Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
11,482 Posts
Re: WTF????!!!!

I wouldn't knock the USPS too badly - it's the only Federal Government Agency that is largely (at times wholly) self-sufficient.

Think about it: $0.39 to send a letter FROM anyplace in the U.S. TO anyplace in the U.S. within 2 to 4 days - Such a Deal!!

Sending a package? $8 to $10 gets you a box to stuff anything in it that fits, and it gets there within 3 days, within 10 days anyplace in the WORLD.

USPS can't be beat for small-item shipping, not even with a stick.

Now the DMV, - THAT is a waste of space...........

· Registered
11,482 Posts
Re: Lead Follow or Get out my way..kpaul's answer to the

My country doesn't do Sh!t for me - I learned that long ago. So I do it all for myself,.

· Registered
11,482 Posts
Re: U.K. riders are smarter

No, it just proves that the high-displacement Harley's and Big Metrics don't sell well because VAT and displacement-based taxes and licensing fees price these bikes too high for the perceived return.

Tiered Licensing At Work.

· Registered
11,482 Posts
Re: Oh boy

How's this gonna affect the Price of Crack down on the corner of 3rd and Uhura?

· Registered
11,482 Posts

Righto.

Now back in Line, Peasant.

· Registered
11,482 Posts

This is what? A Reference as a Refutation?

You cite yourself as a Reference.

I'll never understand the abysmal hubris you demonstrate on this bulletin board, Cook. It makes my very Soul feel Ill to ponder upon it.

We are who we pretend to be. There is no "Motorcyclist Online Face" to display for all the world to see - there is only You when you continue in this manner.

This is my final spar with you. The others are correct in their analysis of your psyche, I was wrong to doubt them.

You should consider seeking Professional Help.

· Registered
11,482 Posts

all road tax is the same for motorcyles regardless of displacement....

vat is a straight percentage of the value like any sales tax..

My Mistake - I assumed road taxes rose with displacement, much like tiered taxes on autos. Sorry about that.

And many of the Big Cruisers are at a very high price - VAT adds a hefty chunk on top of that, more that I would like to shell-out for the "privilege" of owning a "Legend".

Cruisers are not my Style, personally. But the primary reason Harley sells so well in the US is Marketing, Marketing, Marketing. If they had done the same in the UK or Europe, you'd see a LOT more Cruisers on the road, I'd bet. In fact, I seem to remember reading that they ARE ramping-up their sales-efforts overseas. "A vast, untapped Marketing Demographic" or some such crap.

· Registered
11,482 Posts

It doesn't matter. My days of arguing with him are through.

Please MOfos, don't antagonize him further simply on my account.

His slings are knotted and tangled, and his arrows and barbs are blunted by his own hand.

· Registered
11,482 Posts

H-Ds core buyers are people who have already owned one. You don't get repeat customers of you're all hype and no substance.

Perhaps, but how did they grow from that core? What about the veritible feeding frenzy that Steale... erm,..... Dealers in the '90s had over customers: "I can't sell to you, you don't live within my sales-region". Or the "I expect to see you in my Dealership AT LEAST once a Month. Within six months, if you've spent $3000 or more on accessories and T-Shirts, I'll put you on The Waiting List". This kind of crap went on not because Harley made such a great product - it was all Marketing Hype, selling the "Lifestyle" to some schlub who had more money than brains, vying desperately to fit-in and be seen as "Billy Badaz".

Don't forget the Japanese fall all over themselves trying to copy that "hype."

I'll not argue with you there. The Japanese Manufacturers have "bought in" almost a badly as the American Consumer. Harley makes a good product - and they've come a LONG way over the years. But it's not THAT good. Neither are the Japanese Copies, for that matter. They're Cruisers, fercrapsake. Possibly the MOST specialized niche in Motorcycling.

Well I'll have to disagree with you there young GPTB member.

At least we can disagree on something and not make it our life's goal to "prove the other person wrong at all costs, even dignity and credibility".

Even though you are..........

;^p~

· Registered
11,482 Posts

Oh, it's not that I'll never again respond to him - I merely refuse to engage him in mindless repartee.

I finally realize I do myself no favour crossing intellectual swords with the self-styled GMP. I'm a slow learner in that respect, it would seem. But not a "No Learner".

· Registered
11,482 Posts

That's Boehm's influence - he goes about "tasting" things. He's gettin' fatter'n Holy Hell.

I bet if he shows-up at your house, he'd polish-off the last of your pizza and beer before pluggin' up your commode.......

· Registered
11,482 Posts
I've decided that my Shop (whenever I get around to building it) will have sheetrock walls in the work area. Wallboard is FANTASTIC for holding tools after you injure yourself with them - each in their own hammer/ratchet/torquewrench/screwdriver-shaped slots............

· Registered
11,482 Posts

"I am Conehead the Libertarian! Fear my Sneer!"

· Registered
11,482 Posts

Here is a Link to a few facts about the USPS.

From the website:

"We receive no tax dollars from the federal government for our operations. We are a self-supporting agency, using the revenue from the sales of postage and postage-related products to pay expenses."

"The U.S. Postal Service is viewed by the American public as the most trusted organization for privacy among all 70 federal departments, agencies, bureaus and other entities examined in the 2006 privacy trust survey conducted by Ponemon Institute."

I was mistaken; I thought they received limited funding for their operations. I guess they eliminated that when I was a child.

This is the latest report (large pdf file) I could find on the US Treasury's website concerning the USPS - it dates from '03.

I'm sure there are later reports, but I didn't feel like wading through the site to locate them.

· Registered
11,482 Posts

I swore-off sex in 2007. Of course, that's one of those "easy resolutions" nowadays.........

· Registered
11,482 Posts

WARNING! The previous post contained UNINTENTIONAL IRONY, may not be suitable for the person whom posted it......... viewer discretion is surmised.

· Registered
11,482 Posts
Re: The real Walter Mitty

WARNING! The previous post contained UNINTENTIONAL IRONY, may not be suitable for the person whom posted it......... viewer discretion is surmised.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.