Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Less so on the '05, but up to '04 the Triumph Sprint ST. It is a very sporty sport-tourer (you can ride it as hard as a public road will allow), but the pillion does not become a backpack. You can see the difference in the seat as compared to other sport bikes. Check it out. Great bike all around too. That triple engine is one sweet ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Kawasaki ZX12-R or its 2006 replacement. Fast, comfortable, riding position is just sporting enough such that windblast at highway speeds allows for comfortable riding. I own a cruiser (Vulcan 2000), but if I had to do it all over again that's probably the bike I'd buy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, I have a pair of friends who swear up and down that their 2005 GSX-R1000 is more comfortable for 2-up riding than an FJR1300. I am somewhat inclined to believe them because they have more miles on their '05 Gixxer than I have on my '05 Gixxer Sixxer. I have 12,000 on mine, but they hit that mark a few months ago. Do I even have to mention that these two people are crazy?

Before the new Gixxer they had (and still have) a Honda CBR929 which they also really liked for 2-up. So it really depends on you and your passenger. Some people are like my buddies and really prefer hardcore sportbikes for 2-up.

"It's always easier to do things the hard way." -- Chango

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am kind of in the same camp now. I am considering the Ducati ST4s ABS. I rented one in Italy for 3 weeks, and it was a perfect sporty sport tourer. The ST3 isn't bad either. I rented that one last year, but I was riding solo that time. If you like the looks the new BMW K1200R would work really well. The optional windscreen actually provides good wind protection. The Kawasaki is a great suggestion also.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
And if you get an aftermarket seat from Corbin, Keith's or Sargent, the pillion is even better.

The other thing to look at for the 2-up is the location of the 2nd set of pegs. The Sprint has them located a good bit down on the bike.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Sportbike is your desire get a Kawasaki ZZR600. It's got new skin for 06 and will crank out 100hp and weigh in under 425lbs. Great power to weight for a middleweight sportbike. Otherwise, buy the ZZR1200 (carbs and all) will produce enough power (145 rwhp) too. Oh, Progressive has the ZZR1200 under the sporttour section- so cheap insurance will be yours as well.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
the sleeper in the bunch is the honda superhawk. reliable and cheap to insure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Reasonable comfort. Subjective, but I'll give it a shot. Two TOTALLY different bikes:

I own an SV650 that is really a lot of fun two-up. I haven't ever had a complaint from someone on the back. A harley rider said its the most comfortable bike she'd ever been on. SUPER light, but surprisingly well behaved even when it's loaded down. Decent power and enough brakes to make up for added weight.

And number two: The FJR 1300. Obviously plenty of power, totally linear and friendly. The non-compliance with what you're looking for is the heft. Not too noticeable when you're riding, except maybe on the brakes. Turns in pretty quick for a 600 plus pounder. And it inspires oodles of confidence.

You didn't say much about the distances you'd be riding. Trips on the SV never last more than about two hours, and at that point it's definitely break time. It's just so damn cheap :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
from what i've read, wait for the 06's.

kawi is rumored for an up-dated zzr-1300.

radial brakes and so on.

suzuki is rumored to re-do the hyabusa

yamaha also rumored to up-date the fz1

this info should start trickling out in september.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I believe that the NEW ZZR1300 will get stuck back in the sportbike segment in the insurance industry. The guys at Kaw reportedly have up the ante to some 180-190 chp. So long, sport tour. Hello, hyper sport.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Correction: The FZ1 has 4 lovely carbs, not FI. It's a wonderful bike. I'd suggest buying some GYT-R bar risers though as they drop the bars about an inch.

The bike is smother than a 919 IMHO and the fairing helps although it kinda sticks out there further than a sport bike so it causes some buffeting. It has great headlights too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am going to suggest a V-Strom (either the 650 or 1000). I know some of you will not consider it in the same class as some of the sporty bikes listed here, but it is an awesome bike...capable in the twisties, good wind protection on the interstate, and a nice wide pillion that doesn't put your passenger two feet above you (they will appreciate it, I promise).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.