Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
3,874 Posts
If Cycle World is hitting the bricks, maybe it's because they were just a cheerleader for Honda for the last 10 years or so. At least I'm old enough to remember when they did real reviews.
Good point, LR. Remember the old "Cycle" days, when Kevin Cameron would compleyely disassemble the bike for the article?

· Registered
44 Posts
I read a number of motorcycle websites, but still am very happy to get my issues of Cycle Canada and Sport Rider every month. Sport Rider could use someone to check their grammar now and again, but otherwise it is a good magazine. Generally better technical info than you find on the web.

But the Italian bike magazines blow everything else away. Motociclismo is really outstanding. I assume the mags in Spain are even better, since that country is motocycle crazy, but I don't read Spanish at all.

Someday we will get a true gearhead oriented bike site on the web, but it hasn't happened yet. MO comes the closest so far, maybe. MCUSA is pretty good too. For example, I don't know of any site that publishes graphs of rear-wheel torque vs rpm for all gears, as you get in the Italian magazines and sometimes in SR.

· Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I like some of the Harley oriented sites, they're still fighting the synthetic vs. dino oil wars. great stuff, they have some newbies convinced they should drain the factory HD oil out and refill it with Amsoil or Mobil 1 before the bike even leaves the dealership then change it every 1k miles afterwards.

That or the "who sells the loudest pipe" tech sections and the "I threw a bunch of aftermarket stuff on my bike, now it don't run right and HD won't fix it under warranty" rants. it's just priceless Interweb Expertise.......you almost feel sorry for the poor schmucks.

· The Toad
17,449 Posts
I like some of the Harley oriented sites, they're still fighting the synthetic vs. dino oil wars. great stuff, they have some newbies convinced they should drain the factory HD oil out and refill it with Amsoil or Mobil 1 before the bike even leaves the dealership then change it every 1k miles afterwards.

That or the "who sells the loudest pipe" tech sections and the "I threw a bunch of aftermarket stuff on my bike, now it don't run right and HD won't fix it under warranty" rants. it's just priceless Interweb Expertise.......you almost feel sorry for the poor schmucks.
I should check those out. Though the sportbike sites with the "damm US model CBR1000RRs get 3 hp less than the Euro models" threads are good entertainment as well. Runner-up are the guys who spend $thousands on suspension upgrades who never go track riding.

· Registered
11,482 Posts

· Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Throw in STN and 1 bike specific site, that's all the time I can spare.
STN is a good one, I go on there but I don't post as much, I also go on VtwinFORUM which these guys own and HDforums once in awhile. I used to go on TriumphRat.Net when I had the Trophy and Bonnies but they changed formats and I don't have a Triumph so I dropped out of that one.

· Registered
591 Posts
ADV is a soul sucking monster. Sit down open that up and you can travel to Kerwhere ever, find a thread on any bike every made its fans and detractors, play tag o rama or slip into the basement. Then suddenly realize you've spent the whole night there. You've got 2 hours till you go to work and your butt is numb. Is that what an IBA is like?

· Registered
3,874 Posts
I've met the neatest people, and participated in the neatest rides through contacts in ADV.

Recently, and old school friend tracked me down through the site, and bought a bike from me. Turns out he rode around the world.

You guys should really check it out. It's NOT just about dirt bikes.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.