change allowing 1000 multis. Having an entire season of only European bikes (ok, maybe 1 Asian bike, IF you consider the Foggy/Petronas to be Malasian, and [bigger] IF it actually makes an appearance) will cost them a big part of their fan base which was built up over years.

Personally, I think it is likely that WSB will end up as a feeder for MotoGP, as right now, it is probably the best preparation for MotoGP. Of course, if gp does with the 250 class what it did to the premier class (eg allowing 500cc 4strokes) that could also change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.