Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This sounds like old news. Honda reportedly suspended shipment of STs to Europe for stability issues, but that was before any STs got to the US.

Motorcycle Consumer News has kept tabs on this issue. Check their ST reviews.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
If I recall correctly, (and if the drugs haven't been too good) that the problem was solved by having the rider wear arm chaps.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
This is ridiculous. Everyone knows that Hondas never have any problems.

It's only certain manufacturers or certain air-cooled twins who have problems with their bikes. Any instances of problems with other manufacturer's bikes are to be referred to as "teething issues". Or maybe "beta testing".

But never as problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree. However, why would anyone even dare consider the ST1300 when the Kawasaki Concours is available??? In fact, one would be better off on a VFR or SV650 than the ST. When will people learn...

-The People

·
Registered
93 Posts
This "high speed instability" issue was addressed a long time ago, and it was part of the reason the ST1300's release in the U.S. was delayed so long.

The supposed fix had to do with properly torqueing engine mounts which weren't torqued correctly, according to Honda.

Supposedly all U.S. units were delivered with the proper torque specs and I can definitely say that my ST1300 exhibited no such high speed instability issues.

Like the FJR1300 (but supposedly to a lesser degree), the ST1300 also had a problem with excessive engine heat roasting the rider on hot days. That too was supposedly addressed during the delay, as was the issue of the oil sump's protruding tang.

On the engine heat score I can definitely say that whatever fix Honda provided (stupid triangle tank pads, mainly) was little more than a band aid remedy, as the bike definitely broils my legs from just above the knees down to my feet in any ambient temperature above 85 degrees.

To me, the bike's almost unridable in hot temps.

When I called Honda USA to see what they had to say about fixing my bike they told me that the problem was fixed during the delayed release, and that they now consider the bike to be running properly.

I told them, "Well, that may be true, but that's not the same thing as saying it's running ACCEPTABLY, which it most certainly is NOT!!"

Honda needs to fix this issue on the '04s, as does Yamaha on the FJR.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a seperate issue from last year when Honda delayed the delivery of all ST1300s. Since April 2003 Honda has AGAIN stopped all deliveries of the ST1300ABS but keeps it very quite as of the reasons motivating the decision. One of the possible issue again is the high speed stability. I heard that the deliveries have re-started again a few days ago but no confirmation....

Now we have the GL1800 plagued with overheating problems, the ST1300 with high speed stability and heat management issues and of course the $27k plastic "custom" Valkyrie Rune. Way to go Honda !

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Near as I can tell, being a Honda dealer myself, Honda didn't stop ST1300 deliveries in April of this year.

We received the units we were supposed to receive, and so did all the other dealers. There simply weren't any further scheduled deliveries by the time April rolled around. The allocations had already all been filled.

As for the Gold Wing overheating, well, yes and no.

Yes, Honda's instituted a stupid sticker on the instruments telling customers not to operate the bike in hot weather in first gear at 10 mph, to speed up or change up gears in that situation.

However, it's not really an overheating problem. It's a coolant temp needle display problem.

What's happening is that the bike's actual engine temp remains just fine, but the needle's misreading, which is alarming customers.

Regardless, yes, it needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Since you obviously know a great deal about the myths and truths surrounding the current Hondas, do you have any other comments on the ST1300, GL1800, or VFR? I've been hearing people bash all three as not living up to normal Honda quality with heat, vibration, and electrical issues. However, we all know that a certain element likes to complain about everything.

Maybe I can put it this way, would you recommend these bikes to a friend or would you point them towards different bikes?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own an ST1300A. It NEVER weave, (I took it often over 200kmhr, but never over 220 kmhr).

The heat is not as bas as most other motorcycles around. It takes an idiot to think that when riding in 95 degrees heat wave you'll feel cool ! Buy a air conditioned ******* cage !

I think that besides beginners and ex-cagers,

the *****ing and flaming comes mostly for the ugly Yam and ***** poor BM envious owners.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I got my masters in Industrial Engineering from Purdue University and we had a Professor that wrote a book called the Myth of Japenese quality of which he gave each of us a signed copy. Anyway, he lived over their for a year or so and said they were very prejudiced against all non-Japanese. He also said that their wash machines at that time didn't even have an agitator only a spin cycle. They had to hand agitate then let the machine do the rest (real strange). They gave him a presentation and the overhead projector wouldn't aim properly at the screen so they had a guy hold the projector arm in place with a string but would not acknowledge that there was any problem. The Professor claimed that they refuse to confront any problem like we would (head on). A problem like that is not to be talked about out loud because it would be unseemingly to do so. The professor had his family with him and said that his children were treated like 10th class citizens by the other children while they were in Japan. The other thing I remember him telling us was that Americans that own the cars have bought into the Myth of Japanese quality to such an extent that problems they would normally own up to about an American made vehicle they would never mention about a Japanese vehicle. The problem is therebut they put up with it because it is Japanese and therefore does not exist. Now I've had plenty of Japanese made bikes in my time and they have had plenty of problems and I always just fixed them but I bought a Harley in 97' and it is not perfect but it sure as heck has held up better than any of my other bikes. But then it cost way more than any of my other bikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I certainly believe that your post has merit. However, having said that, some Japanese cars have proven to be very reliable over time. These statistics are closely monitored by a number of surveys. The thing is that Honda and Toyota are, I believe, the only Japanese manufacturers whose cars are proven to be above average with regard to reliability. I have owned a number of Subarus (love the AWD in the northeast) and have had almost no problems with any of them, so I'm surprised that Subaru isn't up there as well. Anyway, what I can say is that any VW I've owned (including a Passat and a EuroVan, both of which are made in Germany) has given me major headaches. Some much for German engineering.

With regard to motorcycles, I've owned 3 ('98 ZX6R, '00 YZF600R, and now an '02 VTR1000F) and have never had problems with any of them. Then again, I don't keep bikes too long. Well, the ZX was stolen so I didn't really have anything to do with that. What I do know is that there have been major problems with Buells.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts