Motorcycle Forums banner

The American Culture of Motorcycle Safety

12K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  The_AirHawk 
This whole article talks about clothing and helmets. What about the bike itself? If safety and responsibility are really the issues, then why would anyone need a 175 horsepower bike that can top 190 mph? How about making sure each bike only has about 50 horsepower, which is more than enough, and speed limited to 100 mph? I bet that proposal won't go over big!

"If you want to achieve motorcycle safety and get the best bang for your bucks, spend your money on training. A well trained rider is going to:"

Not fall down and not hit things. After that, it doesn't matter what they wear. Safety is between the ears.

Because riders are not on the road alone, they can be hit by others, even if they are cautious and following all the rules of the road. (For example, you can be hit from behind.) So it does matter what you wear, and safety is not just between the ears.
Those are few and far between examples. I could slip and fall and kill myself getting out of bed, but it just doesn't happen that often, so I don't wear my helmet to bed. I look at it this way, if you are really worried about geting hurt, take up golf. Don't ride a motorcycle. Complete safety is nowhere to be found if I use your examples, because there are thousands of dead guys that got killed with full gear on, so I guess it really doesn't matter what you wear after all.

I think wearing the gear is a great idea. I just don't think it's anyone else's business. Not yours. Not the Govt's. Not Trent's. Not anybody's. These "studies"are always just excuses to interfere in your life.
I think it's a good idea too, but an unskilled moron is 100 times more likely to get killed or injured no matter what they are wearing. The really skilled and careful will rarely need their gear. I don't worry about it all that much. Government 'do gooders' scare me 100 times more than any car or 18 wheeler. I can avoid the vehicles. I don't think we can avoid the legislative a$$wipes.

"Seriously, I assure you we have not fallen apart and gone communist over it, it's just common sense."

Seriously, yes you have gone communist and a bit stupid as well. When the government of any country starts to make laws 'for your own good', then it has gone the way of the nanny state. I don't need anyone to tell me what is good for me. If you do, then stay in Australia where you can be ruled by many more 'common sense' laws.

I didn't call him stupid. I called their government stupid, as a collective. I did not mean him personally. I did it because when 'common sense' laws start appearing, it IS stupid. People only like laws they personally agree with, and never figure out that the wonderful Gov will get around to making laws you don't agree with.

"The Child Agencies of almost all US States have the power to take your kids from you at the whim of a case worker. No evidence or warrant needed. Is this "common sense"?"

You are correct on this. I know someone it happened to!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.