Motorcycle Forums banner

sport/touring on hayabusa

59K views 78 replies 25 participants last post by  roadkill5 
#1 ·
The Good: You get there very very quickly.

The Bad: You get there without feeling in either hand, and won't be able to move either wrist for about one day per each hundred miles traveled.

The Ugly: You get there on a 'Busa.

#2 ·
The problem w/the 'Busa for ST riding is the mixed bag riding position. Don't get me wrong, I loved it, but you gotta' be short for the peg position to be comfortable and tall for the bar position. It's a long reach to the bars, and kinked legs. Wind protection is also pretty minimal. That gets old in the cold and/or rain. For that matter, it got old at speed, period. Engine's a little coarse by today's standards, too. In spite of all that, it's still a great bike. A classic. Not up to the ZX14, though...

#3 ·
The bad, bike is not a touring bike bike is built for top speed It is more GSXR than katana. Bike eats gas runs choppy I bought one from new I know. Get something with hard bags. . With so many choices out there from the big three plus Aprilla, Ducati ST3, BMW,and Triumph why go Busa?

The good You can go drag racing, bolt a turbo on and go to Bonneville.

The Bike is ugly look at the new ZX-14? If you must buy an ego bike this is the one for looks.

#5 ·
Well longest day so far is 750+ and an average day is 500 or so with a long weekend trip once a month. You gotta learn to lay on the tank and get weight off the wrists. I find a tank bag stuffed with rain gear works great for some padding on the tank. This will take weight off wrists and allow comfortable ride. I am 6' 3" 225 lbs and have survived 53 winters thus far. I don't find pegs to be a problem nor wind protection, which I find to be very good. I use a Shoei helmet and mesh jacket for warmer temps, unless really hot then ditch the jacket. There is a lot of room to move around on the Busa and change positions, which relieves stress points. I rode cruisers for a long time and that dead feeling in my rear would be what made me stop, my rear does not get tired on the busa. I use cortech saddlebags and tail pack that all clip together and attach to bike at 4 points. This makes removal easy. I stop every 60 miles or so to stretch out and get blood flowing. Busa is a great sport tourer, gets 45-50 mpg near speed limit. Again riding position is all important. Back straight lay across tank with elbows on knees or laying on tank bag, which is best. Your neck gets used to being held up and a speed of 80 or so will provide enough wind to hold you up without as much strain. If only running 60-70 mph a tank bag helps a lot. Oh yeah, it corners great and is fast, low maintenance, when it comes time to pass you twist the wrist and are gone.

#6 ·
"People mention doing 500, 600, 900 mile days . . . THAT is NOT touring . . . that is just lots and lots of distance riding."

That's a bit of a silly statement. It would be nice to have the time it would take to do something like a 4 corners tour on a 250, but most people don't have that luxury. There are times you need to cover ground to get where you want to go. When on 1 to 2 week bike tours I've done 700 mile days, and I've done 120 mile days. It just depends on the circumstances.

#7 ·
I know riders who really like the Hayabusa for sport touring. That said, I think that the VFR, the Ducati ST3, and the Buell Ulysses (if you're tall enough) are better choices. Check seaating position for your body on all four before you make your selection.

Vlad

#12 ·
Since you brought it up, I didn't watch it.. I was too busy reading the Republican dominated Senate Comittee report on how Sadam and Bin Laden were foes not buddies. i.e No connection with Sadam and 9/11. No al-Qaida operatives in Iraq until we invaded etc. Funny to se how Cheney has changed his tune. Also if the Republicans wouldn't have been so obsessed with a blow job things would of been different. Just remember I am a Republican i.e a George Sr/Nixon i.e. fiscally conservative, live and let live socially..

#13 ·
By the way ABC is said it, "The Road to 9/11"

is a fictionalized docu-drama with scenes and dialog made up. Funny how a documentry with real video etc like Michael Moores film can't even get on TV..

Just remember it is well documented that Clinton told Bush in his pre-inaugural meetings that Bin-Laden was the most serious threat not Sadam...

#14 ·
I just switched from an '04 Busa to an '04 FJR 1300. Busa fit me (and my wife who rode it too) and was reasonably comfortable for touring. Ultimately found its potential a little pointless for sport touring. It seemed like a bad idea to be hustling into unknown and blind corners at Busa warp speeds, and legal speeds on the Busa are just plain boring. The FJR is more enjoyable to ride at slower velocity, and you sit more upright to enjoy the view. Wind/weather protection is excellent too.

#20 ·
How's that busa of yours handle all the curves (exit ramps) in flat/straight streeted Chicago? LOL OTFL

#22 ·
The scenes were made up, but the unfortunate truth was that BlowJobBilly had more important things to do than react to our embassies being bombed, the USS Cole being attacked, and the WTC being bombed. The program showed exactly that. That's why you didn't watch it. It doesn't jive with your 'facts and data' bullshyt. I guess those things aren't very important when you are getting a BJ from the beautiful Monica Lewinski. At least we had a program that had the guts to lay the blame squarely where it should have been laid. Listen to them howl now. Billy Blow Job was Jimmy Carter with a good economy.

#24 ·
I'll show you anytime you got the guts to come on over. I'll go where you are too. Set a date. Either way, I don't think you will show. Already proven you are a perfect liberal, all talk and no action. Although that doesn't change the fact you are again talking out your ass about something you don't know anything about. Leave motorcycles to the people that actually ride them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.