Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an example of a bad law leading to outrageously reckless behavior on the part of the motorists involved and the police giving chase; it's only fortune that prevented this from being a tragedy.

The laws against exceeding the posted speed limit are, in my opinion (although strongly supported by statistical analysis), among the worst that we have in the United States. The only times I think that speed limits are reasonably subject to rigid enforcement is in densely populated, purely residential neighborhoods.

I agree that a Suburban travelling at 65 - regardless of the speed limit - is far, far more of a threat to public safety than a motorcycle travelling at 90. Simple physics demonstrate the point in terms of both energy, momentum, and capability of avoidance of an obstacle.

Absurd.

That being said, while I am in favor of civil disobedience, there are probably more constructive avenues for social change than running from the police.

cdg

·
Registered
878 Posts
"Frankly they're putting themselves and all other motorists on the road at risk."

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed - and hence clamorous to be led to safety - by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. ~ Henry Louis Mencken

They are 'putting themselves at risk'? "We're from the government, and we're here to save you from yourself." Gag me with a spoon.

"We've got better things to do than play with these guys."

Yeah right. Hey buddy, nobody's holding a gun to your head to apprehend a few bikes going 15 over (especially ones that could be doing double that in a matter of seconds.) More likely, it was the the highlight of these cops' week, month, and probably year.

I say anyone riding a sportbike at under 100mph is excersizing a commendable level of restraint.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I can't help but wonder what kind of 2003 Yamaha "750" that was. I'd be inclined to show up in court and ask for details from the officer, before demonstrating the complete lack of 2003 Yamaha 750's.

·
Registered
51 Posts
DAT'Z WHY YOU SHOULD GET 1000 CC'Z!

I WOULDN'T STOP FOR NO PO-LICE UNLEZZ I WUZ RIDIN' A LITTLE SISSIE BIKE LIKE A 750 AND I KNEW I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO GET AWAY.

I DO HAVE TO PAY MAXIMUM RESPECT TO THE GUY WHO STOPPED AND THEN PULLED A WHEELIE AFTER SHE PULLED HIM OVER! EXTRA POINTZ FOR INVOLVING HIZ GIRLFRIEND IN A HIGH-SPEED CHASE AS WELL.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I also find the first paragraph interesting.

Maybe it was spring fever. Or maybe it was the challenge of testing police officers.

Is it beyond plausability that some of them just didn't want to get caught and put through the wringer? Especially for something that, by any measure, presented little risk to anyone else?

Even the guys I know who have run certainly don't go looking to bait cops and get in chases for fun.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Hey if a cop tries to stop a car, does every car in the pack stop? Y they expect every bike in a group to stop? On group rides i say last guy should stop and take one for the team. Unless last guy is me then it's every dog for hisself...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
"Frankly they're putting themselves and all other motorists on the road at risk."

Yeah right, I wonder if the public "servant" spewing that drivel offered any thoughts on the public endangerment commited by the pursuing officers in their 4,000 pound patrol cars. VWW

·
Registered
144 Posts
You've got it all wrong. All but one stops immediately and if he eventually gets stopped the officers will ask him why he didn't stop. The rider says, 'all the others had weed or warrants". Beating will follow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had a buddy in the Quad Cities a few years ago that did this sort of thing once in a while. Soon as the group saw a cop car, they'd break up, speed up, and disappear down exit ramps and various side streets. That way no more than one or two of them would get caught at the same time. I suppose it helped having the Mississippi River splitting up jurisdictions.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
I don't care how fast your bike is. It's still slower than a radio.

Just stop and take your medicine like a man.

Or simply never rev your Ninja past 9000 rpm.

·
Registered
216 Posts
At last, the 750's are making a comeback. Hey! When are you guys gonna start reviewing the 750's?????

I'm pretty sure that someone is going to beat you to the punch on this one and I'll have to demand my $12 back.

·
Registered
36 Posts
As great as my disdain for authority is, I have to admit I live by that credo as well. Years and years as a motorcyclist in L.A. have shown me that if I just pull over, say as little as possible and buy as much time as possible via the court system before actually showing up in court I invariably win my case. I've not lost one yet. Or I take traffic school. Lemme tell ya, there's no sweeter victory than makin' a fool of a cop in front of the judge whom he sees on a weekly basis.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What's up with (some) sportbikers in Minnesota?

Perhaps the state motto should be changed to:

"Where 205mph RC-51's Roam"

or perhaps

"Land of the Squid"

or maybe

"The Run from the Po-Po State"

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.