Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Mladin outfoxes Spies to win Daytona Superbike opener.

I thought it was a pretty entertaining race. I thought Spies was going to take it at the end. What else can you say about Mladin, he's unstoppable.

It's a shame that more people would rather creep along @ .0000012 mph in bumper to bumper traffic and stare at bikes and drink than to watch good racing.

·
Registered
248 Posts

Some pretty good races at Daytona this year. Too bad more fans didn't show up. I live in the Great White North (Canada) so we watched it all on SPEED (the TV network, not the drug) For Saturday's races we organized a party at a sports bar with big screens. About 50 people showed up. Great fun. Maybe next year we can make it to Daytona again and help fill a few seats in the stands.

·
Registered
406 Posts

So much for the Buells. Their top gun came in at 52nd place. Although for such an inexpensive and untested machine, I guess that is a victory?

·
Registered
56 Posts

I was just thinking along those lines today. You probably know this but I heard that a very good amount of people who go to Bike Week don't even know that there are races going on! I know I've gotten a bit jaded as I get older and more experienced in this game, but why go if you aren't going to the races? Isn't this what started the whole event?

·
Registered
11,488 Posts

Uh, No - it's a B-U-E-L-L. Victory is made by Polaris..........

(yeah, yeah, I know what you mean - just funnin' ya!)

Secretly, I was kinda hoping they would do better than that.

(but don't tell anybody - my Squiddy buddies would laugh me off my YZFGSXFZRCBRZX1000RR/R F(1-7)i-RR/R [didn't I already mention the "R"?] if I was caught rooting for a piece of Industrial Equipment.)

·
Registered
108 Posts

It seems Buell is following a similar path of the ill fated HD racing program. At least HD came away with a decent engine design. Either abandon the pushrod motor or stick to drag racing

·
Registered
5,030 Posts

Mladin's continued presence in this class is a disservice to himself, to the fans, and to AMA racing.

Get thee to WSB, Matt.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Yep, but McWilliams kept his Buell in the hunt for 2/3 of the race and only 2 mph and a couple of seconds off the pace. Not bad for a new bike. Bet they'll have a better record than most of the Petronas rigs that blow up on a regular basis in WSBK.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Mladin Monotony

Excellent point, it is like if Kobe Bryant played in the CBA, and refused to go to the NBA.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Mladin won?? Boy, that WAS sure a spoiler for me! Whoda thunk it? I wouldn't have guessed that in a million friggin years. I mean, it was such a shocker I nearly passed out! It makes me want to watch the rest of the years' racing just to see who might win THOSE races. Looks like Superbike is going to be just as exciting as the last 6 years, eh?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Angry bird?

I'm curious as to why towards the end of the race, there was a fellow double fisting the bird to the world before he got into the ambulance? Did anyone catch a reason for that? I unfortunately couldn't pay enough attention to see what had happened. Funny though the Speed commentators obviously didn't have anything to say about it cause it went silent for about 5 seconds

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: Angry bird?

He had just survived a crash. My son tells me that the gesture is used sometimes by Generation Xers as in "World, you haven't gotten me. F*** you!" He thought it was appropriate in the circumstances.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Peter Principle

If he moves to World Superbike, the competition will be stiffer, and he ain't gettin' any younger. As it stands, anyone who *might* be able to beat him with another season or two of experience is hustled out of the class, either up to World or laterally, to something like British Superbike.

Besides, American Superbike is the pinnacle of U.S. road racing (for better or worse), whereas World is increasingly seen by many as the refugee/semi-retirement area of failed MotoGP hopefuls.

Remember the Peter Principle, which states that people will naturally rise to fill the position that corresponds with their highest point of incompetency? Mladin has sucessfully avoided that fate. Racing (and its sponsors) is terribly fickle.

I think Mat Mladin is surely not be envious of Nicky Hayden's current postion. Who's name is mentioned more, these days? Who wins more races? Who probably makes more money, especially from endorsements? No, Mladin needs to stay right where he is, and retire with about 10 or 12 consecutive AMA Superbike titles, make his name in the history books.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Re: This just in

Now that was funny.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.