Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year ago today my life changed. In 2006 at 2:41 in the afternoon, on Olive Ave in Burbank California a speeding Hyundai Santa Fe came up from behind and sideswiped me, and sent my City-X and I into a high curb, that ended my riding career and almost my life. I sustained over 15 broken bones, the most important one being my T-12 thoracic vertebrae that burst and severed my spinal cord, leaving me paralyzed from the waist down for life.

I have a lot to be thankful for, my wife, mom and daughter who stood by me through this whole test of faith, my friends who visited me through those horrible first six months in the hospital, my boss at work who kept me on the payroll through the whole ordeal. And you Morons out there in virtual motorcycle land where the roads are always twisty and free of traffic. You guys sustained me in some of my darkest moments, when I didn't want to live. When I thought it was over, reading your missives off my laptop kept my spirits up, and let me see that I had to survive, to keep on going if I ever wanted to ride again, albeit vicariously.

I could go on about fear, and pain, the realization that nothing will be the same as it was, but I'm going to forgo that b.s. and just say thank you.

And one last thing: Be careful out there, it can all change in an instant. You don't want to end up like me. Wear all the armor you can get on your body.

Merry Xmas, Kwanzaa, Festivus or whatever you believe in.
Cheers,
Matthew Steven Cuddy
In a chair, somewhere in Burbank

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Well....umm... Happy Anniversery....

Honestly Shipmate, words fail..what happened to you is a nightmare we all live with, I'm truly sorry for you. Maybe with the advances we're making in Stem Cell research there'll be a solution in our liftetime that'll get you up and around again, we can only hope for the best.

Mery Christmas my friend,

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Cuddy my man, you kept going when some of us would have quit. Fighting till the last is the mark of a truly great one. You still have your humor, experience, and knowledge intact. One day I'm sure you will be in the wind again. And don't listen to that Ken Moore guy. He's trouble!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
While not quite the same situation, just a few weeks-ago was the 1st Anniversary of another friend of mine's near-fatal moto-crash (left-turning girl in a Honda "didn't see him" and smacked his SV). This resulted in the loss of his right arm, and very nearly, his right leg. He refers to that date as his "Alive Day".

Happy Alive Day, Mr. Cuddy. I'm glad to have you still with us.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Give till it hurts

Hey Cuddy,

You kept your sense of humor through this and probably learned how to mix a few new drinks.

Now listen up you Mofos. Our dear Cuddy still has lots of bills and stuff and needs a car with hand controls and maybe a new subscription to Playboy or Old Motorcycles Daily.

I wanted to set up some kind of posting area but this will have to do and maybe the moderators can stick this up somewhere so everyone can see it.

A few months back I had Matt set up a Paypal account so money could be easily donated. You can donate in any amount. Skip a few lattes and send $20 his way.

I started the process with a $1000 in his account and the evil longride sent a nice wad his way as well.

Wishes and prayers are always appreciated but don't keep the bill collectors away! Trust me I know!

The address is [email protected]

Link to it at www.paypal.com

Give 'till it hurts Mofos!

Feel free to post after you give (not the amount just that you did) so we can create a little momentum.

If you can raise another $500 collectively I'll ping him with another $500 of my own.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I think eveyone that reads this message needs to give a few bucks. Yeah, that means YOU. We are the lucky ones. Our MO brother is in need. Cuddy is not the type to ask for help, yet we all here at MO need to help him out. He is one of us, and the same thing could happen to any of us. When I was down for the count, the people that helped me get through it were all the difference in the world. Time for me and the rest of you MoRons to pay it forward. No excuses accepted. If you can afford gas in your bike, you can throw a few bucks in to help a fallen brother.

Here's the info. Get to it!

The address is [email protected]

Link to it at www.paypal.com

Give 'till it hurts Mofos!

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Sorry I couldn't send more right now, my Friend.

-Scott

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Matt, best wishes and may you never have to read anything from KPaul ever again.
One might wish the same for you, Gabe. In your situation, wish in one hand and change yer oil into the other - see which one lights on fire the easiest........... :cool:

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everybody!

You guys are the best. I can now build a GIGANTIC still to brew up (ahem) motor fuel only...hic...

Later,
Matt

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Matt,

I'm back on my bike 15 weeks after the second surgery on my arm. I had severe issues from the original surgery to repair the shattered bone- a result of a head-on with a car on the 'Dragon in May of '03.

I had the very good fortune of finding an excellent Orthopod, who seems to have repaired my arm to most of it's old self.

My Christmas wish for you is that the good Lord has plans to set you right.

My contribution, although smaller than I'd like, is already in your account.

Merry Christmas, shipmate!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I enjoy your writing. The world is full of ignorant peasants who could benefit from your cuddyisms about the wild world of moto-sports.

Please don't stop writing, even if the beneficiaries may be unwashed unworthy hairy savages. Like me.

Anyway, I used "paypal", but maybe there could be a more manly way of doing things? I guess it is better than "manpal".

Punch yourself in the face for me, will ya? There needs to be balance in the force...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.