Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You are right..... I would never be caught with one of the many Crescent wrenches I own in my own hands. (they are "loaners"!)

I would have to say the cheapie $ 2.39 tubeless tire patch kits found at every gas station on the planet, to fix the flat tire on your kids car at 11:30 pm in the rain.

And a few other actually useful inventions, like the portable jumpstart battery with built-in air compressor for said flat tire.

Next person..........

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
The zip-lock bag in any size. Sandwich=insurance & reg. papers under the seat. A paper towel with windex sprayed on it in the jacket pocket.

1Gallon=Repackage the 25 chicken breasts and 15lbs of hamburger after going to Costco. Keeps all the kids cereal fresh and they actually like the "blue and green make purple" game. Oh yea, they are great for keeping socks and underwear dry in your bike bag.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Duct tape and baling wire. It's the de-facto toolkit for any Harley rider, and can fix anything, anywhere, anytime. Oil-Dry would be a distant third, but necessary to keep the garage oil puddles to a minimum.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Zip ties, broadband internet connections, Toyotas, Martin guitars, leatherman tool, dishwashers, microwaves, snowblowers, brick siding, intel processors, rechargable batteries, a week in Ouray, Colorado and decaf. There is now way I could hold a job without decaf.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Vice grips, definitely. Good for a third hand, handier than a second wife. I've used them to replace broken pegs, to shoot drum brake springs to the moon (old timers will know what I'm talking about), to hold a roach, to repair plumbing. Elegant? Nah, but then we're talking about Stuff that Works, right? The elegance is built right in...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Uh, how about a good tire pressure guage? Scribing around on little contact patches anyone? I try to be dilligent with proper inflation...anyone else?

"The Absorber" for quickly mopping rain or dew moisture off the Corbin.

Proper torque wrench for do-it-yourself maintenance (chain tightening being perhaps the most frequent).

Quality coin holder to be stowed away in the tank bag for paying Chicago tolls (though I'll need to get an I-Pass now since they've doubled the rates to $.80 if you don't have one).

Also - how about tankbags in general? I never ride without mine - chock full of all my "what if" and "be prepared" stuff - Is that geeky of me? Maybe. Does it give me effective grief insurance? Yes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Paying Homage:

1.) Front and Rear stands... Stupidly simple and unbreakable, yet I couldn't own a track bike without 'em.

2.) Check Valves 0>- Makes bleeding your brakes/clutch a one-man job.

3.) Zip Ties, need I say more?

4.) Maguire's Wax... Lasts forever.

5a.) Conical Split-Keys that are used to attach valve stems to the retainer... This is perhaps the greatest invention ever made. We should have a national holiday for this guy. Please advise if you know who it was?

5b.) Valve removal tool/spring compressor (couldn't use conical split-keys without it)

Honorable mentions: Modern Oil technology, modern tire compounds, aftermarket clutch slave cylinders (ducati riders only), Water Dispersion Test #40, kangaroo leather, back protectors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spring loaded wooden clothespins. use 'em as is or flip the wooden parts the other way on the spring and use as thin-nosed spring tweezers. I have one in my jacket pocket and use it for everything

·
Registered
771 Posts
Things you can't take on an airplane

Zippo Lighter- I've tried all of them and the zippo takes a beating and keeps working.

Quality Pocket Knife- whatever your personal preference is, a pocket knife will allways be a handy thing to have.

and another vote for a quality 4way screwdriver.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Crescent Wrench??? Please...

I don't own one. Period. I can't believe we've mentioned cresent wrenches but not a good old fashioned, racheting socket set. With 6-point sockets of course. How much would life suck if you always had to use open-end or boxed-end wrenches?

I'd add my hex-bit sockets to the list too...I'm a racheting socket junkie.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.