Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think what you've identified, John, is the difference in how motorcycles (and, hence, motorcyclists) are perceived in America versus the rest of the world. In Spain, what you observed will be talked about in the context of, "Did you hear what Sergio did last week? He split his head open again." In the United States, the headlines would read, "Youth Dies in Dangerous Motorcycle Stunt!"

Only when motorcycles are accepted as valid transportation will motorcyclists be accepted as well. Think about it: thirty years ago only cowboys, construction workers and hunters bought trucks and those folks were as much in the fringe as the bikers. Now, in the guise of SUVs, manufacturers can't build enough trucks for the American market and those vehicles have not only been mainstreamed but have attained a certain cachet. That is why the "Guardians" lecture you so incessantly: they don't want to be outlaws, they just want to ride their bikes.

As far as the media is concerned, all journalists are biased because all humans are biased and journalists, contrary to popular belief, do happen to be human. As far as I'm concerned, I intend to let my "Motorcyclist" subscription lapse since I don't find it terribly interesting anymore and will use the proceeds to help fund spare parts for the Jagrolet or the yacht or whatever it is you currently own that happens to be in a state of disrepair...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts