Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
ahh 2nd post! I almost purchase a Guzzi this time around but I got a smoking deal on a 04 999 that I simply couldn't pass up..:)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
It's the 750ie Nevada for Dirty!

The little 750 might have looks that only a (blind) mother could love and so what if it's a little weak in the motor dept. Even with its ugly looks and 1/2 output motor, it is much more fun to ride than the cool looking 80HP V11 Coppa Italia. The Nevada has a nice sound and is easy yet fun to ride, reminding me of an SV-650 more than anything else. It also does nice wheelies and I'd gladly take one over a Coppa Italia for anything short of track work. -Sean

·
Registered
277 Posts
You're all going to hate these Guzzis. Fooled by the gushing review, you'll buy one, learn what a tractor it is, realise too late that its value has plummeted, and be forced to offload the thing on E-Bay for a fraction of what you paid for it...and real Guzzisti like me who love them to death but can't afford a new one will snap them up and keep them for ever Hahahahaha!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
After a short spin on an Eldorado back in the 70's, I can say the Guzzi is a bit wierd, but fun. I'm sure it takes a unique taste to own one of these machines. I can see Gabeo on one, but I doubt I would fit on either of these. Nice writeup!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Lets see I have a 77 LeMans, a 80 1000SP. My wife drives a 94 Saab and I have a Subaru. Ok I also ride a 98 Triumph Sprint Executive but thats as normal as I can get.

From what I have heard Guzzi is no longer going to make the spine framed bikes (LeMans, Sport, etc). Thats to bad they are a lot of fun.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The Nevada looks like a Ducati Indiana with the engine stuck in sideways. But don't pick on the looks too much. Guzzi is just offering the style that dominated Japanese cruisers all through the late 70s and early 80's.

And I think that people who like Guzzis would be more partial to 50's two-stroke front wheel drive Saabs. The kind that navy idiots buy and then try to drive from San Diego to Denver for christmas.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
It's always nice to hear words like "chinzaano" and "gootsie" spoken by a true Italian. Italians understand sight and sound. You gotta own at least one thing Italian in your life and a Guzzi is a good place to start.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Gimmie a minute to stop laughing!

The crack about the 70s Saabs just-about floored me. Ask the owner of a 96 Series Saab about thier car and you'd better be prepared for a lecture of monumental length, depth and boredom. If you don't have the good sense to fake a stroke - and lay motionless, until the paramedics to arrive - you'll treated to: early ice-racing expliots, extensive details about the 3cylinder-2cycle engine, and how the the Sonnet was the greatest-sports-car ever.

In my experience, Guzzi owner aren't that bad. But, if an apparel company ever decides to make a wool motorcycle jacket, with leather elbow patches, A Guzzi rider will be first-in-line.

A few weeks ago, I actually met a guy riding a Coppa Italia. He was about my age (older that dirt) and he'd just-bought the Guzzi, after 15-years away from riding, because of a bad wreck. After listening to the guy and taking a gander at the bike, the Guzzi seemed to make sense. His Guzzi was a lump but it was a well appointed lump; what it lacked in engine, it made-up-for in chassis components. The guy wanted a bike he could ride and have fun on, but he also knew that his Ricky road-racer-days were over. The price was high and the engine technology wasn't there, but the Guzzi made more sense than a Gyno-Glide.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I had a 1957 Auto Union-DKW. A quart of outboard oil with every fill up (worked out to about 15.1). A transverse leaf spring in front held it all together. 3 cyl 750.

Neat little car, wish I still had it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just reread the story and read " ill-handling beast of yesterday"? How far back are you going? Dr, Johns Guzzi team winning endurance races in the mid 80's on pretty stock LeMan's. Mike Baldwin racing on Guzzis in the 70's? Maybe the 16" front wheeled bikes but even those where not bad.

Any review of the Guzzi EV, California line always talk about how well they handel, and you can trace the Tonti Frame back to the V7 Sport. and 850 LeMans.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
A Zundap engined Rickman won the vintage class at Adelanto this year. Beeyootiful bike.

Shifts almost as good as a DKW too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
A guy I ride with has a V11 LeMans that he occasionally swaps rides with and Duc owners, Japanese superbike owners, everyone who's ridden it raves about it.

I've seen personally two real inline-4 liter bike bigots take that bike over Skaggs Springs Road & come back saying they loved it.

But of course the spec sheet racers will tell the Guzzi sucks and any modern supersport will produce more power at 12,500 rpm.

P.S. Anybody who complains about the Guzzi transmission clearly hasn't spent enough time on a Buell.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I rode a Breva 750 a while back and thought that it felt like a lot more fun than the spec sheet would lead one to believe. Perhaps it was the more "standard" riding position, but I thought the suspension felt very comfortable and the engine very smooth at 70+ MPH speeds on the freeway. The motor sounded great and I personally prefer the styling to the Nevada which just seems somewhat odd to my eye.

Like many others, I suppose, I came "this close" to buying one but didn't. I stumbled across a barely used (and much less expensive) Kawi W650 that just stole my heart at the last minute. I still think about that Guzzi, though. The local dealer must be sick of my nose prints on his front glass.

I would have to assume that the current U.S. Dollar/Euro exchange rate has priced these small-block Guzzis much higher than the factory originally intended.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: Gimmie a minute to stop laughing!

I have a newer Saab (and of course a Guzzi) now, but

don't get me started...driving a two-stroke 96 is like flying a plane...really a hoot at 10,000 RPM too

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good job, another review on bikes that are not in the mainstream.

Now, if only could get your hands on an easy-to-find Vulcan 750 and give us a nice review, that would be great. I've been waiting for years for a good review on the unique VN750, including dynos. Now, since I bought one, I dare you to write one before I send you one!

Jokes aside, please include it in your next budget bikecruiserstandardtourings or whatever you want to call it.

G

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think the Breva is a great looking bike. Guzzi has been hinting about producing an 1100 Breva ever since they came out with 750. They've shown pre-production versions in brochures that include bags and a small flyscreen. When the company gets back on firm footing and puts that bike into production, I'll be interested.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
My dad had one of those when we lived in Montreal, the a/c two stroke made it perfect for those brisk -15* days, didn't have to worry about anti-freeze and by the time you shoveled snow out of the way it was warmed up.

They decided we needed a bigger car so we got a '59 Beetle.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.