Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: SV 1000 Review???

Okay. I can probably make it through the night even though there wasn't a Concourse, SV 650 or Boss Hoss in the test, as long as there was an old generation VFR in there...

Chango

·
Registered
446 Posts

So how do they compare to the Buell?

Blast?

How do they compare to the world's largest diesel locomotive?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Didn't I read somewhere the Z1000 was a tank slapper?

Since Suzuki makes the SV650, and the SV1000 is an offshoot of that I'd say the Z1000 droped it's drawers and got it's tiny hiennie paddled.

Besides Suzuki's rock, and Kawasaki's,,well,,don't.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"Didn't I read somewhere the Z1000 was a tank slapper?"
Only if rider induced. Like any other sport bike with aggressive geometry, the Z1000 has a very slight headshake in uncommon conditions. A steering damper will fix it. Is it needed? Not for most riders with experience.

"Since Suzuki makes the SV650, and the SV1000 is an offshoot of that I'd say the Z1000 droped it's drawers and got it's tiny hiennie paddled."
Yep, that seems like sound logic.

"Besides Suzuki's rock, and Kawasaki's,,well,,don't."
A retort here would have been worth the effort had you added any sort of constructive argument to back up your statement. Otherwise I just figure you don't know what the hell you're talking about and that you were just getting tired because, afterall, tonight is a school night.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No wait, it's the Z1000, since you said "Z1000 Vs. SV1000". First is mentioned first. A Freudian slip, right? Unless you said so intentionally to throw us all off--In that case it's the SV1000. But a Sicilian would know that you are doing this, so naturally, you being smater than most Sicilians, it must be the Z1000. ;)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: SV 1000 and the VFR

Well, I have a 1998 VFR and had a chance to put a couple of hundred miles on the SV1000s. I really liked the SV, 'specially as I love the V-twin thunder and gobs of torque. The seat on the SV sucks, and the bars put a little too much lean on for my taste. However, both of these things are easy fixes. Pluses for the SV include a more flickable feel, and it's a much cooler ride in the Georgia summer heat. VFR has it beat for refinement and passenger accomodations.

Brakes, handling, etc. are close enough that I don't think I could make a call without some serious time on some real twisty roads, including time to tinker with the suspension settings. Considering the price difference, I would pick the SV for one up, the VFR for two up. However, my VFR is almost paid for. So no, I'm not going to sell it for an SV. However, it is tempting.

Vlad

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have an FZ1, and I think it doesn't compare to these 2 bikes. After all, it has good ergonomics, wind protection, power and handling while the Kawi has no wind protection, a rough power curve, and the Suzuki has the worst seat I have ever felt and a sport bike crouch for no reason at all. You could directly compare the naked SV1000 to the Z1000, but then they would probably both be less well rounded than the Speed Triple.

·
Registered
446 Posts

'Roids?

So, it's like the, um, Schwartzenegger of diesel engines, hmm?

What I really want is a nice dual-sport thumper from that monster.

Anybody for a KLR6500?

·
Registered
446 Posts
So I obviously cannot choose the bike in front of me.

And by the way...never get involved in a land war in Asia.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I do not envy you the headache you will have when you are done reading this comparo. But, in the meantime, sleep well, and dream of large motors.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Actually, except for a little off-idle softness, the power curve on the Zed is very smooth and predictable. A PC with a remapping has fixed that condition for those who've done the mod, but even so, not a lot of riders spend a lot of time there.

You're right about the FZ1 not comparing to these bikes--there's a lot of fine differences within this category of bikes, as with any other category these days. I figured that they would be comparing the non-S version of the SV to the Zed. The S-3 would be a great addition for the comparo, but it looks like they wanted to just focus on the Japanese makes, and that both models are new, whereas the Triple has had years of refinement.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.