Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the 1970's Gary Jones was a champion, racing under the Team Jones banner with his brother DeWayne, and father Don Jones as manager, Gary had won national championships on Yamahas, Hondas and Can Ams.

In 1975 Gary injured his leg, and Can Am bought out his contract for $70,000.00. Without a ride, and spurred on by the un-sinkable Don Jones, the Jones family purchased the entire on-the-ropes Moto-Islo motorcycle factory in Mexico, from Frank Cooper.

Under Mexican law, 68% of the motorcycle had to built of Mexican sourced parts, So Jones sourced the other 32% out to the leading aftermarket companies of the time, Sun Rims, Diamond Chains, Mikuni Carbs, etc. and in the process produced a trick 250cc MX bike.

Jones had turned his attention to the Cooper Enduro bikes that Frank Cooper had built, using Italian and German (Sachs) motors, in Mexican Moto-Islo frames, that were based on the geometry of a Maico. A few Cooper parts were laying around the factory, and Jones decided to base the prototype new bike on that design. Papa Jones brought chrome moly tubing, and blocks of high grade steel down to Mexico in his Motor Home, for the Mexican workers to use in building the new racer, instead of the pot-metal crankshafts and water-pipe frames that Moto-Islo was known for. You don't see Mexican steel on the Space Shuttle.

In 1976 the AMMEX was born, and it was pretty damn trick. With a Maico side-plate slotted transmission, a dual-use kickstarter/shift shaft from a CZ, and a Yamaha YZ250 top end, the bike was fast. That, along with Zokes' on the front, and Betor shocks on the back, made the bike a handler, and placed Jones in the top ranks of the '76 season. Reliability issues cause a few DNFs, but the axe fell on AMMEX when the Peso got devalued at the end of 1976, and AMMEX was suddenly worth only 10% of its original value. Gary Jones lost his shirt, and within a few months AMMEX (and Islo) shut it's doors

Damn amazng when you think about it. Can you imagine a privateer now days buying a motorcycle factory, just to have a ride? Honda snapped up the Islo name in 1983, and produced Trail 90's under the Islo brand for a year or so, and that was it. Honda closed the factory for good in 1984.


1976 Ammex 250. Looks like a CZ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Owner, AMMEX 250, Jones Islo "1979"

I currently own a 1979 AMMEX, Jones Islo 250 MX. All the original paper work says 1979, Shipping Bill of lading, Bill of Sales from the original Dealer... I'm looking for a bone yard ready (scrap metal) AMMEX. I need a few parts. My 1974 Cooper 250 Moto Islo parts though close,are not exact, (Yes I own a Cooper as well) I ride the AMMEX often and I can tell you even by today's standards this thing IS a ride to be enjoyed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1 Posts
xanax price Whitten

Sorry for selection category to leave a speech for men about ritalin and xanax
xanax 2mg New Haven and drug test for xanax buy xanax bars Weyers Cave alieniaft: If you are sensitive to or have ever had an allergic reaction to Xanax or other tranquilizers, you should not take this medication. Also avoid Xanax while taking the antifungal drugs. Make sure that your doctor is aware of any drug reactions that you have experienced. Recommend: drug screen xanax Portugal
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top