Motorcycle Forums banner

Suzuki Recall

11K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  stoney8888 
#1 ·
bummer.

anyone blow up out there lately?

first, first post

#5 ·
Suzuki has always been my favorite of the Japanese manufacturers from the first TM and RM motocrossers to the GS1100E's to Bandit's and GSXR's, I've always thought they were excellent bikes.

It's good to see them stepping up and resolving a problem instead of trying to sweep it under the corporate rug.

#7 ·
Re: That's what you call a rice burner.

Lets see here....:

June 21, 2005

Harley-Davidson is voluntarily recalling 13,400 Dyna series motorcycles because of a faulty transmission indicator.

April 23, 2005

Harley-Davidson Recalls 2003-2005 Models for Bad Inflation Labels

On Monday, March 22nd Harley-Davidson Motor Company advised its U.S. dealers of a voluntary recall on a circuit breaker which is used on certain 2001 through 2003 model motorcycles.

December 02, 2005

Harley-Davidson Recalls 2006 Dynas for False Neutral Problem

June – August 2003

Defect: On certain Dyna, XL, and Touring model motorcycles, the tail light bulb can fall out of the socket, rendering the tail light and the brake light inoperative, which could lead to a crash.

I even found a recall on toy HD's:

World Wide Cycle Supply Inc. Recall of Bicycles Sold at Toys "R" Us

Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Harley-Davidson 16-inch BMX Bicycle....

The list went on but got bored.......

#9 ·

BMW Recall: 2003 R1100 S, 2003 R1150GS, 2003 R1150GS ADV, 2003 R1150R, 2003 R1150RS, 2003 R1150RT Motorcycles

BMW Has Recalled these motorcycles because of a potential for the rear wheel to lock.

BMW Has Recalled the 2003 F650CS Motorcycle because of a potential for the loss of braking.

Number of Units Affected: 522

Manufactured: 01/2002 - 04/2002

Defect Summary:

VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES. THE SCREWS THAT ATTACH THE REAR BRAKE CALIPER TO THE REAR SWING ARM WERE NOT TIGHTENED CORRECTLY DURING ASSEMBLY. THE SCREWS COULD LOOSEN DURING VEHICLE OPERATION AND EVENTUALLY FALL OUT ALLOWING THE REAR CALIPER TO SEPARATE FROM ITS MOUNT.

BMW Has Recalled the 2003 F650cs Motorcycle because the wheel may develop a crack.

Number of Units Affected: 265

Manufactured: 01/2002 - 05/2002

Defect Summary: ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, DUE TO A MANUFACTURING DEFECT, IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE WHEEL COULD DEVELOP A CRACK. OVER TIME, THE CRACK COULD WORSEN TO THE POINT THAT THE WHEEL FAILED AND THE DRIVE BELT DERAILED.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

BMW / K SERIES 2001-2004

BMW / R SERIES 2000-2002 2004

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V028000

Recall Date : JAN 15, 2004

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:DELIVERY:HOSES, LINES/PIPING, AND FITTINGS

Potential Number Of Units Affected: 39000

Summary:

ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES, THE O-RING CONTAINED WITHIN THE FUEL LINE QUICK-DISCONNECT COUPLING COULD BECOME DAMAGED. THERE IS ALSO A PROBLEM INVOLVING CRIMP-TYPE HOSE CLAMPS, WHICH CAN RESULT IN A SMALL FUEL LEAK.

Consequence:

FUEL LEAKAGE IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Make : BMW

Model : K1200LT

Year : 2005

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V438000

Recall Date : SEP 03, 2004

Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE - DELIVERY - FUEL PUMP

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 380

Summary:

On certain motorcycles, at lower temperatures, wiring within the anti-theft control unit may press against the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump relay contacts could open, interrupting the fuel supply to the engine, resulting in stalling.

Consequence:

if stalling were to occur, the driver would be unable to maintain speed or accelerate, increasing the risk of a crash.

There was a lot more but I got bored...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-recalls.htm

#11 ·
They've improved a lot since the old Suzuki days when they got the styling off a drunken jukebox designer's drafting table.

Remember the 750 waterpumper in tastefull shades of purple and green (vermillion?).

Or the '71 Savage 250 painted green with the orange stripe (and the same tail light as the 750)?

#16 ·
The orange tank TM400's looked pretty cool, a perfect combination of 300 rpm wide power band and a rubber frame....

When I had my Bandit I looked high and low for an old yellow Suzuki jersey like Robert and DeCoster wore. The one that looked like an NGK spark plug deal with SUZUKI on it but no luck.

A buddy of mine had a purple waterpumper, we used to call it "the bug bomb" it's a good thing my KZ750 T would out run him 'cause you didn't want to spend any time behind him out tavern hopping..

#18 ·

Yep, it would have to be the experience of a lifetime to have your tank catch fire while you're riding down the road.

Damn, can you imagine? Talk about nuts roasting over an open fire!! Yikes!

At least with the video of the burning 750 kawi I posted the other day the rider was off the thing before it went Pooof!

#19 ·

''80s Suzuki GS1100E/Ls. Serious problem with fried alternators. NEVER RECALLED.

'91-'94 Suzuki GSX1100G. Serious carburetor problems requiring replacement of carb bodies. NEVER ECALLED.

'82-'84 Honda Magnas. Serious transmission failure problem. NEVER RECALLED.

Early Honda V-4s. All models. Serious valve wear problems. NEVER ECALLED.

The list went on but got bored.

#23 ·

My 1970 Kawasaki 650 caught fire once. The engine had so many miles on it that the compression was so bad that I could start it by pushing the kickstarter with my hand. One day it backfired through the carburetors and viola!... roast kwacker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.