Motorcycle Forums banner

The American Culture of Motorcycle Safety

12K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  The_AirHawk 
The article talked about a plan to spend $3 to $5 million for another "Hurt" type motorcycle safety study, but they realized the funding really needed to be more than double that to achieve a meaningful result.

If you want to achieve motorcycle safety and get the best bang for your bucks, spend your money on training. A well trained rider is going to:

A) make better decisions on what to wear safety wise
B) make a better decision on which bike to get
C) avoid a lot of the stupid "noob" accidents that make up the majority of bike accidents
D) influence the people they ride with in a positive way

Because we like freedom and we have 50 states, each with their own laws, rider training gives everyone a baseline to start from without having to enforce intrusive legislation, either on the riders or the manufacturers. I'd like to be able to choose to pull my helmet off on A1A early Sunday am., and put it back on for the ride back down the coast on I-95 later in the day. Likewise it would be nice to have a RR bike to ride to the track for the occasional high speed ride and something more practical for the commute.

You can't bolt on skill, and there is no substitute for experience, but you can move people along on both fronts with quality training.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.