Motorcycle Forums banner

The American Culture of Motorcycle Safety

12K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  The_AirHawk 
All I can think of is Bertrand Russell, "One should respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."

Mind your own business.

Those are few and far between examples. I could slip and fall and kill myself getting out of bed, but it just doesn't happen that often, so I don't wear my helmet to bed. I look at it this way, if you are really worried about geting hurt, take up golf. Don't ride a motorcycle. Complete safety is nowhere to be found if I use your examples, because there are thousands of dead guys that got killed with full gear on, so I guess it really doesn't matter what you wear after all.
I think wearing the gear is a great idea. I just don't think it's anyone else's business. Not yours. Not the Govt's. Not Trent's. Not anybody's. These "studies"are always just excuses to interfere in your life.

I think it's a good idea too, but an unskilled moron is 100 times more likely to get killed or injured no matter what they are wearing. The really skilled and careful will rarely need their gear. I don't worry about it all that much. Government 'do gooders' scare me 100 times more than any car or 18 wheeler. I can avoid the vehicles. I don't think we can avoid the legislative a$$wipes.
There just ain't no end to doin' good.

I didn't call him stupid. I called their government stupid, as a collective. I did not mean him personally. I did it because when 'common sense' laws start appearing, it IS stupid. People only like laws they personally agree with, and never figure out that the wonderful Gov will get around to making laws you don't agree with.
I stand by Bertrand Russell. "Friendly" tyranny is still tyranny. The nannies never stop until they regulate everything. But apparently you aren't allowed to call someone a tyrant when they put on a big public show of doing it for your own good. It's considered impolite.

Since the govt can walk into your house and take your kids from you without provable cause or warrant we have already gone waaaay past the point of "common sense" laws. I am not making this up. The Child Agencies of almost all US States have the power to take your kids from you at the whim of a case worker. No evidence or warrant needed. Is this "common sense"?

Go back to sleep, slaves. Or watch "American Idol". Or vote republicrat. There is no difference between those three conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.