Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original Article:
The Big Chill

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article The Big Chill in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
That ain't nothin...

Try riding a 1970 CB100 from NAS Oceana (Virginia Beach) to Pier 9 in Norfolk on the I61 Expressway in white-out blizzard conditions. I looked like an snowman, with my Bell 120 packed with sleet.

It was either that or miss ships movement. And when we got back from Gitmo, there was my lil' white CB100 waitin' for me, chained to the gdunk machines in the parking lot. Ahh, the sea stories never stop.

Then there was this time I was in Rosie Roads and some girl riding a donkey tried to bum some change off me and well, heh heh..I jes....

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
After a long scientific study I have developed a solution for the running-out-of-gas problem. I always carry half litre plastic flask of Estonian Saarenmaa heavy duty 80% alc vodka with me. I reckon its strong enough for the Harley to run an extra 40 kms. As a real multi-purpose tool it works wonderfully in all the other awkward situations too.

- cruiz-euro

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
There's a fine line between being adventurous and being a Darwin Award Contestant. Fortunately no one got killed so I guess we can give them the benefit of the doubt.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
After a long scientific study I have developed a solution for the running-out-of-gas problem. I always carry half litre plastic flask of Estonian Saarenmaa heavy duty 80% alc vodka with me. I reckon its strong enough for the Harley to run an extra 40 kms. As a real multi-purpose tool it works wonderfully in all the other awkward situations too.

- cruiz-euro
The only problem is that if you use the Saarenmaa for other awkward situations instead as spare fuel you are likely to wake up at some completely unknown destination.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try riding a 1970 CB100 from NAS Oceana (Virginia Beach) to Pier 9 in Norfolk on the I61 Expressway in white-out blizzard conditions. I looked like an snowman, with my Bell 120 packed with sleet.

It was either that or miss ships movement. And when we got back from Gitmo, there was my lil' white CB100 waitin' for me, chained to the gdunk machines in the parking lot. Ahh, the sea stories never stop.

Then there was this time I was in Rosie Roads and some girl riding a donkey tried to bum some change off me and well, heh heh..I jes....
Sounds like a nice, bone-chilling ride right before your "fun in the sun". (BTW, hats off to you and your fellow servicemen. The Lord bless each and every one of you.) You're right that here in GA, SC, and AL the snow is nothing, but the snow melting during the day and refreezing on the road at night is a whole 'nother matter. I've driven (not ridden) at nearly 50 mph in near-blizzard conditions in Spokane and was in no danger of sliding, but that same speed would be suicidal on the roads around here tonight: there's no snow on them, but there are plenty of sheets of ice and lots of trees to hit.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
There's a fine line between being adventurous and being a Darwin Award Contestant. Fortunately no one got killed so I guess we can give them the benefit of the doubt.
If you really think about it getting hurt or killed IS the line. If you do something stupid, and come out the other end, you are adventrous and a 'risk taker'. If you get hurt, or killed doing it, you are a moron, or better yet, a Darwin Award Candidate. Funny how that works ain't it?

·
Registered
170 Posts
talk about ill prepared

riding year 'round in chicago and DC has taught me a couple things: Gerbings are worth their weight in golden warmth, typical winter MC gloves are worth bupkis below 40F. I rode my air-cooled I4 bikes in the teens and single digits and they were great. The SV doesn't like snowy conditions - blasted front cylinder likes to quit. Oh, hypothermia is not something to dismiss casually. 9 deg F at speed for more than an hour was only barely doable with the heat on Max.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Preparations

Cover most of the radiators, put on the winter fairing extensions, get some grip heaters and a two-piece snow-mobile suit and you'll be able to ride year-round (unless the roads are icy.) I've ridden in 18° every year without any problems and it saves me a ton of gas money (40 mpg vs 14 for my truck.)

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Cover most of the radiators, put on the winter fairing extensions, get some grip heaters and a two-piece snow-mobile suit and you'll be able to ride year-round (unless the roads are icy.) I've ridden in 18° every year without any problems and it saves me a ton of gas money (40 mpg vs 14 for my truck.)
Well, it is -4 again here today and the roads are icy. Between this and the snow and salt for the last two months, I'd say you can forget the 'ride year-round' theory. Nice effort though.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Well, it is -4 again here today and the roads are icy. Between this and the snow and salt for the last two months, I'd say you can forget the 'ride year-round' theory. Nice effort though.
Pretty much since December the roads around here have been sporting patches of ice to a greater or lesser degree. Mostly greater. Riding bikes in this shyt is not adventurous, it's pure Darwin Award candidacy.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
teens and low twenties with mid thirties for a high all this week. I've got a cold anyway but I still don't ride below freezing very often, just not worth the risk to me anymore. I've got caught out and snowed on a couple of times and it's just no fun, same as ice. If I'm going to be snow plowing or dealing with intense cold and ice I'm going to do it safe and sound in my gas guzzeling SUV

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
The one with the 'No War for Oil' sticker on it, right? :-D
I saw a late model Land Cruiser with "No oil for war" and "Land developers burn in hell" stickers in the back window parked in a surburban development a few months back. We live in an irony-free zone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.