Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1958 Cushman Motors of Lincoln Nebraska shocked the scooter world when they released the "Super Eagle", a hopped up version of the standard Eagle that sported big valves, a ram induction intake manifold (1 inch longer than stock) 1/4 inch larger Tillotson M52 carb, high lift long duration camshaft and a compression ratio of 10.1 that required a kickstart actuated compression release, to crank over the flathead mill.

The Cushman ran a precision motor that used an oil pump for the connecting rod, and diesel type piston cooler that squirted a jet of oil on the underside of the piston at TDC. The crankshaft mains ran on oversized tapered roller bearings, with the rest of the motor being splash lubricated. A special low restriction exhaust manifold made from aluminum and finned for heat dissipation labeled the motor as a Super Eagle powerplant.

1958 Super Eagle. Note exhaust manifold and compression release.

Styling changed to too, with Cushman deciding to mimic Detroit with a futuristic body and exhaust cutouts for the dual-exhaust option. The bike weighed in at 216 lbs, and produced 8 horsepower at 5500 rpm. Top speed for a Super Eagle running 21/38 gearing was 60 mph. A two-speed sliding gear transmission was suicide operated, and ran from a belt driven primary. Performance increased greatly when the stock centrifugal clutch was dumped in favor of the manual "Truckster" unit.

I owned a '58 Super Eagle and use to ride it to work from Glendale California to El Segundo every day for about 6 months. It would cruise on the Harbor Freeway at an indicated 50-55 mph. Harley riders would do a double take and then wave. Neat little bike.

1953 Standard Eagle with chain driven primary and barrel spring front forks

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Nice, Cuddy. On one of those you'd totally 'out cool' that CBR1000. Poseurs of all stripes would have to hang their heads in shame.

Now if only I could find one of those Mustangs like my uncle used to have...... back in the Stone Age......

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One time I was riding my Super Eagle to work, and I was wearing a scroaty "classic biker" leather jacket, with cuffed jeans & engineer boots. This was the pre-helmet law days, and I had to stop in Culver City for some gas. As I was tanking up with hi-test 76 leaded premium several Angels pulled into the gas station and started topping off their hogs. One look at me and they didn't know weather to shi* or go blind. As I cranked over the Eagle (was running a loud megaphone exhaust)and dropped it into low gear with the tank shift, one of the Angels flipped me the bird and mouthed "RIGHT ON BRO." They followed me down Jefferson Blvd. to Sepulveda, and at a stop light one guy leaned over and said "That thing's pretty fast...!" And ya know what? With all the flywheel weight & a crankshaft mounted clutch that was as big as Pinto clutch, it was pretty quick. I could speed shift into second and get a little "chirp" if I leaned forward enough. I had about six or seven Cushmans or one type or another, even the "Airborne" with a sidecar. They were quite the machine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.