Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and there was this one time, see, when I rode the Volusia down a mountain road and came upon a group of sport bike riders. Picked them off one by one I did, until oh wait, no that was me on that Bulldog...

·
Registered
246 Posts
So you were able to keep up with a ST1300 while riding two up, on a cruiser, with less than 50 foot pounds of torque and horsepower. Oh yeah, the ST1300 was dragging hard parts. That's a very interesting story. Ya know this one time, in band camp......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Additional feature wanted in motorcycle reviews

One factor in a motorcycle buying decision is the cost of maintenance on that motorcycle. I would definitely appreciate in the future if you can give an estimated cost of the bike to maintain over a given period of time (such as five years). Of course you'd have to make some assumptions such as average mileage per year and such, but I know you can handle it.

For example, it's common opinion that maintaining a Honda is cheaper than a Ducati. However, having real figures might make someone in the market better informed of what the real differences in costs are. Such information in your articles would also help to differentiate this magazine from all those other cycle rags too!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Numbers

This is one of those bikes that needs to make up time in the corners to keep up with the big guys. One measure of that ability that is almost never offered in tests is the maximum lean angle, which translates directly to corner speed at any given bank and coefficient of friction.

Why isn't this part of the standard result table?

·
Registered
1 Posts
After 18 years of driving in my cage, I decided it was time that I got my motor running, head out on the highway. Uh... Oh Yeah!

I did almost two months of research before I test rode anything. The last bike I owned and drove daily, well, when it was running, was a '81 Harley Sporster. It was a piece of crap, but, HEY! I looked cool. The four bikes I chose to test ride were(drum roll please) Yamaha V-Star 1100, Trimph Bonneville America, Harley Duece and the Kawasaki Drifter 1500. All of them were easy to test ride except for the Harley, I finally got one of the mechanics to let me ride his. Since it was the last one I test drove, and I had a bit of time to get over the "Mystique" of the Harley, I realized it was not $9,000 dollars better than the other bikes, or $6,500 in the case of the Kawasaki.As a matter of fact I didn't think it was AS GOOD as the Yamaha or the Kawasaki. With the pad on the Kawasaki so my 'ol lady could ride two-up, well, it was just plain old UGLY. The Triumph was nice looking, but it seemed underpowered and kind of expensive for what you got. SO! I'm here! Ready to buy the V-Star 1100. I go back for one last ride and what is this? A Suzuki? No way! I have to drive it. Guess what? It's just as nice as the V-Star, handles better but doesn't have quite the OOMPH... But! Is the V-star $2,000 dollars better though? Nope! So I decided after almost SEVEN months that the Volusia is the way to go. So what did I buy? Why, a 1980 Yamaha XS650. of course. It's faster, handles better than the bikes above and for what they wanted for the Duece I could've bought SEVENTEEN of my little 650's. So! What was I trying to say before I got on my soapbox? For the money, the Volusia is a darn good buy. I didn't know it was 800 cc's until after I'd gotten back from my test drive. It's that GOOD! Then one day as I was coming home from work there was this old Yamaha sitting in a front yard with a for sale sign on it. Well... You know the rest of the story.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wimpy or not, this type of bike sells. I'm sure the prospective buyer of such type of bike will want to know and will find such comparo interesting (as well as a lot of us who are not in the market for a small cruiser but are curious as hell!).

Not everybody's got a hard on for the R1 or newest CBR, you know?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
If they would just lose the forward foot controls and put them back where they belong most of these cruisers would be much more livable. You can always add highway pegs for a place to stretch your legs. Locking you into the forward foot position gets too darned uncomfortable too darned fat.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Don't be so mean. If it weren't for the people who buy the cruisers and dirt bikes there wouldn't be the R&D to go into the hot iron.

Look at what you get for your bucks on a sportbike. You are getting a lot more for your dollar than the MX and cruiser crowd. I doubt that the manufacturers make enough on the sportbikes alone to justify building them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
>> So what did I buy? Why, a 1980 Yamaha XS650. of course. It's faster, handles better than the bikes above and for what they wanted for the Duece I could've bought SEVENTEEN of my little 650's.<<

Right on, XS650's rock! fun to ride, and easy to work on. Go to www.micapeak.com and join the 650 list if you want to talk twins.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why, why, why???

Why are Americans so obsessed with HP? Seriously. Harley Davidson sells 200k bikes a year none, barring Buells and V-rods, come standard with more than 65 hp. You're welcome to correct me on the 65 hp, just a guess. HP can't be the only reason to buy a motorcycle.

MO... I just sold my Beember and I am in the market for a new bike. At this period in time, I am more interested than ever to read your reviews. Keep them coming.

I won't be buying the Volusia though... not enough horsepower. Ha ha!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey, I'm with you guys. This bike may not be something I'd buy, but it's still interesting to read about. This is Motorcycle Online, not Sportbike Online. There has to something for all of our two wheeled friends. Besides, reading about cruisers is WAAYYY better than reading about PT Cruisers.....

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Why, why, why???

If you really think about it, Americans aren't obsessed with horsepower. You mentioned how many Harley sells and the big four sell cruisers to sportbikes at 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 minimum. I think you got a skewed view of things reading the 18 to 24 year old crowd here that pretty much know everything about every motorcycle ever made, and horsepower is #1. Since I have ridden extensively and owned more bikes than I care to count, I believe one starts to value more than just a number when one experiences more than just throttle twisting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The comment "An article that will interest no one..." is extremely narrow-minded. Consider that motorcyclists and reasons for riding are just as diverse as life itself. This is an article that I've been waiting for--a test of a midsized cruiser with classic styling! That's what I ride now, except it's a bit old ('81) and I want to upgrade to something new but similar. Wading through all the m/c showrooms in town, I've found such bikes are few and far between, so I'm happy to see Suzuki address a rather undervalued (as we can see by your post) segment of us riders.

JBRiley responded: "Hmmm.... I should not have been so narrow minded."

Shari: Ok, I'll let you slide.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I totaly agree with you on this one... I was taught to ride on dirt bikes. Your legs have alot to do with control, but then again after seeing the resurection of "ape hanger" bars on harleys, I guess cruiser riders like the almost out of control feeling. Are bug guts in your arm pits a turn on to women?

1 - 20 of 179 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.