Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think it would be very interesting to see everyone go to stock machines, with the only mods allowed being the romaval of fenders and lights, etc. Of course, if those stock machines ran against an open field, they would definitely lose, but probably not by a whole lot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
RoadracingWorld did just that in an AMA race. They took a bone stock R1 and entered it a few years back. Jeremy Toye rode it. The just threw bodywork on it and wired it up. No suspension replacement or motorwork was done to the bike. I remember him getting mentioned during the race on Speed by the anouncer as they thought he had lights on the bike but they were decals. He finished well but outside the top ten. It was a good story but the bike needed a lot to compete with non stock suspension and motorwork.

·
Registered
138 Posts
In a heads up, stock vs factory race bike, showdown among the top riders I don't think Vale would do much better than mid pack with the factory bikes in front. However, put me on a Desmosedici and Vale on a Burgman and lookout world! After I got out of the cardiac unit I'd go congratulate him on another win.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can compare...

Compare the laptimes of superstock vs superbike vs motogp, and reflect that superstock and superbike have some really good (soon to be MotoGP/ex MotoGP) riders.

If you want to race cheaply, go race pocketbike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Come on Thurber, what's the matter with you. You know that most of the people that read this are not interested in anything less than the fastest possible bike on the track. And the only thing they can think about that is how to make it go faster. Geez, get on the track with a stock bike like a hayabusa or -14 that will only go what, 180? How could that be any fun? Also kinda odd that so many of these fast fanatics actually buy bikes like the SV650 for themselves. Could it be that top speed isn't what it's all about?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
"Is the cost of a true racing machine worth it? "

Only if you are good enough to attract sponsors who will then pay for it for you. That would mean that you would be bored and yawning while riding a GSX1000 at full tilt.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I think that would depend more on the track, at that point.

At Road America or Daytona? I'd wager you're right.

But at, say, Little Tally (Talladega) in Birmingham, Alabama? That place is a goat rodeo, and I have seen 625 KTM supermotards beat the times of SV-1000s, Milles, and GSXR-750s. So while I haven't seen with my own eyes, a stock literbike beat a factory racer, I think it has more to do with 1) the rider, and 2) the track, then maybe 3) the bike.

On a small track, the power can actually be a disadvantage.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes, money matters... small modestly profitable Ducati fields full factory teams in MotoGP, World Superbike and British Superbike plus a semi-works team in AMA... and something like 95% of the total cost of their racing efforts is covered by their sponsors

I understand one of the reasons Rossi did NOT go to Ducati a few years ago is because he wasn't willing to put up with the number of public appearances that Ducati team riders are expected to make at sponsor events, etc... Rossi just couldn't see himself spending every non-race weekend cutting ribbons at some shopping mall grand opening

P.S. Honda has the love for Pedrosa, they don't really for Hayden... but it wouldn't surprise me to see them fighting other teams to re-sign Hayden because he's fast AND so good natured and presentable at all the PR stuff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.