Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Article says he has a bike. I just want to know where he found a "Harley" that passes people going 120 like they're standing still.

Looks like the bike in the picture is a Buell.

·
Registered
11,482 Posts
Speedo error.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Re: What do you think?

I too vote libertarian, but I still feel guilty that my country has become the worlds hegemon. Our forefathers had it right when they espoused a policy of no foreign entanglements. I'm reasonably certain that the vast majority of those billion people are unhappy with us for mucking around in their national affairs.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Does anyone out there but me miss CW's Tour & Travel Mag edited by Beau Allen Pacheo (sp??).

Couple of years back, he wrote about taking his brother - fresh back from Iraq - on a bike trip to decompress and start the long road back to what passes for normalcy. Probably the best article ever in CW's Tour/Travel Magazine.

1st choice as self therapy: long motorcycle ride.

2ed choice as self therapy: go home and do a "THO" type project with the SWMBO and spoor.

3rd choice as self therapy: "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy". Not really - just looking for a place to work in the title of an old song by...NRBQ? Heck, I fergit anyway.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You think so, huh?

Is that way LBJ didn't run in '68? And why Lieberman lost the Democratic primary last year? Your argument makes no sense and has no basis in fact. (sorry if I sound like you-know-who)

Even a majority of Republicans are now opposed to this war. It's not a liberal/conservative issue anymore. Thank God!

·
Registered
720 Posts
Kind of...

That's sort of what I'm saying, but not 100%. It's one thing to support a policy like free trade or wetlands protection, but supporting a war that you don't want to fight in yourself (if you are able to do so) is morally reprehensible; if you don't want to fight in that war, and nobody else does (and believe me, although there are plenty of hard-core folks in the military that really believe in what they're doing in Iraq and Afghanistan, the majority DO NOT and just want to survive long enough to go home) that reflects a selfish lack of character that I find repugnant.

If it's important enough for somebody else to die for, you should be willing to die for it yourself. We've fought wars like that. This is not one of them, and it never was from the word go. I have yet to see a shred of evidence to the contrary

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I can't bring myself to feel guilty because of things I had absolutely no control over, and that includes this country's foreign policy for the last 100 years. Now that we are already "entangled," (i.e. they already want to kill us) the problem is ours. Do we let them kill us because they have some justification for feeling that ? And given where we find ourselves now, does saying "Oops, we'll just make our exit now if you don't mind. Good luck," fix the problem or make it worse?

I'm not saying I know the answer to the second of those questions, (I hope the answer to the first one is obvious) but I know it needs to be considered before we just cut and run. Unless we can guarantee the continuing safety of, at a minimum, the citizens of the US, the problem remains regardless of whether we have a continuing military presence in Iraq or Afganistan. Short of a weapon proof dome over the US and a complete lack of civil liberties under it, the problem isn't going away unless our enemies go away, which doesn't seem likely at this point. Check global birth rates by nation and religion.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

What exactly does our continued presence in Iraq have to do with our national security, or the so called war on terror? The US spends more money on "defense than all of the other countries in the world combined. Is it possible that we might "guarantee the continuing safety of, at a minimum, the citizens of the US" if we deploy most of our vast military in our own country? Let's not even get started on the bungling going on in Afghanistan. If the US was really interested in riding the world of the Al Queda leadership we would have already leveled Waziristan, but then "our" (sic) government would have to find a new hobgoblin to frighten the masses into submission with. Wouldn’t they?

·
Registered
720 Posts

Man! Did you get grudge-holding lessons from my wife, or what?

Honestly, being called outside the mainstream of political thought of Americans is a compliment, in my mind. Look at the pack of pimps, sycophants and morons they sent to Washington DC and all the state capitols. What's even more amazing is how we got involved in a war nobody besides ten or 15 neoconservative zealots wanted. Historians will be looking at this one a long, long time after the VA sends out its last disability check in 80 years.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

What I was trying to point out is that we need to consider our course of action based on the way things are (we are already there) not the way we wish things were (we never got involved.) And believe me I agree that we never should have been there in the first place. But I think it possible that if we just withdraw wholesale now, things will be a hell of a lot worse for both the US and the citizens of these countries than if we try to establish some stability. This if true would compound our error, to everyone's detriment. Note I said possible. I don't think anyone knows for certain, but I haven't heard discussion of this possibility by any advocates of withdrawal, only by Cheney and his sock puppet, and I know what they want.

Your post implies that you believe that the US government is purposely prolonging the elimination of Al Quaeda. I'll bet you also believe the administration was responsible for 9/11.

You implied previously that our enemies are justified in wanting to kill us because of our country's meddling in their affairs. What do you think "level(ing) Waziristan" would justify?

With respect to the deployment of all of our troops within our borders, that would guarantee the complete loss of civil liberties I referred to. Trading liberty for security usually results in having neither. Pretty soon we'd have tiered licensing and helmet laws.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

The next time we think we need to get ourselves into a war, I hope we spend a little time thinking about this guy and several thousand others. I feel like we just sort of drifted into Iraq without really being done in Afghanistan, and I was surprised at how little actual discussion there was. Maybe it's because those folks are all volunteers now, but we seem to be a little more cavalier about putting them in harms way than we used to be.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Re: You think so, huh?

We got the Serbs to quit killing the Bosnians and anyone else they could get at didn't we? And I don't think we lost a single American life. If we are going to intervene somewhere, that could be a model for how to do it, IMHO.

We shouldn't have had to do it of course, but the wussy-assed Europeans just stood around and wrung their hands worrying about irritating the Russians. When you start putting 'boots on the ground', you need to know that some of the owners of those boots ain't coming home, and the ones that do are going to be changed by the experience. All that's left for us to do in Iraq now is try to minimize the damage to our own interests. Iraq is not a real country, and hasn't been for several thousand years. They hate each other, and we've put ourselves in the middle.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

The thing about Vietnam was that it was fought in the belief that a communist victory there would lead to a Domino Effect, and all of Southeast Asia would go communist. So we spent 58000 lives trying to prevent something that didn't happen anyway.

I am not so sure we will be so lucky in Iraq. By taking out Hussain, we left the Iranians with no one to restrain them. Even if they had a less belligerant President, it's pretty obvious to folks in the Middle East that we have to go home sooner or later, and the Iranians will still be there. Syria is Baathist, and Turkey probably won't allow an independant Kurdistan. That's exactly why George Senior left Hussain in power. We may not be able to walk away from this without seeing everyone from Somalia to Pakistan going fundamentalist. Some of them are pretty close now. Good job, dubya.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Kinda along the same lines is the OTHER Ghost Rider, the book written by Neal Perth, drummer for Rush. He lost his wife (to cancer I believe) and took a year riding around, from Mexico to Alaska.

I think he's a little full of himself sometimes, but he does a pretty good job explaining how a long motorcycle trip can be healing.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: Kind of...

I think you would find it funny that the vast majority of the US was against fighting WWII at all. Something like 70% to 30% against. Thank God for the Japanese, eh? I hate to say this, but the war in the Middle East was inevitable. We could either fight it now, or fight it 20 years from now, but it WILL have been fought. Anyone that thinks differently, doesn't have their eyes open too wide. We were at war LONG before we invaded Iraq. I don't think anyone would even question that.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

"That's exactly why George Senior left Hussain in power."

I have to disagree. He left him in power because the UN pulled the plug on him. Senior would have loved to take him out. Do you think Junior went against his father's advice (which you know he got) before he went into Iraq? Not a chance. The old man was cheering him on from the sidelines.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

In case you didn't notice Gabe I was being facetious. I am in an absolute and complete agreement with you on this one. Sorry to hear about the problems with your wife. Best regards, Van

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

Actually I do believe that this administration as well as some previous administrations are complicit in the events of 9/11. I personally do not trust "our" (sic) government's machinations anymore than I trust those of Osama Bin Ladin's. I believe that the current administration as well as the past several is capable of the most Machiavellian maneuvers to accomplish their desired objectives, tiered licensing and helmet laws included.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

There is a story, and I can't remember where I read it, that says he saw the carnage along that road leading out of Kuwait and said something to the effect that the shooting gallery was going to be shut down. We probably all now wish he had gone a teensy bit further in, maybe, decimating the Republican Guards a bit more, but Senior had actually seen what war did to Human Beings, and put a stop to it. Maybe it's not true, but if it is, it's one of those few times we see what really is inside of one of our Presidents. I like to think that they somehow rise to the occasion, but I know that ain't always true.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.