Motorcycle Forums banner

The end of so-called ''freedom''?

8K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  ofreen 
#1 ·
hoorah, first post!

#2 ·
I'll admit I use to be for 'Your Own Good' laws such as helmet laws, largely to due with growing up in libral, CA. After joining the military, seen more of this country and world, put up with some really obnoxious ‘FYOG’ rules... I’ve grown to believe in Darwinism.

If you're old enough to know better, and do or don't do it anyways, be it one your head.

Pun intended.

#6 ·
"You can wear the best helmet there is, and you can be killed just as easily as the guy who is not wearing one," said Consiglio, president of the Michigan chapter of ABATE _ American Bikers Aiming Toward Education."

Based on what study Mr. Consiglio? What statistics back this statement up? I agree with the AMA a study is needed. If a long-term study says more people die who don't wear helmets then we need to have a law. Like Michigan Governor said "somebody's freedom ends where my car begins."

Too bad she was born in Canada cause she would make a great president Fiscal Conservative, Social Liberal like Arnold... hmmm...and so intelligent...

#9 ·
Vince is an, uh, interesting fellow. The man attaches a side car to his bike so he can ride all winter long. Do you know what the winters are like here in Michigan? Clearly, not every piston is firing upstairs.

He also did a horrible job of running the MSF classes in SE Michigan, but that's another rant.

#11 ·
Wearing a helmet is just good common sense. Just like wearing a seatbelt. In addition to the medical and legal costs with a rider who is injured not wearing a helmet, there is a social cost to his family and community...Helmet laws are no brainers...Riding is a priviledge not a right. Opposition to common sense laws like this make motorcycle riders look like idiots... Valuable political capital is lost....I wear a helmet when I ride a bicycle, ski, snowboard, skate board etc..

#13 ·
I agree wearing a helmet/seatbelt is common sense. I wear one of 'em every single time I'm on the road. Problem with that line of resoning is that common sense isn't common, nor does it make sense to most people.

What I have a problem with is somebody else telling me what is good for me, or in my best interest. Do you wear an bringht orange traffic vest when you ride? To ride on base, I'm required to because it is safer, prevents me becoming a sploch on the road, saves the AF from having to pay my family and retrain someone else in my stead. Would you like to see that law too? It's just common sense to the powers that govern the military. (Did I just use sense and military in the sentence?)

I believe that if that is a risk someone is comfertable with (kind-of like skydiving) let them take it. If they have been informed so they can make an educated choice, and chose what I feel is the wrong chioce, it is still thier choice. Again, Dawinism.

It might seem heartless, cycnical, or maybe I'm just an @$$. But, we are talking about adults here (the laws all said for those over 21). Let them decide what's best for thier own good, or what risks they're willing to live with, such as wither to ride in a cage, or on a bike. SOme think that's too risky as is. To each thier own.

#14 ·
One can certainly be injured or die wearing a helmet, but it's definitely not "as easy" to die wearing one as not.

The only good study to date, the Hurt report, concluded helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity. (Talk about common sense!)

However, that does *not* mean there should be a law requiring helmet use. Motorcyclists are more likely to die (helmet or not) in an accident than car drivers....should motorcycles be outlawed?

I agree it's common sense...but you can't legislate common sense. Most of the country believes it is common sense that riding a motorcycle is dangerous. Simply by riding one we're throwing common sense to the wind, so our "political capital" isn't high to begin with.

Although I always wear a helmet, I don't support helmet (or seatbelt) laws for adults. Or any "for your own good" laws for adults, for that matter.

That said, I also think we look like fools fighting to rescind helmet laws in states where they've been passed. There are better ways to spend our time/money, like educating riders and increasing public awareness.

(As an aside, true "liberalism" is based upon the belief that government should generally preserve personal liberty (hence the name), not obstruct it....so FYOG laws are not the result of true liberal thinking...and neither of the two current political parties in the US have a consistently liberal platform.)

#20 ·
Oh, come on folks.
If you value your head wear a helmet. Honest, wearing protective gear is not akin to being a "sissy".
Remember it's not always your fault when a collision occurs. I ride 110 miles a day - EVERY day- rain or shine (in Oregon). I see more brain-dead, Starbucks-drinking, cell phone-using, SUV-driving morons daily to make me conclude that going "out there" without protective gear is just too big a risk.

As my duaghter (16 yrs old) said as we rode through Daytona and saw the helmetless folks - "Must have nothing worth protecting, eh?"

To the AMA: getting behind this helmet repeal effort is one reason why I refuse to join! Don't you see that as injury rates go up for motorcyclists it affests all of us with higher insurance premiums. Wake up!

'nuf said.

#24 ·
"I see more brain-dead, Starbucks-drinking, cell phone-using, SUV-driving morons daily to make me conclude that going "out there" without protective gear is just too big a risk"

Then you should wear a helmet and refrain from telling someone else what to do.

"As my duaghter (16 yrs old) said as we rode through Daytona and saw the helmetless folks - "Must have nothing worth protecting, eh?" "

Actually you should tell your daughter that they are doing what they like, and if they REALLY wanted to protect their head, they would be in a 5 star crash rated SUV.

"To the AMA: getting behind this helmet repeal effort is one reason why I refuse to join!

Then that just makes you part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

#26 ·
I can't believe that there are so many pro-helmet-law people here. It's a useless law! How many foolios do you see wearing brain buckets/skull caps with DOT stickers slapped on the back of them? What about the folks who ride with their helmet sitting on top of their heads like they're hats? I see these far more often in states where helmets are mandated.

These are people who just don't care about the spirit of the law -- it shows that they wouldn't wear a helmet if they didn't have to, and the half-measures that they do use are juse as useless as not having a helmet in the first place.

I'm sure that some of the pro-law/anti-freedom people will argue for stricter enforcement of the helmet laws to put those people down. However, the point has been repeatedly made that if we really cared about safety legislature for our own good, motorcycle riding should be altogether outlawed. Think about it -- if you're for seatbelt legislation...there is no real motorcycle seatbelt. In a wreck, aren't you pretty much hosed on a bike? Maybe my sports car should be outlawed, because it's not as crashworthy as a station wagon, minivan, or SUV. FWIW, far-left eco freaks want to ban these larger vehicles too becuase they're heavy, blocky, and guzzle gas.

So the moral of the story is that someone else always thinks that they know what's best for you. Everyone here has seen or heard someone try to pass some laws that are 'for your own good' and I'm sure that there have been at least a few of them that we've all rolled your eyes at. We need to do away with this kind of legislation. IMO, as we pile these laws on, and the right to be a dumb@$$ wanes, personal responsibility wanes with it. People have already stopped thinking for themselves with the idea that if there's no law against it, it must be OK. This is just dangerous thinking and things like helmet and seatbelt laws are totally symptomatic of this logic. IMO, no freakin' way.

FWIW, I wear a full face helmet with as much safety gear as I can pile on every time I get on a bike -- I wear a seatbelt every time I get in the car, regardless of the law. I am not an eliteist, and I don't think that I'm better than anyone else because of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.