Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Banned
69 Posts
Funny right before I was banned on Cycle World, CW, I had a argument with CWs editor where I criticized his website and said it shouldn't play second to its magazine. He said I was nuts. Now looks like soon he might be looking for a new job on successful motorcycle web sites like motorcycle.com Motorcycle.com has made tremendous progress in last couple of years. Kevin, Pete, Fonzie and others deserve tremendous credit as do the forum characters. Motorcycle.com is now the premier motorcycle website not just in America but the world as the ratings and web hits prove. I really am optimistic for motorcycle web sites and pessimistic for all print rags. Print rag stories are old before they are printed, the pictures are no longer superior to what is on the web now, the racing news, news shorts, product reviews are inferior in timeliness and number to what is on the web. Every day another news paper goes out of business and it just a matter of time for the motorcycle print rags. More and more journalistic talent is concentrating on the web. Motorcycle.com is evidence of that.
Read More.

· Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
So let me guess, you were right AGAIN?? You also said this place sucked and it was going to go down the tubes without a genius like you. The only time it really sucks here is guess when?

· Registered
4,129 Posts
Hate to defend him when he's right, but the guy I wrote for couldn't generate enough to go to print those last two months. It's not just print rags, but newpapers and periodicals that are taking a hit. It's a format that's time has passed.

· Registered
2,331 Posts
I hate to disagree, but...

There will always be print media (at least in my lifetime). As the internet and WWW evolve, it will only serve to push out of business print media that is substandard and underperforming. Top quality periodicals will survive, even if/when readership declines.

· Registered
10,900 Posts
"Funny right before I was banned on Cycle World"

You were also telling them how open minded they were and how MO wouldn't tolerate you.

Anyway, bring your laptop to the beach and we'll see how well it works. Of course the sight of you at the beach might make everyone vomit onto their magazines which would make them as worthwhile as a sand-filled laptop.

· Registered
11,482 Posts
All hail Captain Obvious.

Doc_Sproc has the True of it, but anyone with a computer could see the rise of non-print media. I only wonder what took YOU so long to notice, Kcherry-picker?

· Banned
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buz thought you might want to know that some resorts have wireless for their beaches. Heck our barn (stables) has wireless. Riders refer to the stables as the barn. longride have to admit I was wrong about MO. Kevin, Pete, Fonzie have really done a great job. The ride was great. My girl kept up with me on her 250. She is just an jock. She kicks my butt on a horse. Now to dinner. Good night boys.

· Registered
591 Posts
I've let most of my subscriptions go, as far as motorcyle mags are concerned. MCN will always have a place in my mail box. The other mags just, umm, yeah sucked. I've still got Rider too, for some reason that magazine doesn't piss me off. I can't imagine a world completely devoid of print, a good book, a good article, a good newspaper on a screen is not for me.

· Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Bottom line is you can't take a computer in the can with you. Even a laptop is unweildy, that said I get the AMA magazine and the Harley one. The only ones I pay for are Automobile and MCN. Sometimes I pick up a copy of The Horse BSC or Classic Bike or even BIKE for a Brit perspective but that's it for me. I let my other subs drop one by one..

· Registered
11,482 Posts
There hasn't been a truly decent print rag in the USA since Cycle was killed-off in the late '80s.

· Registered
591 Posts
I forgot the mention RRW, hard copy and electronic. Classy, glossy and chock full of info.

MCN? No ads, straight forward reviews. I consider it the "BEST MAGAZINE". Oh yeah just went to color print. I even keep them.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Although there is a fair amount of truth to what socko has said, it's certainly not a brilliant bolt of insight. Many have been saying the same things for ten years.

I'm with Sprocket, LR, Buzz, and the others; the Web will never be able to offer some of the things that traditional print does. Newspapers are really suffering because they get a large amount of revenue from classified ads, which are mostly going to the Web. There will always be a market for some lifestyle and enthusiast mags, but there won't be as many. The ones that survive will be the ones who figure out the best way to make their digital and print assets compliment each other best.

· Registered
3,874 Posts
I find it interesting that everyone posting so far focuses on the aspects of moto-journalism that I largely rely on the on-line community to provide.

The words I read in Cycle World transcend mere product evaluations and bike comparisons. I treasure the more insightful articles about riding, going through life with motorcycles, and the wide variety of moto-life.

Online magazines have yet to cover the satisfaction that I get for a very reasonable price, from print magazines.

I won't even mention dirt riding coverage. CW doesn't do that much anymore, anyway.

· Registered
2,331 Posts
The words I read in Cycle World transcend mere product evaluations and bike comparisons. I treasure the more insightful articles about riding, going through life with motorcycles, and the wide variety of moto-life.

Online magazines have yet to cover the satisfaction that I get for a very reasonable price, from print magazines.
Good point. For ride stories, I guess we'll have to rely on Cuddy and Sarnali. Speaking of which, when do we get the next one, guys?

· Registered
3,639 Posts
I find it difficult to read articles on a computer, even though I'm stared at by two fairly large monitors all day. Much more than the 'newser' format, and I can't hang with it.

I get four print mags; Motorcycle Consumer News (not MCN, or Motor Cycle News, out of the UK), Motorcyclist, the AMA magazine and Car and Driver.

Oh, I also get Consumer Reports in print format.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.