Motorcycle Forums banner

Suzuki going 4-stroke for 2002 MotoGP series

14K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  parahobo 
#1 ·
I think this is great news! After watching Roberts finish 7th or 8th all season it would be nice to see a podium finish. It should be an interesting season all round.

#2 ·
You got that right, the Suzuki was definitely not the class of the field. Kind of wasting KR's talent, but next year it will be a crap shoot. With no proven motorcycles, everyone will have to start from scratch. The Suzuki engine looks good from a technical standpoint and hopefully puts out the power it is supposed to. Hope they're successful.

#7 ·
How many races.....

...........do you guys think it'll take for Kenny to say the bikes a piece of , that Suzuki don't have a chance against Honda, that Suzuki just don't seem to be putting the effort in that they should be???!!!! etc. etc. p.s. Anyone know anything about what Little John's up to next year? Is he still part of the Yamaha M1 project?

#11 ·
If their 2 stroke can

4stroke. It's obvious that KRJR whined so long and loud that Suzuki was left with no choice but to hurriedly implement their 4stroke plans. What a shame that they couldn't take their time and do it right. Wait until Junior starts finishing 7th and 8th again. He might actually be forced to take some of the blame

#13 ·
Re: If their 2 stroke can

I bet Kenny would rather be finishing 7-8th on a development bike than be doing the same on something that should be capable of winning day in day out. What choice do you have? 280lbs. bike with 180 Hp and bad throttle response (that's hard to ride with when the tires go off) or 315lbs. and 210 HP and smoother power with better throttle response?

#14 ·
That's now three of the Big Four writing checks for the new formula. Anyone still thinking this isn't going to work? (If only Kawasaki could do a little more digging in the sofa cushions to fund a team, but with only 3% of even the home market there's probably not much loose change in the first place.) I just can't remember tonight if there's going to be any European factory involvement; someone mentioned Triumph a while ago, I think, and it'd be nice to see the Italians in the mix too, but what's been said for real so far?

#19 ·
Very cool. I think this is going to be very beneficial in the long run having all these manufacturers involved in GP racing. It should improve the sport and eventually, improve the bikes that we ride on the street. More teams = more competition = better racing = better bikes. Very cool.

#22 ·
Re: How many races.....

I am not arguing your point, but how do you figure that John could destroy everyone in GP? What proof of performance do you have? I would like to see him back in GPs though. Even Doohan said John's style was flawed. Too much front wheel in the corners...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.