Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! And people wonder why insurance rates are so high..

·
Registered
39 Posts
"Kinda fuzzy, but did I see a purple loveseat mounted on a mountain bike and ridden by 3 guys? With three people I guess we should call it a ménage a trois seat. "

Be careful talking about the 2005 HD Electraglide like that, you may get slapped with some arm chap fringe.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Man, that couch crash was great. Now that's eating it big.

I'd hate to wake up in the hospital, and tell the doctor I broke my ass by falling off the couch.

Reminds of of the time we motorized a Barcalounger.

Furniture pilots unite!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did that on my first bicycle with good brakes when I tried to panic stop. It was strange sliding on the ground watching my bike cartwheel behind me much like that bike in the video. Very painful though!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yow!

That's the worst couch crash I've ever seen. That fired my curiosity, so I did a little research, and wound up ordering a report from the USDOT website entitled "Statistical Abstract of Motorized or Self-Motive Domicile-Derived Seating and Utility Furniture Accidents and Mishaps, 1994-1998". According to the description of the report, it "attempts to illustrate and explain the great increase in self-motivated furniture related injuries, while offering recommendations to government officials and other influential personages to reduce or at least procure funding to ameliorate the over 2.3 injuries caused annually from such mishaps."

I was alarmed by the news that such injuries skyrocketed from just under one (.8) in 1994 to over 2 (2.3) in 1998, although the brief description is vague about how less than one person can be injured, although the video would indicate at least one occupant(?) of the crashing couch would be bruised on 80% of his body.

The report is 1,119 pages long, contains 114 tables and graphs and took over 6 years to produce, at the cost of 647 million dollars. Strangely, the report was mostly funded by the revenue from recyclable beverage containers.

I'll be sure to post a full review after I read it, assuming I can secure enough crank to read an 1100 page government report.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.