Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Cha-Ching

We're approching a down payment on a bike here...

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
179 Posts
Rather surprised that no fabric specifications were provided in the review. In fact, the BMW website provides little clarification itself. However, it would appear that we're looking at a variation on BMW's "Airflow Suit". It features what BMW calls "airtex" mesh fabric - a tear-resistant Dynafil PA (polyamide) weave that, in fact, would be more tear-resistant than a comparable Cordura 500/700 mesh product and perhaps about 25% more melt resistant. But in the final analysis, the cost/benefit ratio may not persuasively argue in favor of this suit. An alternate choice to consider for hot weather use would be the Keprotec fabric used by some and by Motoport here in the USA and marketed as their Air Mesh Ultra II suit - a blend of Kevlar and PA (polyamide) fibres, in which tear and melt performance is infinitely superior and ventilation comparable. Cost is slightly higher, but in this price range, it's really academic. As always, caveat emptor!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Wow, $700+ for a summer suit or $700+ for a Works rear shock and Progressive fork springs for my K100rs. Let's see, comfort and protection at a BMW price or a suspension that works properly? Guess????????????

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Old Fashioned Alternatives

I ride in my leathers even in mid-summer. For $725, I can afford to carry a number of water bottles - even if I have to buy bottled tap water, AKA drinking water - to pour inside the leather. In fact I've done that.

But if someone were to give me one of the BMW suits in my size, I'd surely take it.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The price may be a little steep compared to

Consider a Joe Rocket Alter Ego Jacket and matching Alter Ego pants cost arround $450:

The Alter Ego has some cool features:

Meta Sport System features panels that zip off to reveal a mesh jacket, Patent Pending

Rock Tex 660 breathable outer shell

Removable waterproof inner liner

Elastic sleeve adjusters

Perforated Dual density body armor and spine pad

High density padding on shoulders, elbows and spine

Adjustable waistband

8" zipper for pant attachment

Zippers for optional Sahara Vest

Reflective safety stripe

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
It's cetainly nice top-o-the-line gear for the well heeled. I'll just have to stick with my AGV mesh gear which is pretty adequate and about as comfortable as you can get at 106 degrees+.

Although "less uncomfortable" is probably a better description than "more comfortable". Someone needs to offer a Gatorade I.V. system for those trips thru Barstow and Mesquite. Or a handlebar mounted water tank/showerhead.

At least the Harley Brethren(tm) can snicker at others who drop large wads on designer gear for a change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Old Fashioned Alternatives

"But if someone were to give me one of the BMW suits in my size, I'd surely take it."

Me too, and that's the only way I'll be getting it since I sure ain't handing over that kind of jack for one..

Wonder if ol' Fred shelled out his own $725 it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
seriously, $10 a year is nothing

and I'm not complaining about the content here, but I think you should charge $20 or $30 a year and come up with a lot more content.

hell, i pay $10 a month for some crappy recruiting service website, b/c i'm so into my LSU tigers. I dont love motorcycles quite as much as football, but i know i'd pay more than $10 a year if the content grew.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Speaking of quality, I finally stuck one of those AV46s you recommended on the boat anchor. It sticks in the turns as well as the D205 did. It remains to be seen if I can get more than the 9K miles.

If it doesn't work out it's all your fault, remember.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I got 12k and a 16d nail out of mine, I have a Pilot Road on there now. If you don't beat a Dunlop for milage you must be floggin' that ol' ***** for all she's worth..

If it doesn't work out I assure you I will feel terrible and most likely require intensive therapy for a number of months at least......

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a first gear mesh jacket that does the job.

What I need is mesh pants below 200 dollars.

That don't looked absurd . Heck I'm just trying to go one better than jeans. I looked and cannot find anything that don't make you look like a spaceman.

Must be the influence of you jackass squids.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.