Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ding, Ding, Ding. You win the prize, finally the most succinct and correct comment of the day. I don't subscribe to Motorcyclist anymore either, and it might soon be this site too. Johnny's ramblings might be a bit funny, but are just as irrelevant and lacking of anything but sound bites meant to insight the masses, and it always works. Meanwhile the content has nothing to do with motorcycles, cycle news, or anything else of interest.

I don't mind a little humor, rant, or dig in the articles, but entire articles specifically designed to just get everybody going are childish and not what I'm paying a subscription price for. What I want are up to date news and reviews. Johnny has definitely been in Kalifornia too long and thinks his position of power and fame (whatever that may be) gives him the right to rant at us or with us in the same vein that Hollywood stars think we want to listen to their stupid political views just because they can get face time via the media.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish me go to college.

"...liberal media bias. It exists in some of your finer media outlets, I think, because the people who work at those outlets have to be college graduates."

No, it exists because that is what sells right now. That's why some Phi Beta Kappa thought it was a brilliant idea to give Rosie O'Donnell her own magazine. Brilliant.

Very soon it will swing back the other way and we will have belligrent right wing nitwits

running the media.

I'll be pissed about that too.

I'll also be pissed about the fact that I have a Bandit1200S and haven't got the balls to attempt a wheelie.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Having been in the same position, I can second the observation that, more often than you really want to know, reporters get critical facts wrong. Also, there is usually an editorial slant to any publication--an editor runs it and hires people who support his/her views so that when they write, they write with an inherent bias. And it can be as subtle as objective reporting that: So and so claimed that, "blah blah." v. So and so said that, "blah blah." Simply using the word 'claimed' casts doubt in the mind of the reader that what was stated is true; whereas using the word 'said' might incline the reader to regard what was said as true. There's a million things like that, where something is "objectively" reported, yet is slanted one way or another.

Or, bias can be as blatant as an outright bribe: Witness JB trashing the Duc 900ss in a comparo with the Buell where the Buell is the gosh-golly-gee new bike that they got to test and publish first v. JB on a Duc press junket in warm foreign climes raving on about how good the new 1000ds is. Bias? Nah...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Wow did you actually forget about your penis long enough (no pun intended) to actually write this article ? Hey go check out the new harley 883 the black and orange thing has a tank emblem in the shape of a penis , with a rider aboard it's pretty comical. Did Willie G disign that one. HA HA HA ! Hey Harley I think you need a quality assurance engineer in your stlying Dept. While we are talking about penis why don't you all blow me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Media bias? Duh- everyone is biased. There is no middle ground. Real democracy consists of a shoving match, shouting and occasional fisticuffs too. Get over it. Pick a side, be loud do wheelies etc. you got that part right.

I like Rush- but he is a little too liberal for me...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Burns, man, if you want to write about national politics, submit something to Salon.com. If you want to write about inter-office politics, resist the temptation. They can be juicy and entertaining, but they're out of place here. You were in the Army, so I'll put it in military terms: stick to the motorcycle.com mission--motorcycles. As far as your Motorcyclist experience goes, the best revenge is doing well.

You've got a chance here with Motorcycle.com to do very well. You can help build something great: an online bike mag for adults. A Cycle for the 21st century.

When I was 13, learning to ride on my dad's Honda step-through 90, I was reading Phil Schilling's Cycle magazine. It was a beatifully-written, beautifully-photographed, well-laid-out magazine that always had something intelligent to say about bikes and the folks who ride them.

Since it was canned in '91, nothing's come along to take it's place. Cycle World has retained it's adolescent look and feel: my wife calls it "Teen Beat" for bikes. Motorcyclist isn't much different. The only mag comparable to the old Cycle's quality is Bike, a Brit mag sold at Barnes & Noble. B&N is selling a TON of 'em, because people like it's slick layout, great photography, and thoughtful, intelligent writing.

Motorcycle.com can go beyond both the old Cycle and Bike because it's not constrained by the limitations of print. You can publish daily. You've got unlimited space. And you can include interactive features like this forum. But first I'd like to see in motorcycle.com the things that made Cycle so good: great technical articles, interesting travel pieces, and a slick layout.

Let's face it: the layout of this site sucks. The look is amateurish and navigation is confusing.
The site needs more "meat"--the sort of opinion and news you see on motorcycledaily.com. So instead of spending time and energy fighting political and internecine battles, spend them building an excellent online bike mag for adults. Go to it, brother--we Bike and motorcycle.com readers will help.

Best regards,

Chris Charuhas

[email protected]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wish you would have posted this two weeks ago BEFORE I gave you my credit card. I would not have done it. Stick to writing about Motorcycles.

When it comes to Politics, you haven't a clue...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Being a Libertarian, I identify with JPB's rants,in fact I'm being treated for them now. I was once annoyed with Burns when he trashed the ZX-12(which I had just bought), but after fiddling with it for a year and then trading it for a Ducati I had to admit that He was spot on. I'll buy whichever Mag Burns or Egan writes for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I wanted to listen to some bitter ***** spewing endless tiresome vitriol about her evil ex I'd watch Oprah... why it is that every subject seems somehow to wind up being about him... get over it babe, move on, it's over already.

·
Registered
148 Posts
More Rider, Less Bike

Bike is a good read, but Bike's sister publication Ride is even better, if you can find it. As the name suggests, they focus more on the people, gear, and activity than on the hardware. Not that the hardware is forgotten. They even do reviews and informative pieces on older bikes. How to ge the most from what you have, not buy a new bike before the first major service on your old one.

As I and others have pointed out, we ride daily or weekly, buy moto-related stuff monthly, but buy a new (or new to us) bike only every few years.

As Charuhas pointed out, you could use a bit more meat here. I know you have limits due to your small staff. One suggestion, how about logs or journals of the bikes in your company and private fleets. When you make a modification to your bike, tell us about it: how did it go, are you happy with it, etc. What problems come up with your bikes and how do you fix them? As moto-journalists, you are much more proficient at living with motorcycles than us readers (or else why am I reading this) so save us reinventing the wheel and pass on your acquired knowledge.

I'm a regular reader, but I don't even know what all of the MO staff's daily rides are.

Steve Sykes

·
Registered
640 Posts
I want to read about motorcycles. Specifically I'd like to read about maintenance ease, build quality and durability, riding impressions, and horse power and torque curves. I'd like to know how hard it is to get the back wheel off or get at the oil filter. I really don't care about fueds with old employers.

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
For once I have to agree 100% with JB, at least as far as his evaluation of the general public's view of bikers goes. These people will never accept us. Riding a motorcycle represents freedom and non-conformity. These are values that are given much lipservice but in reality are detested by the mainstream. Most people want security first and are wiling to sell any number of neighbors down the river to achieve such.

But JB, leave out the political crap. I know you believe that it is only conservatives that "play politics" and that liberals are "right". But, trust me. Neither one is any better than the other. Or haven't you noticed the libs (including the media) and cons both rushing headlong to approve the Homeland Police State... er I mean Security Act?

·
Registered
473 Posts
good stuff, JB ....

i enjoy reading your rants, but i have to agree that potshots at competitors is prolly inappropriate. granted boehm recently took an indirect potshot at MO, but he didn't go so far as to point a finger.

·
Registered
145 Posts
HAW! LOL! I happened to buy the current Mo'cyclist last night, and read Mitchie's whining about left-lane hogs...um, so how is this news? Hell-LOW!!! in the 32 years I've been driving US highways, I can't EVER remember a time when ther was good lane discipline in general...

...and learning that Mitch used to listen to Rush Limbaugh, well, in the words of Shrek "That explains a lot!" Ican remember the haughty disparagement of CW he'd editorialized about when CW published the article about stunting competitions...LOL!

Mr Burns, I 'd always wondered why you bailed on MC, but now I understand...

see you on TV tonight! please forwad the autographed foto to my e-mail ;-)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ayn and the Art of Motorcycle Legislation

The common good of a collective - a race, a class, a state - was the claim and justification of every tyranny ever established over motorcylists. Every helmet law in our history was created in the name of an altruistic motive. Has any act of hooliganism ever equaled the carnage perpetrated by disciples of altruism? Does the fault lie in men's hypocrisy or in the nature of the principle? The most dreadful butchers were the most sincere. They believed in the perfect society reached through the guillotine and the firing squad. Nobody questioned their right to murder since they were murdering for an altruistic purpose. It was accepted that men must be sacrificed for other men. Actors change, but the course of the tragedy remains the same. A humanitarian who starts with declarations of love for hooligans and ends with a sea of laws. It goes on and will go on so long as men believe that an action is good if it is unselfish. That permits the altruist to act and forces his victims to bear it. The leaders of collective movements ask nothing for themselves. But observe the results.

The only good which men can do to one another and the only statement of their proper relationship is - Hands off!

Now observe the results of a society built on the principle of hooliganism. This, our country. The noblest country in the history of men. The country of greatest achievement, greatest prosperity, greatest freedom. This country was not based on selfless service, sacrifice, renunciation or any precept of altruism. It was based on a man's right to the pursuit of hooliganism. His own hooliganism. Not anyone else's. A private, personal, selfish motive. Look at the results. Look into your own conscience.

It is an ancient conflict. Men have come close to the truth, but it was destroyed each time and one civilization fell after another. Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy, it is the process of setting man free from men. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Now, in our age, collectivism, the rule of the second-hander and second-rater, the ancient monster, has broken loose and is running amuck. It has brought men to a level of intellectual indecency never equaled on earth. It has reached a scale of horror without precedent. It has poisoned every mind. It has swallowed most of Europe. It is engulfing our country.

I am a hooligan. I know what is to come by the principle on which it is built. We are approaching a world in which I cannot permit myself to ride.

21 - 40 of 142 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.