Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: What do you think?

I get the grief and anger parts, but I can't say I feel guilty ( I vote libertarian anyway.) The fact is that there are a billion or so people out there who want us dead, and want our way of life to go the way of the dodo. I was not convinced, and remain unconvinced that invading Iraq was the way to address that, however, I am convinced that it does need to be addressed. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any good suggestions from either side of the aisle. Now that we are there though, it only becomes another Vietnam if we split before the job is finished.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I can't bring myself to feel guilty because of things I had absolutely no control over, and that includes this country's foreign policy for the last 100 years. Now that we are already "entangled," (i.e. they already want to kill us) the problem is ours. Do we let them kill us because they have some justification for feeling that ? And given where we find ourselves now, does saying "Oops, we'll just make our exit now if you don't mind. Good luck," fix the problem or make it worse?

I'm not saying I know the answer to the second of those questions, (I hope the answer to the first one is obvious) but I know it needs to be considered before we just cut and run. Unless we can guarantee the continuing safety of, at a minimum, the citizens of the US, the problem remains regardless of whether we have a continuing military presence in Iraq or Afganistan. Short of a weapon proof dome over the US and a complete lack of civil liberties under it, the problem isn't going away unless our enemies go away, which doesn't seem likely at this point. Check global birth rates by nation and religion.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

What I was trying to point out is that we need to consider our course of action based on the way things are (we are already there) not the way we wish things were (we never got involved.) And believe me I agree that we never should have been there in the first place. But I think it possible that if we just withdraw wholesale now, things will be a hell of a lot worse for both the US and the citizens of these countries than if we try to establish some stability. This if true would compound our error, to everyone's detriment. Note I said possible. I don't think anyone knows for certain, but I haven't heard discussion of this possibility by any advocates of withdrawal, only by Cheney and his sock puppet, and I know what they want.

Your post implies that you believe that the US government is purposely prolonging the elimination of Al Quaeda. I'll bet you also believe the administration was responsible for 9/11.

You implied previously that our enemies are justified in wanting to kill us because of our country's meddling in their affairs. What do you think "level(ing) Waziristan" would justify?

With respect to the deployment of all of our troops within our borders, that would guarantee the complete loss of civil liberties I referred to. Trading liberty for security usually results in having neither. Pretty soon we'd have tiered licensing and helmet laws.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.