Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First!

Well done. As always, a pleasure to read.

Rob

·
Registered
173 Posts
Nice article. Having a different question is frequently a good thing. I bought a 2006 R6 after listening to my riding buddies dire predictions of "unrideable on the street" Nope, as you describe it, it is at home there too. Although it is a total blast to ride at a track day. Makes this old slow guy feel like a real rider. Confidence is what it's about (apparently).

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Review

Fun read Pete...You are developing a great writing style.. Heck I was watching 24 but I had to finish your piece... your enthusiasm was contagious I am glad Kawasaki fixed the all the problems I saw with the 06. You pointed out all the ones I knew about and a few more I didn't.. Great to know that the best value in the motorcycle world (the 600 cc Super sport) is still getting better.. heck because of its superior handling, braking and performance is probably one of the safest bikes out there*

Maybe I should just trade in the 01...so many choices..

*kpaul says, "sportbikes if driven within the traffic laws are safer than any other motorcycle.". i.e. better to avoid an accident with a great handling bike with superior brakes and acceleration.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stay on the Gas! (Oh, is that what they call it these days....?)

Nah more like a medium sized bag of Meth.....

Rob

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Agreed these guys (MO) are on a roll..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
"Makes this old slow guy feel like a real rider. Confidence is what it's about (apparently)."

You nailed it.. After riding a couple of other types of bikes (cruisers and standards) I got back on my old 01 Ninja and I felt I was flying a fighter jet vs a Cessana 172 that the other bikes were.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Thanks for the "Inside the 6R" shots of the cutaway bike, AND the "machinists buffet-table". I absolutely loved it.

I love cutaways. Ever since I constructed one at a company I used to work for, I have a serious appreciation for the hard-work that goes into making one look passable, let alone stop-and-stare-would-you-F'n-lookit-THAT! kind of good.

I really miss those types of pics, haven't seen anything much like them since the demise of Cycle magazine.

I also have to say the Staff of MO are really gettin' it all together. Being compared to Cycle is a Good Thing™. -- In its day, it was the best Motorcycling Magazine out there. Period.

Goodonya, MO.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I didn't even read the article but I did have a nice Borrego shank and ranch beans, plus refried beans and a bunch of Negra Modela's for dinner.....

staying on the gas my friends, is not an issue, oddly enough, my sqeeze decided to stay at her crib tonight............

·
Registered
33 Posts
"Event horizon?"

"Event horizon?"

You keep using this term. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Steely Dan is not one person. We get fringe benefits, not French benefits, it's not the Leaning Tower of Pizza, and James Dean was an actor—Jimmy Dean makes sausages.

And an event horizon - in general relativity, event horizon is a general term for a boundary in spacetime, defined with respect to an observer, beyond which events cannot affect the observer. Light emitted beyond the horizon can never reach the observer, and anything that passes through the horizon from the observer's side is never seen again. A black hole is surrounded by an event horizon, for example.

In other words, it doesn't have anything to do with improvements in motorcycles. Sheesh.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Nice... but I for one would like to see them MORE racer friendly...

Where are the lowers that can hold oil as required by many race orgs? Where are the fairings held on by clips and zeus faseners? Were are the tails big enough for some proper race numbers?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Somehow, I didn't think you were old enough to know what Cycle was all about. They gave you numbers and theory and let you come to your own conclusions. It's hard to find a publication nowadays that you can sincerely think of as respecting their readers. You can tell by how they 'dumb down' the whole article, and make it all about Style or Tech Numbers.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Are you God? Seriously, people like you scare the hell out of me. I buy a cheap digital watch every now and then, and read the instructions on how to set the time.

The next time Daylight Savings comes into play, I have, inevitably, lost the instructions for changing the time, so I just go buy another cheap watch. (Stock tip--buy Timex).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: Excellent Review

Dear Great Satan--I take your point, but the Faceless Bean Counters tell a different story. The CRX and the Civic had the same platform, but very different numbers, as far as the Insurance Companies are concerned. The difference is in how the two vehicles are used. The Civic was purchased by people looking for solid, dependable vehicles, transportation from point A to point B The CRX was a pariah almost immediately. The difference is in how they were used, not so much about how they performed. That's why minivans score so well in total fatalities, even though they are, uh, dynamically challenged.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
You guys are surely on afterburn-er right now. SO, the new owners of MO are actually making you work, huh? Keep this stuff up and there will be too many threads at one time for us poor MOrons to keep up. Glad to see it. Keep the great writing flowing and readership will go throught the roof this year boys.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
H1-R

Thanks for the nice photo of the Kaw H1-R. Brings back great memories for me. I was on a hiatus from my undergrad days (like Zonker, my sophomore year was the best 3 years of my life) and working at the Kaw SE Distribution Center. H1-R's were current racetrack bikes, Cook and Phil were busy birthing Ole Blue, men were men and clothes were awkward. Ahh, the 70's! And a time or two, I got to pick H1-R parts and pack 'em to sent to Kevin Cameron and the Tubby Tuners...

I suppose I worry a bit about bikes getting faster and impending regulation. Pete is right to worry. The bad news is that looks like the fastness is irrelevant. We may be entering a longer term political cycle where regulations & taxes spiral upwards. Once implemented, almost impossible to undo without civilians resorting to muskets, pitchforks & hangin' rope.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Race style street fairings?

No one runs on the track with stock plastic. If you're that hardcore, you're probably going to pull the lights and run a race fairing anyways, right? Plus, if you put Dzus fasteners on a street fairing, don't you think your lower is going to walk off on its own the first dark evening you park in the city?

--The Fox

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Oh yes, that glorious time of year when all those proud owners of 2006 sportbikes are relegated to the back benches at the Burger Barn.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Excellent Review

Why bother? The initial idiot claim that sportbikes are inherently safer then, say naked standards, is so fecklessly ignorant that any response to such impenetrable obtuseness is pointless.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
My apologies

I didn't start out the day in a bad mood but I'm being forced to read stuff like this today:

"Requirements management, in conjunction with the design process, is an iterative

process at each level of the system structure, and is applied recursively to lower tiers of the

functional and physical architectures throughout development and verification. The need for

disciplined requirements management holds true whether for a new system, a modification, or a

change in operations, maintenance, or supply. The objective is to ensure that the technical

requirements derived from the customer-designated capabilities are feasible, balanced, effective

and verifiable, as well as updated as more information is learned about the requirements and

interfaces through analysis, demonstration, or operation. Modification programs and changes in

use, operating environment, maintenance, or support activities, all require the same rigorous

requirements management process."

Isn't middle management a wonderful thing? Are there anyone out there who can speak or write plain English?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.