Motorcycle Forums banner

The American Culture of Motorcycle Safety

12K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  The_AirHawk 
I think you pays yer money and you takes yer chances. It's not like the old days when the only safety gear was a jean jacket and helmet, there's a plethora of choices now from armored mesh gear to full leather racing suits custom made to fit you available. It's up to the individual rider to chose the level of protection he or she is comfortable with.

My own choice is more weather driven than anything else and I prefer to ride geared up as much as possible, however if I'm going to be sweating like a horse to go for a nice ride around it takes away the fun, in those situations I'll wear jeans or even shorts and a shirt.

Not the safest choice? no I suppose it isn't. I always wear a helmet boots and gloves though, a good knock on the head could turn me into a cabbage, road rash on the palms of your hands means you can even wipe your own back side and your feet have a jillion tiny bones that all have to work together or you're a gimp. Yes road rash hurts, sweat is easier to wash off than blood and most accidents occure close to home....very well, on those occasions I chose not to gear up that's a risk I'll take. Around here the weather is cool enough most of the year that it's no problem to ride ATGATT, for the few short months it's not, well I just hope for the best and rely on my skill, my bikes braking and handleing and the grace of the goddess to keep me out of trouble

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.