Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
I completely agree. Anybody who changes their stock pipes is doing it for the noise. Nothing wrong with that, but any claims about increased power is just BS. Even the manufacturer's dyno charts show these incredibly modest gains in torque and hp. And those gains can be offset by a few extra donuts or minor misadjustment in the FI.

The VStrom is a particularly interesting case. The factory setup is a gorgeous 2-1-2, tightly fitted against the frame and tailsection. It has welded on brushed stainless heat shields, killer end-caps, etc. And guys are ripping them off and hanging these "cans" with what looks like pipe strap. By-by heatshields, by by crossovers.

It reminds me of my 77 FXS. It came from the factory with a tuned header pipe with a crossover, and this huge bazooka muffler out back. My pal Mark who was a HD mechanic those days told me 99% of the buyers ripped them off and put on straight pipes. When I was finally able to find the stock header and muffler and re-install them on my bike, the performance and overall ridability change was astounding.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.